Is a .22 ok for elk?

TheGDog

WKR
Dunno about Elk, but I know I found a .22 cal LRN embedded just under the hide of the Mule Deer I took with a bow. I remember thinking how EFF'd up that was that somebody hurt this mofo like that. Can you imagine having to limp around... without being able to go to the store to get some food? No NSAIDS. Just sucking it up for months until it healed over and became this lump in your body? Soooo not cool.
22 bullet found in frt shoulder of buck.jpg

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
Load up some CCI bird bois in there, aim at the sun, I think 600 yards is doable.

I know it's slightly off topic but I since the PRC and Western have been mentioned I thought y'all deserved to know about the ultra top secret 6 and 6.5 PRCWesternHornet that is now in final stages of development and soon to be released. The powers to be feel these two new cartridges will revolutionize the shooting world. I was able to obtain a photo of these two new cartridges next to their parent case but you can't tell anyway about it because I promised I wouldn't show anyone so shhhhh keep it a secret between us.
View attachment 258509
Everyone knows the .22 Hornet AI is where it's at for elk... don't let the man buns invade this sacred realm!

this thread already exists, with pages of impressive testimony, if you really are curious about a 22 cal on big animals, plenty of pictures.... there's even a moose with some big busted up bones. ;)

would it be my choice for big critters? no, but i don't hunt elk with a gun, but if all of this stuff was broke down, all of the small cartridge haters should be totally against archery hunting as well, because those little underpowered cartridges look to make a more disruptive wound channel than my arrows do, and reliably break bones that even a heavy arrow will not do reliably.

if folks are having good success with what they choose to use, a bigger cartridge won't make them deader.... if someone experiences poor performance based on their equipment, it's on them to adapt, if they are unwilling to, that same person is gonna have issues with any weapon they use.... you have to care, if you don't, nothing will yield good results.

this mockery thread seems like fishing for validation, like a little support group that needs others to reaffirm your beliefs because your concepts are based on feelings, and you discount results.... you know deep inside that's not a good way to think, but your emotions won't let you accept reality in this particular subject.... you were told by someone you trust that you need a magnum, and you use it even though it's not very fun to shoot, so you put a brake on it, and now you are subject to that same thing you were trying to avoid..... you think you opened up your shot angles with your big magnum, but now you gave up that fleeting opportunity as you don your ear protection:LOL:

about half of the elk i see killed with a rifle are shot by somewhat inexperienced people, and cartridges too small for many (6.5's, 270, 7mm-08, etc) the other half more experienced people shooting mostly 30 cal variations (one buddy likes his 6.5prc and kills elk with it beyond my capability) it's the same result.... a well shot elk doesn't leave sight, the only rodeos are from poor shooting, the rest are very straightforward.

i have only seen one elk shot that likely would have been different with a bigger rifle, but i think it was mainly a bullet construction thing.... first elk i saw shot, 308 at 150ish yds... knocked the elk down, we went over there and the elk was gone.... the consensus was shoulder with no penetration, but looking back, i think back strap based on the bull's reaction.... if that's the case, cartridge or bullet wouldn't have changed things.

i think the theme is "live and let live" or at least post up some proof of small cartridges failing.... we see plenty of the small cartridge crowds success (proof that it works well) but the folks saying they're too small, all we see is emotions and feelings..... we all hate when our country is run that way, but it seems ok for those same people to act that way on the internet.... arguing facts with feelings.... it's pretty elementary.

if you think small cartridges aren't responsible to use, why not just add something other than feelings as to why? if you can't, why even comment on it? facts and results should trump feelings, and i think we would all agree on that, yet.....
aww man, you're making me feel guilty for having a laugh!

Serious story time, I watched my uncle pop a doe right in the lungs with a .223 at 75 yards and a TTSX (My uncle has a reputation for hot loads, btw) and we never found her.

this thread already exists, with pages of impressive testimony, if you really are curious about a 22 cal on big animals, plenty of pictures.... there's even a moose with some big busted up bones. ;)

would it be my choice for big critters? no, but i don't hunt elk with a gun, but if all of this stuff was broke down, all of the small cartridge haters should be totally against archery hunting as well, because those little underpowered cartridges look to make a more disruptive wound channel than my arrows do, and reliably break bones that even a heavy arrow will not do reliably.

this mockery thread seems like fishing for validation, like a little support group that needs others to reaffirm your beliefs because your concepts are based on feelings, and you discount results.... you know deep inside that's not a good way to think, but your emotions won't let you accept reality in this particular subject.... you were told by someone you trust that you need a magnum, and you use it even though it's not very fun to shoot, so you put a brake on it, and now you are subject to that same thing you were trying to avoid..... you think you opened up your shot angles with your big magnum, but now you gave up that fleeting opportunity as you don your ear protection:LOL:

if you think small cartridges aren't responsible to use, why not just add something other than feelings as to why? if you can't, why even comment on it? facts and results should trump feelings, and i think we would all agree on that, yet.....
Wow there are so many things wrong with your statement that I probably shouldn't even respond to you, but I will anyway.
Obviously your feelings trump facts, small light bullets are a disaster waiting to happen with big game.

You used the example of arrows being enough for elk, well a 100 grain 3 blade razor attached to a 340 grain shaft is entirely different than a 75 grain .22 cal bullet.
I bow hunt and if shot placement isn't perfect you'll lose your bull, I've seen broad heads and 6mm bullets dug out of deer and elk shoulders, spines, and necks.

Anyone who'd shoot a moose or elk with any .224 bullet is a total moron that shouldn't be allowed to hunt big game
Period!

aww man, you're making me feel guilty for having a laugh!

Serious story time, I watched my uncle pop a doe right in the lungs with a .223 at 75 yards and a TTSX (My uncle has a reputation for hot loads, btw) and we never found her.
now we're getting somewhere, haha.... actual encounters are where the rubber meets the road to me..... still, one bad encounter vs a lot of good ones on this forum (i'm sure there are more than one) that happens with every weapon and every projectile some percentage of the time.

when i was setting up my AR to hunt lions, i was hoping i could get monos to shoot well, a little bullet needs to be tough right? they didn't, but i found a bullet that shot crazy good, and it was heavy for a 223, so i rolled with it. they performed well on a couple cats and one or 2 bucks....

as i was reading through the other 223 thread, that was maybe the most informative internet thread i have ever read, the guy posting up tons of impressive pics did mention that he thinks monos are responsible for small cartridges getting a bad name, they just don't kill fast.

i have never seen anything shot with a small mono, but i trust someone who's seen 100's of big game animals killed impressively with small cartridges.

Anyone who'd shoot a moose or elk with any .224 bullet is a total moron that shouldn't be allowed to hunt big game
Period!
even if they efficiently kill every single animal they shoot at? why?

this is an internet forum, so if there are "so many things wrong" in my reply, you should address them all, the more bad information sorted out the better, right? why not add some content to this thread? maybe help someone in the future

a 100gr broadhead on a 340 shaft is different than a 75gr 22cal bullet, i would bet a lot of money that 75gr bullet at 223 speeds will crush that arrow on big critter performance. a 100gr head on a 340 shaft will be in that 380gr-400gr avg, that's a light elk arrow.... i shot quite a few elk with a similar arrow back in the day.... they killed fine, but pass throughs didn't happen, and they would take off like they were on fire, certainly won't break the bone that 75gr bullet will, but when you compare the energy it's easy to see why.

now we're getting somewhere, haha.... actual encounters are where the rubber meets the road to me..... still, one bad encounter vs a lot of good ones on this forum (i'm sure there are more than one) that happens with every weapon and every projectile some percentage of the time.

when i was setting up my AR to hunt lions, i was hoping i could get monos to shoot well, a little bullet needs to be tough right? they didn't, but i found a bullet that shot crazy good, and it was heavy for a 223, so i rolled with it. they performed well on a couple cats and one or 2 bucks....

as i was reading through the other 223 thread, that was maybe the most informative internet thread i have ever read, the guy posting up tons of impressive pics did mention that he thinks monos are responsible for small cartridges getting a bad name, they just don't kill fast.

i have never seen anything shot with a small mono, but i trust someone who's seen 100's of big game animals killed impressively with small cartridges.
I have no problem with guys using a .223 for elk if they know exactly what they're doing, and why. I also have no problem limiting myself to mono's in heavier cartridges because I don't want to eat lead particles.

But I think this thread was meant to be a joke, more so than a counter argument to the .223 thread.

Wow there are so many things wrong with your statement that I probably shouldn't even respond to you, but I will anyway.
Obviously your feelings trump facts, small light bullets are a disaster waiting to happen with big game.

You used the example of arrows being enough for elk, well a 100 grain 3 blade razor attached to a 340 grain shaft is entirely different than a 75 grain .22 cal bullet.
I bow hunt and if shot placement isn't perfect you'll lose your bull, I've seen broad heads and 6mm bullets dug out of deer and elk shoulders, spines, and necks.

Period!
Did you happen to go read the .223 thread? It's pretty hard to argue with 100's of pictures and testimonials of animals dead on impact with the .223 and sierra tmk.

I have no problem with guys using a .223 for elk if they know exactly what they're doing, and why. I also have no problem limiting myself to mono's in heavier cartridges because I don't want to eat lead particles.

But I think this thread was meant to be a joke, more so than a counter argument to the .223 thread.
it's a mockery thread to the 243 thread, a new to be possible elk hunter asking about a 243.... again, lots of testimony of good results, with all of the big cartridge guys saying it's not enough..... with no actual reasoning or stories why they think that.

personally, i like monos too, they are easy on meat.... i also don't shoot the smallest cartridge i think i can get away with. up to deer, i shoot a 6.5, bear i use my 7mag, elk i use arrows (may go out of state this fall to rifle hunt elk with a buddy, i'll bring my 7mm, because it makes the best sense to me) i do think smaller cartridges are completely capable, and many folks are much better off with them.

if there is a reason smaller cartridges are inferior, i'm all ears, but when one side posts up a bunch of pics of very dead critters and positive testimonials, if you are going to call them idiots, at least bring something to the table..... besides your feelings.

it's a mockery thread to the 243 thread, a new to be possible elk hunter asking about a 243.... again, lots of testimony of good results, with all of the big cartridge guys saying it's not enough..... with no actual reasoning or stories why they think that.

personally, i like monos too, they are easy on meat.... i also don't shoot the smallest cartridge i think i can get away with. up to deer, i shoot a 6.5, bear i use my 7mag, elk i use arrows (may go out of state this fall to rifle hunt elk with a buddy, i'll bring my 7mm, because it makes the best sense to me) i do think smaller cartridges are completely capable, and many folks are much better off with them.

if there is a reason smaller cartridges are inferior, i'm all ears, but when one side posts up a bunch of pics of very dead critters and positive testimonials, if you are going to call them idiots, at least bring something to the table..... besides your feelings.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Sweet this ridiculousness is helping me dial in my ignore list