Is a .22 ok for elk?

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t plan to shoot 600 yards and I have the CCI rounds so I should be good right? I realize that I may have to pump 6-10 rounds into it, but since I have a Ruger 10-22, and I’ve practiced a lot, I think I can handle it. Would there be a caliber that is more effective!

Don’t even think about killing an elk with anything smaller than a .243. Really a .270 or bigger should be a must to be ethical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only if you use Mini Mags or Stingers, anything else'll just bounce off. Or step up to the Wizzum, 17wsm that is.

OP
K

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t even think about killing an elk with anything smaller than a .243. Really a .270 or bigger should be a must to be ethical

And that’s the point. I’m sick of threads that promise to injure animals because they don’t want to get a new gun, or they want their 10 year old to be able to shoot an elk with a (insert small caliber here).

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Its only ok to do if you can proclaim yourself as a better then everyone else shooter. Then 22 sure. Just tell us how good you think you are. Like the guy that was chatting my ear off the other day about how he can shoot golfballs at 600 yards............sure man.........good job.........thanks...........everytime you say, no shit......

Seriously. I just saw another one on here. I’ll all about magnums for getting things done!

mt100gr.

WKR
And that’s the point. I’m sick of threads that promise to injure animals because they don’t want to get a new gun, or they want their 10 year old to be able to shoot an elk with a (insert small caliber here).
So what is your elk "minimum" and why? (Emphasis on the why?) .....ready....break!

def90

WKR
Well placed head shot from <20yds would probably do it.. I would be surprised if there was a single state where that would be legal though.