Jan AZ hunt...What to do about water?

zerohour714

Banned
Hey guys,

Heading to AZ in Jan to chase some mulies and will most likely be camping. I know it can get quite cold during that time of year. Any suggestions on how to handle water? Doesn't look like there is many natural water sources around where we are going and am concerned that the water we bring will freeze.

I have never hunted AZ in Jan and am wondering if my concerns are warranted.

Any suggestions? What have you done in the past?

It's cattle country in most places so there is more water than you think, but not that I'd really want to drink, even after filtering. Don't worry about the water you bring in freezing. Yes, it could at night, but it usually warms up nicely during the day. I've hunted the AZ desert for years and this has never been an issue.

Along for this, I have also wondered the same thing very. If you backpack his do you guys carry enough water for a 3-5 day hunt?

If there aren't going to be any water sources in the desert where I'm hunting then yes, I do carry in 3-4 days of water. It sucks.

Water is there, just not as easy to find. Sometimes creeks will run underground for miles and then pop out for a 100' and disappear again. Try looking on Google earth for green areas and hope there is water there when you get in. Have a backup plan just in case.

Depending on what unit, and what part of the unit you are hunting, there will be water reasonably close in the winter. By utilizing google earth, it is fairly easy to plan a hunt.

It depends on where you are hunting in AZ. If you are in the more northern sections (Call it north of the Mogollon rim) you will have some water freeze at night but it will be warm enough in the day to thaw out. Even some of the lower desert area will get to freezing or below but it will be warm enough in the day you won't have any problems. If you do not want your water to freeze you can keep your immediate term water that you will be needing that morning/day in an empty cooler that is shut and it won't freeze.

Back