In field bow repair kit

gostovp

WKR
In your elk hunting daypack or multi-day pack, do you pack a bow repair kit? And if so, what do you pack? I have a Mathews V3X and it’s compatible with the Stay Afield System, which can be used to relax the pressure on the string and each cable … ( Bow can’t be disassembled or reassembled in case of derailment or string breakage with this, but changes are possible)….so I was thinking to pack the SAS system, extra string and cables with peep and Dloop, Allen wrenches, piece of serving material, piece of d loop material… anything I’m missing?

on me, I carry a spare d loop, the allen wrenches for my rest and sight, and a spare battery for my rangefinder. I think I have a generic piece of moleskin that could go on my hamskea launcher or the arrow shelf if needed too. In the truck is always a fresh set of strings. My brother did have a derailment going through brush a couple of years ago, 2 strong dudes and a rachet strap got him back in the game (no SAS). I've considered having my press in the truck, but haven't brought it yet.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Yeah I’ve wondered about brining the press in the truck.. I have an EZ Green …but man that’s a lot of room for something

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe something at the truck, but I've never carried anything in the field. if i have something come loose or have to do a field repair i don't think id trust shooting it at an animal. seems like extra weight.

87TT

WKR
I have a backup and a backup backup. They are usually at home unless I’m hunting more than a couple hours from home. All three are setup the same. Same sights, rest, etc. slip the quiver off one and on to the next.

BDRam16

WKR
Total overkill and needless weight. If you’re scared of strings coming off in the brush get one of those stretchy covers that covers up the cams and strings. There is absolutely no world where I would replace strings in the woods and trust shooting an animal with something I haven’t test fired and checked tune/sight in.

Some Allen wrenches and maybe a spare d loop is more than enough.

I made a hitch mount for my press so the subaru is an archery shop on wheels lol, no need for me to carry anything extra in the woods.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Total overkill and needless weight. If you’re scared of strings coming off in the brush get one of those stretchy covers that covers up the cams and strings. There is absolutely no world where I would replace strings in the woods and trust shooting an animal with something I haven’t test fired and checked tune/sight in.

Some Allen wrenches and maybe a spare d loop is more than enough.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I’m not to scared of a derailment from brush, I’m more concerned with a string failure from a broadhead nick or something. But I think I’ll keep the SAS and the sting set at the truck and carry the few Allen keys I need, a piece of d loop, a piece of string serving, and a piece of felt/moleskin.

BDRam16

WKR
That actually makes a lot of sense. I’m not to scared of a derailment from brush, I’m more concerned with a string failure from a broadhead nick or something. But I think I’ll keep the SAS and the sting set at the truck and carry the few Allen keys I need, a piece of d loop, a piece of string serving, and a piece of felt/moleskin.
Ya I agree. I could see changing them at the truck and having a chance to double check point of aim/impact. Even then though…unless you’re shooting both sets of strings equally one could be more stretched out or one might need a twist added or something. I personally bring a back up bow instead of messing with it. Anything goes wrong on my bow and I’ll switch it out.

That being said….I have beat the snot out of bows for a long time and never needed to swap one out mid trip lol

4rcgoat

WKR
I carry a few small Allen wrenchs,couple feet of serving material, spare d-loop and most importantly a spare release.

I’ve been bowhunting for about 23 years. I think an Allen wrench set is all I have ever brought.

For all you guys leaving a back up bow in your truck, what time of year are you guys hunting?

If it’s august/September your back up bow is going to have bad limbs fairly quick.

BDRam16

WKR
I’ve been bowhunting for about 23 years. I think an Allen wrench set is all I have ever brought.

For all you guys leaving a back up bow in your truck, what time of year are you guys hunting?

If it’s august/September your back up bow is going to have bad limbs fairly quick.
At the elevation I am at the last two weeks of September the heat hasn’t been an issue. But I doubt I’ll even bring it this year.

Also curious if you have personal experience with limb issues or have just heard about it? Because back in the day I didn’t know leaving it in the truck was frowned upon and my bowtech (with notorious limb issues) spent two summers in a row inside my truck baking in the sun and I never had a single issue and it still shoots bullet holes fine. Not advocating for this at all and I never leave my bow in the truck now unless I absolutely have to, but it seems a bit exaggerated with modern bows.

My buddy left his bowtech insanity in his car for one day in the summer, one of the limbs came apart.