Is the marketing of hunting destroying hunting?

BlueTick is right. The area I hunted this year in CO had a pipeline and road actively being constructed on NF during hunting season from the sale of a gas lease. When I talked to other hunters in the area they were complaining about hunting pressure while we are standing there listening to the backup beepers of bulldozers a half mile away. Let the flat-brims and ego-bros market whatever garbage they want, we need to stop those lease sales.

You nailed it NDGuy. The FB/Insta/podcast world has led more hunters to the Western hunting arena, that's for sure. But these new hunters are far from the biggest problems we face today. The Idaho House voted on 3 bills yesterday that would set the stage for wealthy individuals and private companies to begin a slow, tactful takeover of Idaho's public lands. One bill is seeking to limit the amount of public land to the acreage we now have, i.e., no net gains on public land. If an entity wants to sell or donate a section of private land back into public, then an equal amount of public must be privatized....in the same county! Another bill seeks to withdraw current "Wilderness Study" protections from land that is being vetted as future Wilderness. Our elected thieves are in the process of setting the stage for a large scale takeover of public land in one of the most popular Western hunting states. Suprisingly, I didn't see a word uttered about this on Rokslide. A quick look at BHA'S website came up empty, as did RMEF'S. Idaho Wildlife Federation seemed to be the only ones interested in this issue. So as we all go on lamenting that 4 NR'S found "our" spot on ONX, try to take one big step back to realize that our lawmakers want to take away everyone's "spot" and sell it to private entities. Where will we be then?
Let's pull our heads out, band together, and deal with the real issues. Not worry about the elk that some 'roided up podcast brand-whore killed on a private ranch to sell to us as #OtcDIYorganicgroceriessickforit.

This is the first I’ve hear of this. I know it’s hard to track every issue in every state built in surprised BHA hasn’t mentioned this, seems like it’s their bread and butter topic.

Terrible news. Do you have a link to the bills or chief sponsors? I’ll send emails today. I’m not a resident, but I enjoy what Idaho has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live here and hadn't heard about this. thanks for bringing it up.
Idaho Wildlife Federation has this issue all over their Facebook page right now, it needs to be front and center for anyone at all that cares one bit about public land. They have the roll call on who voted for and against it listed as well. I've sent lots of emails out over the last few days, and been extremely disappointed in my reps, one of which is a very close friend. I think our friendship has met it's end! I'm also disappointed in lots of our "conservation" orgs, most of which completely ignored these bills.

Idaho Wildlife Federation has this issue all over their Facebook page right now, it needs to be front and center for anyone at all that cares one bit about public land. They have the roll call on who voted for and against it listed as well. I've sent lots of emails out over the last few days, and been extremely disappointed in my reps, one of which is a very close friend. I think our friendship has met it's end! I'm also disappointed in lots of our "conservation" orgs, most of which completely ignored these bills.
I just went in and made sure I'm following the IWF FB page. Before I give them support at that link they provided, we would be AGAINST HJM8 if we want to protect public land, correct?

Correct. Against HJM5 and HJM8. There are several other bills being considered right now, one dealing with F&G searches, among others. This legislative session has the ingredients to prove disastrous unless sportsmen/women get on top of it quick.

I am all for wilderness areas (what I mostly hunt during big game seasons); however how long does it take to be "vetted"? For example there are 39 WSA's in Wyoming. Most (if not all) have been in the process of being "vetted" for decades. Either designate them wilderness or not. There should be a detailed timeline required to go from wsa to wilderness.
There is a designated process for creating wilderness, however a time line would be virtually impossible. Public input, lawsuits, and differences in ecosystems prohibit "timely" action. Truth is, our current administration in D.C. is frustrating Wilderness creation more than anything else. Idaho's legislators are using this to make sure these areas are "availible for purchase" if the rest of their scheme pans out. As Robby has made known, this action has been brought to light very quickly with no public input, and shoved through the House lightning fast. This is not a "Wilderness" issue, so don't get hung up on one detail in a many-pronged attack on America's greatest Legacy.

You nailed it NDGuy. The FB/Insta/podcast world has led more hunters to the Western hunting arena, that's for sure. But these new hunters are far from the biggest problems we face today. The Idaho House voted on 3 bills yesterday that would set the stage for wealthy individuals and private companies to begin a slow, tactful takeover of Idaho's public lands. One bill is seeking to limit the amount of public land to the acreage we now have, i.e., no net gains on public land. If an entity wants to sell or donate a section of private land back into public, then an equal amount of public must be privatized....in the same county! Another bill seeks to withdraw current "Wilderness Study" protections from land that is being vetted as future Wilderness. Our elected thieves are in the process of setting the stage for a large scale takeover of public land in one of the most popular Western hunting states. Suprisingly, I didn't see a word uttered about this on Rokslide. A quick look at BHA'S website came up empty, as did RMEF'S. Idaho Wildlife Federation seemed to be the only ones interested in this issue. So as we all go on lamenting that 4 NR'S found "our" spot on ONX, try to take one big step back to realize that our lawmakers want to take away everyone's "spot" and sell it to private entities. Where will we be then?
Let's pull our heads out, band together, and deal with the real issues. Not worry about the elk that some 'roided up podcast brand-whore killed on a private ranch to sell to us as #OtcDIYorganicgroceriessickforit.
@randy newberg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep,, marketing of hunting is destroying hunting.All this great value everyone is placing on North America’s game is attracting lots of wanna be Kings. The greed is out of control and until the “product “ is devalued by the masses the downward spiral will continue. If devaluation doesn’t occur, I see the peasants, aka “roksliders” forced into taking up knitting or gardening in a few decades. The bone worshipping at this time is absolutely ridiculous, you would think the horns held aphrodisiac qualities that made men’s pecker’s drag the ground immediately with all the foolish behavior exhibited to the public!

More people need to take up small game hunting, and many of the problems will go away. Even in Iowa, its really easy to get rights to go squirrel, rabbit, and even turkey hunting. It takes a lot of small game to equal a whitetail, but its super fun, a good way to get your hunting fix, and great practice.

Opportunity can be difficult for big game, but if you just want to hunt, you can go hunt.

More people need to take up small game hunting, and many of the problems will go away.

WTF dude? Me and my Brittany's are giving you the stink eye! I can accept insane pressure/crowds during pheasant season, but for God's sake keep the other upland species out of this........

And when it comes to Teddy? I suspect wool and flank shots were the custom (along with unadulterated trophy slaughtering....you know idol material)

More people need to take up small game hunting, and many of the problems will go away. Even in Iowa, its really easy to get rights to go squirrel, rabbit, and even turkey hunting. It takes a lot of small game to equal a whitetail, but its super fun, a good way to get your hunting fix, and great practice.

Opportunity can be difficult for big game, but if you just want to hunt, you can go hunt.

Maybe someone should come up with a rabbit and squirrel scoring system so people could brag about some number on the gram... that might help make small game cool! ;-)

Not in the south, deer leasers even sub lease the turkeys and they don’t want anyone on the properties if they are paying, might disturb their hit list

I just went in and made sure I'm following the IWF FB page. Before I give them support at that link they provided, we would be AGAINST HJM8 if we want to protect public land, correct?

In response to these bills and our rokslide community.

This ladies and gentlemen will be our demise. I reside in Nebraska a state with 2-3% public lands. It's bad! I do hunt here, and even hunt public land, but I also venture west every year to walk the great expanses of public land.

When I go west I try spend at least 2-3 hours talking with non hunting outdoors people. Campers, hikers, the dreaded trail riding side by side drivers, bird watchers, whoever I find that I can talk to about the outdoors.

There are many reasons for this but I'll highlight 3.

1. Show them a normal hunter. I want those people to see me as someone sharing the world. A good guy enjoying what they enjoy. I want them to know I'm ethical, and that I don't want to ruin their experience of the out doors. I want them to walk away from an encounter with a hunter thinking "wow that was a nice guy"

2. Shared agenda.
I want to talk to them about past legislation, future bills, and organizations that watch out for the wild places that we both love! I want them to know I want to keep lands free not only so I can hunt, but also so they can bird watch, or drink beer by their camper while watching the world go by! I want them to know I care and that they should to!

3. To share info!!!

I always always end a conversation asking if they would like me to share info about state, local, or national bills that could infringe on their rights so that they can act. I've been turned down one time out of 14 people in 3 years. Is it a ton of impact maybe not, but I'm weaving together outdoors people beyond hunters to take the fight to those looking to do away with public lands.

I just emailed 13 people that I barely know asking them to share with their friends, and family what Idaho is doing. Maybe they won't care, but people that buy sworos to watch birds tend to have both time and money, and they don't like their fun messed with!

The hunting community as a whole needs to get over our isolationism, give other people a seat at the table, and work together to save our lands. If you are suprised at hunters not knowing about these bills, think about Campers/hikers you think they know? But they do care!

Rant over.

Another public land bill in Idaho, SB1089, has been postponed for hearing until Monday, March 4th. This bill will allow private citizens or organizations to sue landowners that illegally block access to public land. The Idaho Senate has postponed hearing this several times, and now it's scheduled to be heard on the last day. Most people I've spoken to about the particulars of this bill agree that it is a good path forward for accountability, and Idaho's Attorney General has stated that legally and Constitutionally the law is sound, as written. Please take a moment to email your Idaho Senator to let them know your feelings on this issue.

Quality vs quantity. Unfortunately we all need the quantity if we want any chance of keeping what we already have. The ID bills are very concerning. Hopefully folks will keep a level head and they won't go through. Every day in this nation, the rich and powerful look for ways to become more rich and more powerful. There are folks who have a "B&C" scoring system of their own, and play in millions instead of inches. That's who we need to be concerned about - not someone who is actually out there hunting or fishing or using OUR outdoors.

Hunting is just 5% about hunting. If you're a hunter, that means you keep alive the nature, you help animals to be enough, and shoot out animals who are too many in a certain area. "Hobby-hunters" only looking for just hunting. So a real hunter know it's just the 5% of the complete process. I support those people who want to be a hunter and save and care the nature, but I don't like the hobby-hunters, who just go out to hunting and killing. That's lame. Unless the media is promoting to keep up the equality of the nature instead of killing, it's fine.

If you're a hunter, that means you keep alive the nature, you help animals to be enough, and shoot out animals who are too many in a certain area.

I agree except that there are very, very few instances where there are actually "too many" animals, and fewer still where public hunting is the best answer to that issue. I know that goes against the narrative that's been sold for 75 years in this country, but if we're being honest, it's the truth.

A more solid argument is the money that hunters and anglers generate for the benefit of not only wildlife, but other outdoor users.

Back