Inverter generator help

sasquatch

WKR
I have a Yamaha 2000 inverter generator. It’s always worked fine. Before storing I’d always turn the fuel off and let it run out. Last year when I put it up all was good.

So, I take it out the other day and can’t get it to start/run. Finally I went and got some starter fluid and it would run on it but then die.

I pulled the carb and cleaned it (just a simple carb cleaner spray down) not a full on break down of every little piece. After that it would start up and run fine, but then it would die if I turned the choke off. With the choke on it would run fine.

Since then, I broke the carb down again and pulled the pilot jet and cleaned it good, then again gave the whole carb another good spraying. (I forgot to mention the carb never did look bad even on the first go prior). Anyway, after this time, It will run fine with the ECO switch on at minimum idle, no choke needed. However, if I turn the ECO switch off, it’ll rev up and run fine for say 10-20 seconds then die down unless I pull the choke out. When I push the choke back in it does the same thing, in about 10-20 seconds it will die. Kinda seems like it’s running out of fuel (same thing it does when I turn fuel off and let it run out). I verified the fuel line is clear and flowing good

Any ideas? I’m about to just bring it to a shop as I don’t have a lot of time to keep playing with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Weldor

WKR
Did you look at the needle valve in the carb. My small gas motors constantly plug up at float and needle valve. Ethenal in the gas trashes small engine carbs. Usually take a piece of small wire and rod out a nice gel rod out of the passage after that runs good til I store it again. (run the fuel out of all of them)

OP
S

sasquatch

WKR
The needle valve looked good, I pulled it out and sprayed it down also, float seemed to move freely and easily

I did not blow into the tank but did pull the hose off and let it flow, a good solid stream of fuel flows out.

Jethro

WKR
I can't offer any help with the carb repair but wanted to say, I have seemed to have better luck when I don't let the carb run dry for storage. I use E free gas and just shut the engine off and then turn fuel off just so it won't drain tank if something should happen. But I let the carb full for storage. Generator, snow blower, lawn mowers, and all the engines at work this way. I also treat the gas with Stabil.

49ereric

WKR
Add a small amount of mystery oil to the gas and keep it running if possible.
straight seafoam and no gas is another choice.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I had a similar problem with my Honda. I pulled the carb, cleaned it, put it back together, same issue so I pulled carb again, and found the smallest piece of whatever in the seat of the needle valve. I put it back together and it runs like a champ ever since. My next step would have been new carb.

I haven't worked on a Yamaha, but my Honda inverter gen has an idle adjustment screw on the carb. I've had to play with that adjustment screw in the past to get a smooth idle.

OP
S

sasquatch

WKR
The idle is smooth and run with cap off no change.

I may have to just bring it somewhere or just get. New carb and be done with it.

I have two of these, maybe I can swap carbs and see first.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The idle is smooth and run with cap off no change.

I may have to just bring it somewhere or just get. New carb and be done with it.

I have two of these, maybe I can swap carbs and see first.

Putting the carb from operational gen. would answer ur question if the switch worked. let us know how it gets resolved.