InReach Issue

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I have had this unit since 2015. No issues. I utilize the month to month plan. (1-2 months a year).

This year, I updated/synced before hunt as usual. Now I take it hunting.

Keep in mind, I leave it off in my pack most of the time. In a normal day, I turn it on at end of day and send preset message to family. Day 1- I pull out of pack and find unit is powered. Dang! It used ~ 15% of battery. OK. Pay closer attn next time. Day 2-Same experience. Unit is powered. WTH! I even tried wrapping it in my puffy. Still accidentally powered unit.

It appears the most recent sync/firmware update enables a momentary power button push to power up unit. (In the past, user had to hold power button for 3 sec) Same goes for turning it off. I tested and found that even a quick press would power unit. This functionality even goes contrary to the instruction label on the back of unit!

This is a serious issue for myself. In the past, I just stuff it in my pack as an insurance policy. I could use unit for 2 weeks without recharging. Powering it when I needed.

Has anyone had similar experience? (I am going to submit to Garmin as a complaint)

Attachments

• InReach.jpg
    InReach.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 24

rideold

WKR
Yikes. If the software update did that it kind of makes the unit less useful! I haven't updated mine yet this season.....I'll have to try and see if the same thing happens.

If it does I might have to find a hard case for it!

rideold

WKR
OK, I just updated mine. The power button still acts the same with the 3 second hold to turn it on. Not sure what's going on with yours. Mine is the same vintage. If I leave mine on all day it doesn't use as much battery as yours but I don't have it dropping tracking points.

I can understand how that would be concerning/frustrating. Thank you for the warning. I’ll pay extra attention the next time I sync and update.

I have a 2017 vintage Delorme unit and a similar use pattern to your description, maybe a little more. I synced and updated August 15 before a hunt and all worked well. No power button issue but will watch for it in a few weeks.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

OP
Z

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Update- I did contact Garmin and they will be following up next week. (The call taker did not have an InReach SE to test with)

OP
Z

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Final Update. This is response from Garmin. (WTH!) Being a tech guy, what Garmin should have done is enable capability in firmware for user to choose which power up method they desire. ) IE Momentary or 3 sec hold.

Hello Brian,

The changes to the way the inReach device powers on with the new updates were due to a feature request by many users of the device. If you have issues with your inReach device powering on in a backpack, it is advisable that you either purchase a hard case for your inReach device, or find another way to carry it where it isn't being pressed upon during transport.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

rideold

WKR
Sounds to me like a case of "planned obsolescence". I bet Garmin would prefer to not be supporting an inherited device from their buyout of Delorme! Who the heck wants a device that powers on with a single tap of a button? My cell phone doesn't do that....nor does my vintage Garmin GPS unit. I wonder why your unit changed after the last update but mine didn't. Mine was purchased in August of 2016.

OP
Z

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds to me like a case of "planned obsolescence". I bet Garmin would prefer to not be supporting an inherited device from their buyout of Delorme! Who the heck wants a device that powers on with a single tap of a button? My cell phone doesn't do that....nor does my vintage Garmin GPS unit. I wonder why your unit changed after the last update but mine didn't. Mine was purchased in August of 2016.
You could be right. I purchased my unit in 2015.

It irks me that they introduced an issue (They define as "feature request") into the device, and now it is MY problem to resolve.

I have had this unit since 2015. No issues. I utilize the month to month plan. (1-2 months a year).

This year, I updated/synced before hunt as usual. Now I take it hunting.

Keep in mind, I leave it off in my pack most of the time. In a normal day, I turn it on at end of day and send preset message to family. Day 1- I pull out of pack and find unit is powered. Dang! It used ~ 15% of battery. OK. Pay closer attn next time. Day 2-Same experience. Unit is powered. WTH! I even tried wrapping it in my puffy. Still accidentally powered unit.

It appears the most recent sync/firmware update enables a momentary power button push to power up unit. (In the past, user had to hold power button for 3 sec) Same goes for turning it off. I tested and found that even a quick press would power unit. This functionality even goes contrary to the instruction label on the back of unit!

Thank you for the follow up info.
I agree, not a desired feature in my opinion.

For further clarification….the update allows your unit to power on with a quick press of the button. I assume that also means that the confirmation step has been eliminated? Currently, my unit requires a few seconds of holding the “on/check” button and a rocker button “left” entry to select Power On and another “check” button press to accept and move to a functioning menu.

OP
Z

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the follow up info.
I agree, not a desired feature in my opinion.

For further clarification….the update allows your unit to power on with a quick press of the button. I assume that also means that the confirmation step has been eliminated? Currently, my unit requires a few seconds of holding the “on/check” button and a rocker button “left” entry to select Power On and another “check” button press to accept and move to a functioning menu.
You are 100% correct. That is exactly how my unit previously operated.

Since the solutions from Garmin are not cutting it, (And I am not holding my breath that they will implement my "feature request") I plan on finding some hard plastic and using JB Weld to build a "guard" around the power button.

Side note. Since the InReach/Delorme version is no longer mfg, I cannot find any 3rd party mfg who make protective cases which would protect button.

rideold

WKR
I wonder if it is worth doing a factory re-set and then update again. It would mean you'd have to re-set the device up but it might be worth a try. It just seems odd that your device is acting different after the latest sync/update but mine isn't.

Do you still have to press a button and then select unlock when it is powered on to access the main screen or does it just go straight to the main screen when you press a button after powering on?

Mine is hardware version 2.2 and firmware version 3.2 (635904)

rideold

WKR
or maybe just a soft reset:

"To soft reset, hold the X and the Down buttons at the same time for 60 seconds. Once the time has elapsed, release the buttons and power it on normally, by holding the Check button for a couple seconds until the power on confirmation screen appears."

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same unit, just used mine for 3 weeks and it has not changed the way it powers up. Mine is on Hardware version 2.1, and firmware version 3.2 (635904)

Not a very good option to have with the unit powering up by just touching the button

I reactivated my Garmin Inreach Explorer freedom plan subscription a couple weeks ago and the device would not send or receive messages. I performed factory reset, plugged into my computer and updated firmware, factory reset two more times, and it just would not work.

I went to check the price of new Inreach devices and saw they were $300. I'm waiting for a callback from support to see if they could do anything. Billing department was nice enough to refund my month's subscription fee with a 5 minute phone call.