Jeep Snow Tracks

treillw

WKR
Getting snow tracks for my JL is becoming more and more intriguing.

Any experience doing it? Brands? How do they work? How deep of snow can you go in? Cost? How much ground clearance can you get with them (comparable to what tire size)?

Thanks!

Wrench

WKR
My buddy in Haugen Montana should be getting his any second. He's in the heart of serious snow country and should have solid feedback. I will pass it on when he makes tracks.

Wrench

WKR
My buddy JUST sent me pics and vid of his setup. He's running American tracks truck dominator xl with upgraded bogies. He sent a pic in the pow up lookout pass and it looks killer.

Some thoughts on tracks, though my experience with them is with SxS and not trucks:
1. They don't like rocks, dirt, or anything else besides snow. Can handle a little, but too much is asking for damage.
2. Tracks work best on flat ground. The less off camber the better. Great for accessing cabins etc on roads.
3. They're going to be a bit odd in terms of suspension and steering.
4. Tracks have their own sets of issues. Flipping over, broken wheels, incorrect tension causing odd tracking... When they work they're hard to top, but it would be helpful to be able to work on and maintain them yourself. Including field repairs.

If you want to do serious snow wheeling, 42s and good beadlocks are the proven way to go. For accessing a cabin or something simple like that, tracks probably require less skill and experience to use successfully.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Do those tracks have problems with freezing up? Like will the components get warm enough to melt the snow, then refreeze if parked? Lock the tracks up.
Mine haven't. Mike parks his in the shop....mine is outside the whole last month.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Some thoughts on tracks, though my experience with them is with SxS and not trucks:
1. They don't like rocks, dirt, or anything else besides snow. Can handle a little, but too much is asking for damage.
2. Tracks work best on flat ground. The less off camber the better. Great for accessing cabins etc on roads.
3. They're going to be a bit odd in terms of suspension and steering.
4. Tracks have their own sets of issues. Flipping over, broken wheels, incorrect tension causing odd tracking... When they work they're hard to top, but it would be helpful to be able to work on and maintain them yourself. Including field repairs.

If you want to do serious snow wheeling, 42s and good beadlocks are the proven way to go. For accessing a cabin or something simple like that, tracks probably require less skill and experience to use successfully.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I've got 37s now. Just put a lift on. 42s might kiss the inner fenders a bit! Although the 37s fit for 4000 miles with stock suspension. They would rub a hair in the back on occasion when articulated. Haven't done anything super crazy with them though.

Wrench

WKR
I have kimpex wtx wides on my atv, been on it for 5 years now and my total repairs is exactly one idler adjustment bolt. I plow with mine and just a couple days ago pulled an elk 7 miles out of the woods in plenty of snow. 3 of the 7 were roads covered with snow, the rest was field and forest.

I don't hot rod mine but treat it as a tool....and a useful tool it is.

This guy has lots of video’s with tracks on his grand Cherokee. In some of them he talks about making adjustments, ect..,

49ereric

WKR
How much snow? Steep hills? How cold?
I’ve had 38-12.50-15 swampers (6 ply) on 8” rims no beads locks for 25+ years and air down every winter but it is a firewood truck not a daily driver. No hills here though. I use the truck to pack snow every year in the little field on each side of the driveway so I can’t get drifted in.
Lockers front and rear. Just low rpm travel and might have to go back and forth some but with the lockers it always backs up.
Bigger-wider set of swampers are 8 ply but won’t air down in the cold cuz to stiff.
Never lost a bead once. Back tires in the pick @3 psi and front 6 psi. I have lowered all 4 for off road play but slow going and no spinning and she’ll float.
56A3ECF8-9FC5-45A9-9FA4-E9637F45EF0C.jpeg

What 37s do you have, and what wheel size and load range tire?

I dont have personal experience with tracks, but from talking to guys and from the videos I have watched with guys using them, I have never been super impressed. In certain conditions I am sure they have advantages over a big aired down tire, much like different setups and different tires can shine in certain snow conditions.

Have you aired the 37s down yet?

And you dont need bigger tires or beadlocks. The right 35s at 3-5 psi would get that jeep around pretty good.

And you dont need bigger tires or beadlocks. The right 35s at 3-5 psi would get that jeep around pretty good.
Depends on the snow.
My Toyota is heavy but its double locked w 35s.
And it doesn't even stand a chance of going where I want to go in the spring for elk sheds.

Thats why I've looked into tracks.
Pickup tracks are expensive AF

And like I said all my buddies have tons of problems. But they do rally.

The main reason I don't get a cheap snowmobile is no body ever goes with me and I'm to worried of a break down.

Wrench

WKR
I can tell you that the red jeep above is built. The owner has a stable of toys and uses them to capacity. I have wheeled my locked cj on 15.5 wide swampers and in 5 feet of pow it's not happening. Tracks just don't care how deep it is.

Depends on the snow.
My Toyota is heavy but its double locked w 35s.
And it doesn't even stand a chance of going where I want to go in the spring for elk sheds.

Thats why I've looked into tracks.
Pickup tracks are expensive AF

And like I said all my buddies have tons of problems. But they do rally.

The main reason I don't get a cheap snowmobile is no body ever goes with me and I'm to worried of a break down.
What do you run for air pressure?

I can tell you that the red jeep above is built. The owner has a stable of toys and uses them to capacity. I have wheeled my locked cj on 15.5 wide swampers and in 5 feet of pow it's not happening. Tracks just don't care how deep it is.
Depends on the powder for sure, and I do think tracks can do better in bottomless/baseless powder.