In field bow repair kit

rclouse79

WKR
I’ve been bowhunting for about 23 years. I think an Allen wrench set is all I have ever brought.

For all you guys leaving a back up bow in your truck, what time of year are you guys hunting?

If it’s august/September your back up bow is going to have bad limbs fairly quick.
I always worried about this as well after my hunting partner had a bow explode in the back of his car during college. Before I sold my backup bow I would hide it in the brush where ever I was hunting. Now I have just accepted the fact that my weekend is over if something catastrophic happens.
I found an Allen wrench at cabelas that has all the sizes for my sight and other accessories. I throw in that along with some d loop material and serving string.

Dloop, allen keys, spare batteries, flat stone, moleskin, small bag of random arrow parts such as nocks, collars, etc. have toyed with bringing stuff to fletch or tune but id like to believe im more prepared than that going into the hunt.

WMag338

WKR
Outside of a D loop, to me, there is no point in carrying anything else in the field. If you have spare strings, the tune of the bow will change - hopefully only slightly. It needs to be shot and made sure your tune is correct. Will have to sight it in again. Wayyyyyy to risky and time consuming for me. I bring a backup bow in the truck - tuned and ready to go.

Cfriend

FNG
Just wondering: has anyone ever had a dloop break? I have never had one come off or break, - is it at all common?.

Of course it's so easy to take along I guess there's no reason not to have one...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
Just wondering: has anyone ever had a dloop break? I have never had one come off or break, - is it at all common?.

Of course it's so easy to take along I guess there's no reason not to have one...

I never have, but I imagine it is not pretty if one goes mid draw. I let a friend try to shoot my bow and he put his finger on the trigger mid draw and gave himself a big old fat lip. I no longer let inexperienced people shoot my bow.

BDRam16

WKR

Kind of. Not full blown break, but it had gotten frayed to the point my release (a momentary style that, not a solid click that stays open or closed) decided the material was just thin enough to pass through and launched an arrow who knows where and I had a sore jaw for a week lol.

My fault for not inspecting the D loop better, but even when I did afterwards I wouldn’t have expected it to do what it did. I switched to a positive click style release after that.

BDRam16

WKR
A rokslider had his limbs fail in a hot car just this week: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/bow-in-hot-car.317837/
Just went through that whole post. Interesting that the bow mentioned here was also a Bowtech Insanity. I must have just been lucky because my bow was strapped to the back of my seat for like 2 years straight lol. I am lucky that I can shoot it if I have down time at work so I just kept it with me. Now my Mathews comes out of the truck and into the building the second I pull in lol.

I have only had a d loop break a couple times. I used to shot a lot, 5-7 days a week. It was completely obvious my d loop needed to be replaced, and I procrastinated doing it. The d loop would be frayed really bad.

Certain styles of releases cause more wear on the d loop.

Just went through that whole post. Interesting that the bow mentioned here was also a Bowtech Insanity. I must have just been lucky because my bow was strapped to the back of my seat for like 2 years straight lol. I am lucky that I can shoot it if I have down time at work so I just kept it with me. Now my Mathews comes out of the truck and into the building the second I pull in lol.
that era of bowtechs, up through the btx, were notorious for limb failures.

Spare bow at truck (or base camp on a fly-in) for me. In +50 years of bowhunting I damaged a string and limb in a talus slope tumble hunting Stone sheep. Bow needed a new limb and string set. That’s been about it.

That said I do take a few Allen wrenches, unwaxed dental floss for serving and wind checker, a spare launcher arm for the Ripcord (broken a couple but not in the back country).

Forgot to add I carry some string wax in my pack. A huge majority of my hunts are backpack hunts. The string gets pretty dried out being outside 24/7 in August September.

If I’m hunting out of a truck camp I don’t carry anything in my pack for my bow

87TT

WKR
I Know I have others in my pack but in the "tool" kit I have a small Bic lighter too.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
I carry no repair supplies in the field. If away from home I'm always with a partner, so if my bow goes down, I'll be head packer/caller for them and we'll worry about getting an animal down before worrying about my bow. I can pick up about any bow within 3/4" either way of my draw length and shoot it proficiently for hunting distance with some practice shots, so I'd just use my son's or brother's bow in that case. Bow going down has never been an issue, however.

I do carry my archery tackle box in the truck. I also used loops of paracord and a ratchet strap to fashion a "bow press" that lets me do most things I'd be willing to do at the truck. Never had to, but it's an option.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk