Kifaru deer day pack

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite pack for what the op described is the 14'r. It moves well with me for spot and stalk, is narrow profile, has center zip, zippered lid, top loading, spotter pocket and belt pocket options. I don't care for packing meat in it, but it would handle enough weight for deer hunting if need be. My choice for a pack on the duplex frame by his described needs would be a rambler on all counts, but it would not be as convenient in a tree stand due to being a top loader.

I can’t believe the woodsman isn’t mentioned more. It’s my absolute favorite go-to whitetail pack now. I can add the guide lid, grab it and some pockets and I can get multi day use no problem. Two tripods, puffy, 2 small video cameras, rain gear, kill kit/game bags and thermos of coffee is my normal carry. Strapped the Lone wolf climber to the back with no issues.

1d17604cbea3311f29544402fe4558ef.jpg
6598d92f80eee0143d182af137eb5da9.jpg
ad42e5e8e1a5ec72e6b3d1b14c09e52d.jpg
bf5f04a736781646109fad5000a1ebb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the mountain warrior filling the role for day pack. Access is easy from top or zipper side. Front pocket &/or guide lid handles most day gear. I also run a cargo panel with guide lid & old fleece style bag on cargo panel when I really need to be stealthy for whitetail. The mountain warrior will handle a whitetail bone in & all my gear for one trip out of woods.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
I don't even have a kifaru pack yet, so my 2 cents is more like one...LOL. But with that said, I have researched them a good amount. For what you are describing, I would think the woodsman might be the way to go IF the access is good with the top/bottom zipper. Even the woodsman may be a bit bigger than you are looking for though. I haven't had my hands on one to look yetFor me, the top loading packs without a full zipper are just not an option for me. I want better access to what may be towards the bottom of a pack without having to pull everything out. . For me..its still trying to figure out reckoning or fulcrum. By the time I come to a decision and have the cash, they will probably have something else I will need to consider....LOL. good luck and merry Christmas!

I hunt a bit like you only back east. White tail. Mainly on the ground. Some stand and blind stuff.

I started with a 25l day Pack. Not big enough for winter clothes. Could not haul meat or a climber stand.

I went to an MR crew cab. Good but a little complex to use without a main bag.

I bought a woodsman and a 22inch frame for this season. It is great. Early season I hauled kill kits and snacks. I later added some ground blind materials and a folding stool. Toward the end have extra clothes or a woobie. Plenty of room but still compact. Has meat hauling capability although my kills this year have been close enough to drag. I could use it for a weekend or overnight easy. The center zip works fine for accessing stuff at the bottom.

My only issues with the pack are it is fairly basic (by design, like most Kifaru packs) so I added a few pockets to organize things including rigging an internal water bladder pocket ( I didn’t like running it behind the frame) out of a spotting scope pouch. I had to cut a port to run the tube through the back of the lid. More of an issue of preference but just noting that the woodsman required some tweaking to get it where I wanted it. If you compared it to something like an MR pintler, it is lacking some bels and whistles but it is US made and built stout as hell.

My last comment is about the frame. I don’t know if I have set it up well or what but the 22 inch frame carries a lot less well than my 26 inch with a reckoning with the same, modest weight. I would expect some difference given the shorter length and lack of lift but it is more than I would have anticipated. I shouldn’t be an issue if you are running it on a 26 inch frame, although you will have a gap below the Pack on the frame at the bottom.

I'm using a 24'' Bikini frame with a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 bag. Love the bag, but not a huge fan of the really wide waist belt on the frame.

gumbl3

WKR
For the longest time I used a Badlands 2200 for everything including whitetail. I like that I had I a spot for everything and I could find it in a pinch. This year I used an Apollo, cause you just can't beat the comfort of the Kifaru frame. I found I ended up using a lot of the larger pockets on the waist best, I ditched the nalgene holder for more pockets so I could keep my food, gloves, headlamp all handy. I keep female buckles on my frame so I can snap a grab it on and off if I have an extra bulky layer I'm going to put on when I get to a spot I'm going to setup, or even a heater body suit if I'm planning on a long sit. Kill kit just rides in the inside pocket. I used the arrow sleeve to keep a call and rattle bag, they were always easy to grab being right on top. The tapered shape worked better than I thought, I crammed rain gear in the bottom and the stuff I would need would always be easily accessible by the center zip.

