June vacation ideas

Finch

WKR
So I've got 2 good weeks off the 2nd half of June. At first I was thinking of going to Arizona but realized it's probably pretty hot in June. So we'll probably save that trip for next spring.

Last year, we drove cross country from VA to CO with the popup and both kids for a elk hunting/ camping trip. Had an awesome time but not looking to drive this time around and was hoping to fly. I'm trying to think of some good vacation ideas. Kids are 8 and 4 and we are a fairly active family but also don't mind the real touristy laidback stuff either.

Yellowstone is out of the question for now because I want my son to be older for that trip and lodging has probably been booked for a while now anyway.

Looking to head west again for a different adventure. We went to the Badlands/Custer State Park/Devil's Tower a couple years back so don't mention that.

Any ideas?

jte5013

FNG
Glacier NP is one of my favorites. Or Olympic NP has a lot of good and varied places for kids to poke and explore

Edit: I'm not sure about weather at the end of June. Going to the sun road in glacier might still be all snow covered then

Last edited:

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
As others have mentioned, GNP is really truly spectacular. However, in my opinion, in addition to the awesome scenery you can see from driving, the best way to experience GNP requires a good amount of hiking ...... not necessarily super long extensive backpacking in type of hikes but some decently long day hiking at a minimum. With kids as young as yours this is going to be a rate limiting factor and could put a damper on your ability to experience it. It depends on how much time you want to spend outside off the vehicle versus sightseeing from driving around.

GNP>Yellowstone but you might want to make sure your kids are old enough to do some longer hikes for glacier.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Thanks guys. I'll look at both these options. Any other ideas?

Glacier is solid but you can book up a nice pad on the lake in Polson and get more out of it. Or go the other way and hit Buxton NC for the low hanging fruit. Delmarva also hoot (Chincoteague), the Gulf Coast, or southern Appalachia. Send a PM I’d you’d like, I’ve lived or worked in most states. With folks on here, I’m sure you could scratch out a fishing or shooting trip!

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
if flying is a possibility, there are still pretty suppressed ticket prices

We bought plane tickets from Chattanooga Tn to Anchorage a couple months ago for $430ish per ticket round trip. We’re spending a couple weeks in late July car camping in the Kenai and Denali NP areas. My kids are 7,9, and 10. Had planned to wait until they were a bit older, but couldn’t pass up the trip for tickets that cheap. A paid in advance rental SUV was also inexpensive in ANC when we made reservations

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Glacier is solid but you can book up a nice pad on the lake in Polson and get more out of it. Or go the other way and hit Buxton NC for the low hanging fruit. Delmarva also hoot (Chincoteague), the Gulf Coast, or southern Appalachia. Send a PM I’d you’d like, I’ve lived or worked in most states. With folks on here, I’m sure you could scratch out a fishing or shooting trip!
Funny you mentioned Buxton. We go there every year and will be there in May. Appreciate the info!

20190803_142035.jpg

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR

We bought plane tickets from Chattanooga Tn to Anchorage a couple months ago for $430ish per ticket round trip. We’re spending a couple weeks in late July car camping in the Kenai and Denali NP areas. My kids are 7,9, and 10. Had planned to wait until they were a bit older, but couldn’t pass up the trip for tickets that cheap. A paid in advance rental SUV was also inexpensive in ANC when we made reservations

Since you are flying, are you buying most of your camping gear once you get there? What is the extent of your car camping since you'll be flying? Kinda like the idea.

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
I used an airline credit card so we all get one free check bag and also our carry on. There is also some leverage you get with a new card, usually a $200-250 rebate with your first purchase on card. Open up one for you and wife and double the leverage. Then pay it all off immediately. I’m not into CC debt, but there can be some decent perks. So, $400-500 off the total and plenty of luggage included

we’ve done a couple of 2 week car camping trips to western parks with about 4 duffels of gear. Usually fly with a 45 qt Yeti also with our preferred cooking gear inside. Clothes are in carry on. Plenty of gear, sometimes it feels like too much!

Here is a rough itinerary for your original plan that somewhat mitigates the heat:

Southern UT and Northern AZ with a primary focus on water based and higher elevation, forest based activities.
1) Zion (Narrows)
2) Bryce
3) North Rim GC
4) Lake Powell
5) Flagstaff
6) Sedona

Endless options to fill out that itinerary depending on how off the beaten path you are wanting to go. The further the better IMO, but the crowded places are crowded for a reason... just mind numbingly incredible / awe inspiring.

Here is a rough itinerary for your original plan that somewhat mitigates the heat:

Southern UT and Northern AZ with a primary focus on water based and higher elevation, forest based activities.
1) Zion (Narrows)
2) Bryce
3) North Rim GC
4) Lake Powell
5) Flagstaff
6) Sedona

Endless options to fill out that itinerary depending on how off the beaten path you are wanting to go. The further the better IMO, but the crowded places are crowded for a reason... just mind numbingly incredible / awe inspiring.
Would love to do this itinerary some day

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
So I've got 2 good weeks off the 2nd half of June. At first I was thinking of going to Arizona but realized it's probably pretty hot in June. So we'll probably save that trip for next spring.

Last year, we drove cross country from VA to CO with the popup and both kids for a elk hunting/ camping trip. Had an awesome time but not looking to drive this time around and was hoping to fly. I'm trying to think of some good vacation ideas. Kids are 8 and 4 and we are a fairly active family but also don't mind the real touristy laidback stuff either.

Yellowstone is out of the question for now because I want my son to be older for that trip and lodging has probably been booked for a while now anyway.

Looking to head west again for a different adventure. We went to the Badlands/Custer State Park/Devil's Tower a couple years back so don't mention that.

Any ideas?
The UP of Michigan is an amazing place in the summer. State Parks, great lakes, and historic.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
He said out west....I guess you could go out of the country and visit California.

Yeah, there is tons more of exploring to do "out west" before I care to do anything exotic.

Fordguy

WKR
Several guys have mentioned Glacier, and Glacier is awesome, however the crowds are not. If you want to get off the beaten path a bit think about the Porcupine mts,/lake of the clouds in Michigan's upper peninsula along with Kitch-iti-kippi spring, Isle Royal, 2 great lakes beaches, plenty more upper peninsula things to do besides these. You might see moose and or black bears while you're there too. I see that someone mentioned it a few posts back, I'll second it. There's a lot to see and do.
Forgot to mention, The U.P. is a bargain. Your dollar stretches a looooong way in da superior state...

Last edited:

Jbxl20

WKR

1) Zion (Narrows)
2) Bryce
3) North Rim GC
4) Lake Powell
5) Flagstaff
6) Sedona

From PA but I was just in AZ last month. Had an awesome time in flagstaff and Sedona. Great restaurants. We rented atvs and had a blast. We did a lot of hiking in different areas including a 10 mile trek In The Grand Canyon south rim. Would definitely recommend. Not sure about the weather in June tho