Iron will chipping

rvalleyp

FNG
I bought 3 wide and 3 single bevels to compare. Last week I shot a buck with the wide, pass through and stuck in a tree behind him. The broadhead looked as good as new
Tonight I shot a doe with the single bevel pass through again but the broadhead has considerable chipping. The doe was in a food plot, shouldn’t be any rocks or anything like that. Has anyone else had any this issue?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 209

stonewall

WKR
If I understood what was said on that meateater podcast, sounds like single bevel is more prone to that than the double. I was planning to buy some single bevel until I heard that. On the fence now

UtahJimmy

WKR
I tried some a couple of years ago when they still offered a warranty. I had the same issue. Same problem, no warranty anymore.
They still offer their warranty:
93082a6b9ad646e47019f373a6d992d8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
rvalleyp

rvalleyp

FNG
Honestly a gravel in the dirt could do that.

Heck as dry as we are, I think just the dirt could do that right now.
I'm hunting river bottom ground (sandy soil) that gets worked each year for food plots.
If its to be acceptable because of how dry it is okay. but they are advertised as being made out of extremely hard steel to be very durable. guys online are shooting these heads in concrete, and sheets of steel without damage.

Quest1000

FNG
I’m shooting single bevel as well and shot a doe, it blew through the femur which is cool but it’s also chipped and out of tune. Probably have to send in for warranty.

Ucsdryder

WKR
They still offer their warranty:
93082a6b9ad646e47019f373a6d992d8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Their original warranty was a no questions asked warranty. The new warranty is only good when it passes through an animal. Mine was when I missed an animal. Would not qualify under the NEW warranty.

JoeDirt

WKR
I have a couple heads I practice with and shoot into dirt and rocks that look better than that!

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot plenty of animals with the iron wills and will no longer purchase them. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze. Just about every head has been a single use head. The edge goes completely dull, chips badly or it rolls. This has been consistent from whitetails to moose. I went back to grim reapers and slick tricks this year. It’s too much money for a disposable head like the IW

I'm hunting river bottom ground (sandy soil) that gets worked each year for food plots.
If its to be acceptable because of how dry it is okay. but they are advertised as being made out of extremely hard steel to be very durable. guys online are shooting these heads in concrete, and sheets of steel without damage.

I think they are about the best thing available for edge retention. Still you can only ask so much. I don't know about your ground, but our river bottoms are still full of fine gravel with the sandy loam or clay loam soil. Putting a sharp edge in dirt you are going to have issues.

Might be you don't find it worth it, you can send it back since you shot something with it. I imagine you could touch it up fine as well. I don't use the SB, don't find it needed, I use the double bevels. Easy enough to touch up, once they get really bad they are just a practice head/grouse, or buy just the replacement blades.

Sapcut

WKR
Chipped edges are certainly a no go. I had an Abowyer head chip like that but never a Tuffhead. Tuffheads are the best I've seen anywhere.

OP
rvalleyp

rvalleyp

FNG
you guys that have had the same issue is it only with single bevel? like I said in the op I shot the wide through a deer and the broadhead was completely imbedded in a tree, came out looking fine.

As far as warranty if this is a freak deal that never happens I would look into warranty. If it's somewhat common I won't hunt with single bevels.
thanks for the input

KHNC

WKR
I’ve shot plenty of animals with the iron wills and will no longer purchase them. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze. Just about every head has been a single use head. The edge goes completely dull, chips badly or it rolls. This has been consistent from whitetails to moose. I went back to grim reapers and slick tricks this year. It’s too much money for a disposable head like the IW
Check out the SIK fixed heads. Design is Similar and seem to be tough after a miss and 3 dead deer as well. Way less money.

bsnedeker

WKR
"Extremely hard steel" is prone to chipping. Soft steels roll over, hard steels chip...that's how it works.

Love my Iron Wills when they are brand new but I’ve had both of my single bevels chip when shot into first animal and I am unable to remove enough material by hand to get them out. Maybe if I had a belt grinder or something but Im not getting that far into it. I swallowed the high cost of these expecting them to last a very long time and be reusable over and over. That has not been my experience if you only have stones to sharpen by hand due to the chipping. Probably still a good choice for someone that has more experience/tools for resharpening but not for me. Im going to either switch to the double bevel and see if they hold an edge longer or go back to something softer/cheaper that I personally am able to sharpen or just throw away and buy more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
Did you kill the deer? If so case closed the broadhead did what it was supposed to.

WoodBow

WKR
I would try the double bevels before you abandon ship.

I expect a lot out of a $30+ head but a fine edge is just going to take damage when smashing into bone at high speed.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Did you kill the deer? If so case closed the broadhead did what it was supposed to.
If that’s your arguement why use a 40 dollar head. A 10 dollar magnus stinger will kill the hell out of an animal too and you can send it back for a replacement with no questions asked if you choose.