wesfromky

WKR
I have been hunting whitetails out of a woodsman on a 24" frame this year. Love it! Cinches down really well, but opens enough to carry heavy First Lite jackets and other layers. Can strap my climbing sticks and platform to it pretty easy. Access with the two way zipper and a few pockets has been really nice. Haven't hauled any meat, but with the shelf, getting a whole whitetail out in one go seems totally doable.

If I wasn't worried about hauling stuff, then I would probably just use my antero, or get something like an HPG butt pack, or a tailgunner.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you guys think of a reckoning as mainly a day pack? Not to hijack but kind of the same situation as the op looking for a mainly day back but may down the road get into more back country hunting

It’s awesome for day hunting. I have some Reckoning vids on the Rokslide YouTube. The center zip is money for quickly taking things in and out of the bag. It collapses very nicely.

It’s awesome for day hunting. I have some Reckoning vids on the Rokslide YouTube. The center zip is money for quickly taking things in and out of the bag. It collapses very nicely.

I watched some of your videos they are
The main reason I’m pretty sure that’s the pack I’m gonna end up with

Kotaman

WKR
For this purpose, I actually prefer the Tarryall to the 14'er. For me the Tarryall is just a little more versatile and makes for a perfect air travel pack.

TheCougar

WKR
I know you said you want to stick with Kifaru, but I’m going to answer your question by violating that. I run an Exo 2000 on my Duplex frame. I freaking love it. Perfect size of bag, lightweight, durable, and Exo is a great company. It goes onto a duplex frame with no modification to the frame and about $15 worth of Kifaru buckles and 10 min worth of time.

I will add that the new Fulcrum is a pack designed to meet needs on the small end (1800 ci) and the high end- 7000+.
With the main bag compressed and utilizing just the bat wings, there is an 1800 ci pack with easily accessible pockets that are 900 ci each. Throw a guide lid on it and there is another 1200 ci accessible with ease. The way the compression straps on this pack are designed, you cinch down the main bag to literally as flat as the frame sheet and then the 2 vertical 900 ci pockets are there to load. It really is like wearing the frame with nothing protruding out.

Then you can open it up and put the deer whole in the bag.
lol

Dobermann

WKR
I forgot to say before that Aron recently mentioned on a podcast that they're working on a pack specifically for treestand hunting, that's meant to make carrying stands a lot easier ... will be interesting to see what they came up with!

OP
huntaholic123
The 22Mag seems like a pack that would fit my needs. Will hold out a few weeks to see exactly what the new pack is mentioned earlier. Appreciate all of the feedback.

I really like the look and "freedom of movement"omni suspension idea of the 14'r and Tarryall BUT they need a meat shelf if you kill something. Definitely not large enough to securely carry any meat . With no meat hauling capability I may as well just use my daughters Princess Poppy school bag. I owned MR Dragonslayer years ago as a day pack. good quality pack BUT it isnt designed to haul any meat. Trying to haul a blacktail out of the mountains with that was not ideal . Way easier to just shoulder carry the gutted carcass the mile and a half. The 14'r and Tarryall remind me of this as they are most likely great daypacks being duarble, long lasting and able to carry some daily basics but just not designed to be modern day multi use hunting packs that carry meat.. I have used many Kifaru packs and they have all been top quality (Currently loving the Fulcrum) . It would be easy for Kifaru to design one of these packs with an easy to use meat shelf function such as on the MR pintler. I originally thought the 14'r was built like this but I was obviously incorrect and seeing the 14r and Tarryall without this function is a disappointment to me . I am not necessarily a meat shelf lover but for a daypack specific system it is hard to beat. BTW. My kid does like the fit and function of the Princess Poppy pack if you guys were wondering.

Last edited: