Is the marketing of hunting destroying hunting?

Bobbyboe

WKR
Dude, I live 90 minutes from Austin. I'm plenty familiar with herds of deer on the golf course, in peoples yards, leaving droppings all over the HS football field, etc. The opinion that there are "too many" deer in a situation like that is just that - an opinion. There are places like Lago Vista TX that don't allow hunting in the city limits and the deer walk the streets and just about everyone is either okay with it, or loves it. Crazy I know, but that's the case. They know better than to plant flowers or plants in their yard that the deer are going to eat without protecting them in some way. Hunters in the U.S. have been conditioned to think that a scenario like that is a "problem." It's not always a problem. In other areas of the country, it becomes a problem because of disease or starvation and in those cases yes, it is an actual problem for the population. But those cases are the exception and not the rule. If you want to keep bringing up exceptions, I'll let you argue with yourself.

This is a difference of opinion friend. Nobody is "wrong" 'kay ;)

Here is a brows line. If you have this, you have too many deer. It's fact, not opinion. Most places in WI are like this. When deer density gets high enough for a brows line like this, starvation and disease can/will happen during harsh winters. On top of that it eliminates food and cover for many species, not just deer. Again, it's a fact.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-28-11-40-04.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-28-11-40-04.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
Here is a brows line. If you have this, you have too many deer. It's fact, not opinion. Most places in WI are like this. When deer density gets high enough for a brows line like this, starvation and disease can/will happen during harsh winters. On top of that it eliminates food and cover for many species, not just deer. Again, it's a fact.
Reading comprehension...

Not sure who you are arguing with since I don't recall saying browse lines aren't a fact. Your argument is what's called a non-sequitur.

And now we're completely off topic... LOL

I would say it is just making a bigger impact than we have ever seen before. Information is so readily available these days. You used to have to wait for the new issue of Outdoor Life or Field and Stream to get info on different states, now you can just get on youtube or instagram and you are set. .

An old timer who used to hunt the Clearwater back in the glory days told me a interesting story. It used to be pretty popular for the locals but wasn't over crowded, then an Outdoor Life article came out regarding the area and the next season it was a zoo.

Browse lines like that are completely normal in natural habitats at the northern edge of whitetail deer range. I think newtosavage’s point was that a browse line like that in someone’s shrubbery is an indication of an overpopulation of people, not deer. I think you will find, as he suggested, that there are very few true cases of excess game, Mother Nature does a fine job looking after that. When we need to step in and kill “excess” game it is usually because of human conflicts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been following this thread with interest. It seems to me that a common theme
throughout is that marketing/commercialization/technology is negatively impacting QUALITY of the experience for many in different ways. I have for some time theorized that many of the declines in hunter numbers across the country are linked to a declines in quality of experience - waterfowl hunting being a great case in point - and less about quantity of opportunity.

Last edited:
Phuqq yes.....just like scoring animals and record books have too.
On that point...

I guess I was either ignorant of it, or it just wasn't prevalent when I was a kid learning about hunting, but I didn't grow up in a time when people talked about "inches of bone" or whatever. I can never recall Fred Bear talking about what an animal would score - only the experience. So that's always been my idea of what hunting is about.

AT Hiker

FNG
Marketing has most definitely introduced a new breed of hunter into the realm of Turkey hunting, in addition the overflow of the Duck Commander lackeys have entered the turkey domain as well.

Come East and you will see; full strut decoys spread out like a Spring snow geese hunt, fanning and reaping replacing the slate call and tagging out a ritual of manhood.

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
The commercial aspect has played a huge role, i.e. draw odds/tag consulting, public land map apps, youtube stars. But it's also a shift in culture. Guys are getting shamed incessantly for saving their hard earned money to go on a quality hunt with an outfitter, but the public land hunter is promoted as a real life action hero. I enjoy both, and realize that not everyone can or wants to, but if you don't fit the OTC DIY narrative you are demonized? I don't get it. But one thing is for sure there are a ton of western companies benefiting from that shift in culture. And we all keep feeding the machine.

Gobbler36

WKR
Sorry in advance as I 'm sure this will kick over a hornets nest. But Its something I have been thinking of lately as I see more and more channels and podcasts trying to build a brand by promoting Everyone should go hunt the west. In full candor I am a NR who got sick of the tag game and is moving to Wy this summer to avoid it. Also I do believe everyone has the right to go hunt anywhere it is legal. My issue is everyone trying to build a career promoting it. Since I have hunted the west it seems like every trailhead has exploded compared to ten years ago. All my relatives in western states have a hard time drawing tags every 5 years that used to be guaranteed draws. Maybe I am just a selfish Sob but I love hunting for the solitude on the mountian not the commercial instagrahm bs it is becoming. What do you guys think.
in a short answer you are spot on
it sucks to see every billy bob coming from everywhere else to come hunt elk cause Randy Newberg puts out a new elk series or meateater puts out where to otc elk. it destroys quality hunting imo. its even worse when the instagramers act like its to save the future of hunting but really its for more views and followers

Gobbler36

WKR
So I'll ask this: do you only dislike the IG/youtube types just because its brought more hunters out west? If that's your only reason, then yes, you are being selfish. Its their land too. They have an equal right to be there.
But if you don't like the bro/huntress, IG/YouTube, wanna-be famous types because of the way they represent hunting, and the way they are constantly trying to ram crappy products down your throat or sell you a crappy tshirt or hat that has their name on it, that's another story.
More hunters out west isn't going to ruin anything. The states will manage hunter #s appropriately. And yes opportunities will suffer if #s become too great.
I feel hunting becoming an activity only for the super wealthy is what will ruin it. Its trending that direction and commercialization plays a part. Hopefully its just a cycle that needs to play itself out.
its their land but the states and its peaoples resources.
they are welcome to come camp all they please

its their land but the states and its peaoples resources.
they are welcome to come camp all they please

I stated that individual states will manage hunter #s accordingly. Not sure what you are getting at, but it sounds like you are a resident POed about NRs....

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Okay. I have no problem with you disagreeing. If there is a true need for population reduction and there is a more efficient method, I'm sure the folks in the population reduction business are all ears. A friend of mine often takes 20+ deer off a golf course in one evening each year. I have other friends who cull does on S. Texas ranches and might shoot 100 in a weekend. That's pretty efficient.

There is a difference in efficient and effective. Hunting is effective at managing the population.