Insuring hunting gear?

I don't know if this sounds crazy but has anyone looked into insuring hunting equipment? My insurance offers coverage on firearms and "high value" items, and I know some of us have thousands of dollars of gear?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have my geovids itemized no deductible and all risk coverage....additionally all my personal property has enhanced coverage versus named peril with deductible with no limit on guns

WKR
I made sure my family would benefit from term life insurance. I own car and house insurance as well. Its all the insurance I need. I am always disappointed to hear of younger guys with families who are too cheap to buy term life insurance. Have seen it end very badly for a number of families in my life.

So I guess replacing binos never worried me.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Aside from limited coverage on your homeowners or renters policy for firearms, jewelry, furs etc. your camping gear should be covered under personal property away from home up to 10% of your contents coverage and subject to your deductible.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Linedawg

Lil-Rokslider
I took out a policy on my swaro els nightforce scope and Mesa 7 mag covers loss damage and theft for I think 8$ a month I saved a long time to get that stuff so it seams pretty cheap to me

MTSabo

WKR
I thought about it but never did. I need to see whats covered under my current homeowners policy.

OP
D
Would home owners cover things if say you were traveling and had your things stolen though?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Scottyboy

WKR
My gear doesn’t last long enough to warrant insurance. I’ve never had a concern with any of it being stolen, but I also do not do any remote hunts or truck camping that might raise those concerns for me

Linedawg

Lil-Rokslider
check with your insurance and give them a scenario of your hunting stuff getting stolen from 1 your house 2 your vehicle and see how much they would pay out ,that’s what I did and is why I have a separate policy for high end gear

Lots of suggestions with people stating to check with your agent. I know my homeowners policy will only cover up to $2500 in firearms total from theft or fire from home only. I have all my expensive pieces insured individually

As far as theft out in the field, my policy will only cover stolen items if they were in the vehicle or rv. So again most of my expensive pieces are covered individually. Items that i have insured include a pair of swaro el’s, zeiss spotting scope, 2 rifles, 2 scopes, 2 mountain bikes, and a Sig Kilo ballistic rangefinder. I set a benchmark for myself that anything newer than 5 years old and had a purchase price of $1,200 or more is worth insuring for now. Though i own more guns and optics than that i feel that self insuring anything older and had a cheaper purchase price than my benchmark was the best decision. All the Sport pieces cost my insurance less than $50 a year per piece to insure. It gets too expensive trying to protect everything at all times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
It cost me an extra 2 bucks a month to get my optics and guns insured on my renters policy. It was a no brainer for me.

Never really crossed my mind until I came home from work one day and all my duck hunting stuff was gone from drying out. Called and got extra coverage right after I dealt with that. It was kick in the sack to have that disappear, I would hate to see what it felt like to have my spotting scope and binos disappear.

KHNC

WKR
Anyone in NC or SC that would like answers to these questions, feel free to ask. I have been an agent 28 years in these states. A lot of good info already in this thread.

Rob5589

WKR
Firearms have specific coverage. The rest of my gear would be covered under general home owners. My company only provides 2500 for firearms which for most enthusiasts is nowhere near enough.

Your policy might have a limit, say $2500 on guns, or optics, and if you have a $1000 deductible, you might end up with about $200 for your $1200 binos.

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
Just went through this after we got robbed. My policy only covered about 75% of the total value of what was stolen. I guess in the box ammo depreciates......

Shraggs

WKR
Our homeowners policy has some real limitations in terms of the kind of value I have tied up in weapons, optics, fishing equipment, knife collection and stereo system.

My wife’s wedding rings are covered under a seperste rider. So far I’ve itimized my knives and opened another rider and will do the same for the rest areas noted above. No way our excellent policy could remotely cover half of my optics or fire arms.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Just went through this after we got robbed. My policy only covered about 75% of the total value of what was stolen. I guess in the box ammo depreciates......
Talk to your agent. If you have replacement value they have to give you the cost to replace whatever it is. If you have ACV (actual cash value) they will depreciate the property. If youbdobhave an ACV policy I would urge you to change it to replacement cost.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk