Increase in Political Arguing & Banter?

Should Mods Create a Political Sub-Forum?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Warmsy

WKR
I prefer no change. Im interested, in these hobbies and pursuits, what other people have to say on certain issues.

Some iif the threads on bills being proposed got me to be active, like the bear hunting ban in California. If I didn't see it on here, I would not have donated to the cause... and probably would not have known about it.

Also, I like that the rules state that you cannot be disrespectful. There are arguments and disagreements, but nothing like some of the other corners of the internet. Im not seeing strings of expletives and terrible accusations and overplayed terms like "racist", and others.

I've learned a lot from this site- hunting, politics, other things. If im bored, I might read through what I know will be a shitshow, and I might learn something.

mlgc20

WKR
It’s easy to avoid. Some threads are obvious to avoid all together. And there is a consistent cast of characters that want to inject politics into everything. Try the “Ignore” feature. Block a couple of folks and your experience here will improve significantly.

grfox92

WKR
I hate the Political and Vaccination threads. Not what I'm looking for when I come to rokslide.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
I say no politics at all. This is a hunting forum, take politics to a political forum.
News flash. Politics directly affect every single thing you and I do every single day.

I have to admit that most of the time politics turns me off too. However, everything we know and love and come to this forum for are direct results of political decisions. It is ignorant and irresponsible of true outdoorsmen and women not to at least pay some attention to what is going on in the political world that has a direct effect on us.

Again, I agree that political arguments on the inter webs are very unfruitful most of the time, but I will guarantee you that every one of us will whine and complain when access is shut down, or gun control is escalated, or tags allocations change, or a million other things. If your not willing to take a stand and let your voice be heard then I don’t think you have any right whatsoever to whine and complain when things don’t go your way.

But that’s just my opinion, thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Those saying yes because you dont want it in other threads are not going to get what you want. First, it will attract a certain type that only want to argue politics. These people wont keep it in the politics forum. Second, most of the political crap we see gets interjected into good hunting threads by people that cannot function without crying about politics. So, do all threads that get hijacked get moved to the political forum?

If Rokslide wants to get serious about eliminating the political BS they need to get serious about banning the same people that you can count on to keep instigating the crap.

Mosby

WKR
I don't know how we escape politics in our lives. Hunting, gun ownership, land access, tags and licenses are all becoming political issues. Where do we expect people to get information that impact those issues if not here?

I saw the thread on Vaccinations. I didn't open it or read it. It wasn't difficult. For a number of reasons, I wasn't interested in the discussion but I don't fault others for discussing it. My son works at the FDA and has a Doctorate in Pharmacology. He has given me all the information I need to make a decision but not everyone has access to that level of information. I don't see anything wrong with it. If I am not interested in a thread or don't want to get involved, I don't read it or I read it and move on.

Internet forums are the most powerful tool available to the average guy because it is a source of information that allows people to ask questions, give opinions and get answers. You don't have to read it or agree with it but the worst thing we can do IMO is eliminate it. There seems to be a lot of people in our society that don't want discussion or debate unless they approve of your opinion and its costing people jobs and careers. I am sure there are people that would like to eliminate this site altogether.

Most of the threads on here are about hunting, hunts, products or asking for information on something or somewhere. I haven't seen or noticed a lot of political threads and I have tried to avoid them until recently. I think its ok for people to disagree and have differences of opinion and I appreciate a forum that allows that personally, as long as it is kept above board. No reason to make it personal and I think the moderators do a great job with it.

Rob5589

WKR
What if the politics crosses into the realm of hunting?
No problems with that in general. But what happens is people start interjecting their opinions/beliefs/BS. Post up the issue so people are aware then immediately lock the thread to keep it from turning it into a shitshow.

Like others have said, most arguments on here stay pretty respectful and if not the mods do a great job shutting it down or banning people who can't act semi decently. A lot of these political thread are based around policy that could or will affect you as an outdoorsman.
If you don't want to read them, simply don't.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
No. A political subforum would only make it worse.

Now, if the political subforum was isolated in that threads did not show up in new posts and people could not follow threads, it might be a little different. Still, people have plenty of other places they can discuss this stuff and I don't think containment is a functional strategy.

I liked locking threads that got off topic. I know doing that gets tiresome for the mods though as people complain about it. It also places the mods in a position I'm sure they would rather not be in.

It is an endless problem, people refuse to take responsibility for their own actions while expecting others to accommodate their actions without question in the name of those other people taking personal responsibility.

While we are banning things:

- skinny jeans
- neck beards
- fedoras
- man buns
- creamy lotiony hands that can’t grip a tackle box

i also think we should have a sub forum for discussing Ryan “ole Cal” Callaghan That guy is a damn sexual 🦖🦖🦖.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Forums are like a TV or Radio ... if you don't like what you are hearing change the channel. If you don't like a thread, don't click on it.

There are a number of politically oriented threads here that actually have good content on a topic and I have learned some things.

I think the mods here do a good job of keeping this site focused on hunting, shooting, etc. and guiding the other stuff in a more productive manner.

EastMT

WKR
There are 5000 places to go enjoy a never ending circular political argument. Don’t ruin the Slide with that BS. It’s on dang near every subject here recently, I even backed off Rokslide usage because I was getting tired of the same stupid I’m right, you’re wrong, you dumb, me smart rah rah rah.

Shut up and post some hero shots, something useful, or if you like post your favorite hunting GPS coordinates.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
1. If you don’t want to read threads that offend or bore you then don’t. It really is that simple. It does give you a soapbox for extreme whining though, I won’t take that away from you.

2. There is no topic more important or having more to do with hunters and sportsmen in general than topics that have direct impact with our laws, freedoms, and liberty. NOTHING more important to hunters I will say again. Now you have every right to remain apathetic, there is nothing the leftists that want to take your rights away want more than that. They desperately need sheep. For those that want to protect our Constitutional protections and be able to pursue our interests you had better be active and involved. Everywhere.

def90

WKR
While we are banning things:

- skinny jeans
- neck beards
- fedoras
- man buns
- creamy lotiony hands that can’t grip a tackle box

i also think we should have a sub forum for discussing Ryan “ole Cal” Callaghan That guy is a damn sexual 🦖🦖🦖.

I would add those stupid news boy hats to this list as well..

Ty619

FNG
I think it’s funny that most people in this thread have voiced some opinion in the majority of these “Problem” political threads. And, bitch at the new guys cause they asked a question that’s been hit already. Every question known to hunting has been answered here already lol. Should we archive the site and stop any new posts?

It’s kinda, ya know, one of the things that makes this country great. Freedom of choice / speech. And seeing this is in all reality, a HUNTING site that strongly exercises constitutional rights, I.e. gun ownership, public land use etc, wouldn’t we at the core, be against censorship? Maybe exercise freedom of choice and just pass by the all so offensive thread. THE FACT YOURE ON HERE IS “OFFENSIVE “ TO MILLIONS.

This country is going in a direction I do not believe any of us have seen. I guess it will all get better, like most problems in life , if we pretend everything is GREAT! Enough of the Cancel Culture already.

Rich M

WKR
Why is it so difficult for folks who won't want to read about politics to not read the political posts?

Sitting there in a sweat, trying to not click on the thread. Back and forth. Aaaugh! And they click as the blood pressure rises. LOL some folks need constant supervision. LOL