I'm I the only one who fears a solo hunt...

A solo hunt would be ideal, but we all need to consider an injury. What happens if you are injured to the point where you can't apply first aid to yourself?? Yes, technology allows you to send an SOS but help may still be hours away.
Comes with the territory, it's not a Disneyland ride out there.

Comerade

FNG
I much prefer hunting by myself, even on overnight trips. All my annoying habits " poof" disappear into space.
I have being doing this all my adult life, there are no disagreements, don't have to guide anyone through it, I hunt on my schedule. Also, I am more observant .

Hoodie

WKR
Basically all my hunts are 5-7 day solo trips. I´ve only backpack hunted one time with anyone else.

I´ve thought about looking for a partner for archery elk, mostly because I think two man calling set-ups can be more effective, but I haven´t yet and probably won´t. It´s nice not having to compromise on a game plan.

I´ve also got roommates who don´t really hunt but like to eat elk. The arrangement is understood to be that when I shoot one, they are on the way with pack frames and the coolers. So far this has worked beautifully.

If I had to pack all by myself I might be more amenable to the idea of company.

It´s been repeated ad nauseum, but if you go solo make sure to have a good communication plan.

A long time ago I was shed hunting and got in deep and didn't want to leave to get back to car at dark. I made a small lean-to and wrapped up in space blanket and tarp... With a pistol by my hand. Slept an hour or so b4 wind picked up to about 50mph! Next morning I was tired but ate my snax and hiked a bit b4 getting back to parking lot. A big hurdle was behind me!
Hunting high country solo for first time I wanted to check a spot a mile away from camp right before dark. I had two headlamps, a pistol and a trail. Saw two nice bucks that night. That reward changed my whole outlook. You will toss and turn and be scared but you never know til you try. Very rewarding to hunt your way on your own scedule. Hunted with my brother this year and frankly I'd rather hunt alone. Good luck!

jmez

WKR
I'll never understand anyone that fears critters or being out in the wilderness alone. It's a personality thing mainly. Some are scared, some aren't. Some can overcome it, some can't.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

TomJoad

WKR
Like many on here, most of my hunting has been solo. I think the best training for this is solo backpacking in the summer. It gives you time to dial your solo kit, get used to time alone, and realize with time that nothings going to eat you out there but your mind. The nice thing about backpacking training is there is a lot less time per-dawn and post dusk which is what seems like freaks people out the most. Scouting trips if geographically possible are a good transition option to full on hunting. This will have you packing more gear (optics) and doing some pre-dawn route finding for glassing.

As for the getting hurt part that is certainly possible. The little I have hunted with partners I find I take a lot more risks. Hunting alone focuses things a lot more, you are way more focused on movement and risk. I always give my wife my rough plans for camp locations but these are only rough plans. Sometimes they work out, but more often better options present themselves. In CO if hunting here many peaks in my GMUs I can get a few bars from good glassing locations. I use these opportunities to txt an update with new coordinates of spike camp and #of days I’m planning on being there. Most importantly for safety is being prepared to sit for awhile some place if you do get hurt. Foods not that important, water isn’t, shelter is. I’m always hiking with layers and an E kit with space blanket. Hypothermia is the concern in CO, especially in the summer at elevation.

Last edited:
I'll never understand anyone that fears critters or being out in the wilderness alone. It's a personality thing mainly. Some are scared, some aren't. Some can overcome it, some can't.

Ever walked up on a Grizzly real close or had wolves literally run right by you? It will change your outlook, trust me on this.

There's a big difference between knowing they're there, and walking on top of something you didn't want to. You're a fool in my opinion to pretend like nothing can harm you.

jmez

WKR
Used to hunt up around the Tetons. Terrace Mtn area. Had some run ins with big bears. Beartooths in Mt more recently. Saw a lot of bear and wolf sign in there, never ran across them.
Been to Alaska a couple times. Ran across big bears and wolves both there.

Can they hurt you, of course they can. Doesn't mean I'm afraid of them or afraid to go where they live.

I wouldn't be afraid, but I wouldn't assume nothing can happen either. That's what I was trying to say. I know personally I have adjusted how I hunt because of the boogeyman.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
The vast majority of my hunting has been solo, but there's a few people that I would always have with me if life allowed it to happen. I like hunting with other people because I appreciate the accountability. It's a lot easier to rationalize crawling out of a warm sleeping bag and up a godforsaken ridge at 4AM when someone else is doing it with you. And it's a lot easier to stay motivated through four days of rain when you want your buddy to succeed, too.

As far as injuries go, I feel a lot safer by myself because I get to move at my own slow and steady pace.

As far as things that go bump in the night, I always just mentally fast forward to the next morning and think about how I will view the same patch of ground then. Will you still be worried about Wendigos at 9AM? No? Then get some rest.

It's all risk assessment, and we as humans can be pretty poor at it, especially in developed first world countries where government has regulated safety into everything.

We've all heard that statistically you're more likely to get hurt on the drive to your hunting spot than actually hunting (I haven't researched if that's actually true), but I've never seen a thread "driving alone in the dark scares me." Walking up on a grizzly is no more risky than a semi cutting you off at highway speeds, but we sure think about it differently.

Kilboars

WKR
I don’t feared I’m just afraid I may like it and become a loner.

Getting friends together to hunt takes work sometimes but it creates everlasting bonds that you won’t get sitting against the tree by yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk