Kifaru Ma Duece review/thoughts?

I have a 44mag and love it for anything from day hunts to 3 nights. Thinking hard about a Ma Duece for my 5-9 day hunts. Anyone have one? I love the layout of the 44 mag, it's perfect for me, so no concerns there with the big one. Mostly wondering how it compresses into day mode, and also trying to gauge just How big it really is compared to the 44?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

zacattack

WKR
Just ordered one the other day, so i can review and post some pictures after 4 to 5 long torturous weeks of pure misery waiting on it to arrive

OP
Jake Larsen
Your 44 mag can do 5-9 day hunts.
Not the places and they way I hunt. Between gear and meat for a packout, I need the volume. Ive been using a crater and have had it loaded to the hilt on multiple occasions on the way out on backpack hunts.

Also, I'm not trying to start an argument on here, but seriously why would you make a comment like this? I know what I need in a pack. I spend 40-60 days a year in the field hunting. I realize people have different hunting styles that require the different pack volumes.

Outlaw99

WKR
Jake, I just received my Ma last week. I had the same questions you did. You hit the nail on the head when you said folks have different styles that require diff pack volumes. Some folks like a different pack for each and every situation they may encounter. Others want to be as light and lean at all costs. Myself, I can only afford one pack at a time. I’m also a buy once, cry once kind of fella. I wanted a pack that would strap down minimally for light day trips, but also handle longer trips with full pack outs. I wanted the versatility to organize my essential gear in my pack, and having the option of throwing 2 elk quarters in it and not having to remove every item out of my pack and lash it to the outside. Without having the chance to test it yet; by appearance alone, it looks to be the perfect pack for ME. The compression straps suck it in nice and flat and tight. I have a Sherman on the back that further brings things in while adding another versatile element of organization and storage. When opened up, the deuce gets real big to handle most anything I can foresee throwing at it. I ran an Exo 5500 for a couple years before this, and I can say I much prefer the layout and organization of the ma deuce so far. I know I’m giving up some weight savings with this setup, but the comfort, versatility, and organization of this pack far outweigh any of its minor cons. I get a kick out of all these pack discussions. It’s almost like politics, or religion; everyone thinks if you aren’t running the same setup as them, you must be wrong. Packs are like women, they come in all shapes and sizes, and you gotta pick the one that rubs you the right way.

OP
Jake Larsen
Jake, I just received my Ma last week. I had the same questions you did. You hit the nail on the head when you said folks have different styles that require diff pack volumes. Some folks like a different pack for each and every situation they may encounter. Others want to be as light and lean at all costs. Myself, I can only afford one pack at a time. I’m also a buy once, cry once kind of fella. I wanted a pack that would strap down minimally for light day trips, but also handle longer trips with full pack outs. I wanted the versatility to organize my essential gear in my pack, and having the option of throwing 2 elk quarters in it and not having to remove every item out of my pack and lash it to the outside. Without having the chance to test it yet; by appearance alone, it looks to be the perfect pack for ME. The compression straps suck it in nice and flat and tight. I have a Sherman on the back that further brings things in while adding another versatile element of organization and storage. When opened up, the deuce gets real big to handle most anything I can foresee throwing at it. I ran an Exo 5500 for a couple years before this, and I can say I much prefer the layout and organization of the ma deuce so far. I know I’m giving up some weight savings with this setup, but the comfort, versatility, and organization of this pack far outweigh any of its minor cons. I get a kick out of all these pack discussions. It’s almost like politics, or religion; everyone thinks if you aren’t running the same setup as them, you must be wrong. Packs are like women, they come in all shapes and sizes, and you gotta pick the one that rubs you the right way.
Thanks! Answered all my questions

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered one today. I have a 44 and sherman for 5ish day trips and can push it to 5-10 by storing additional food bag on the meat shelf. Those are mostly 3 season solo trips before real cold sets in. Loaded out for cold weather it is 5 days tops.

bought the ma duece to replace my highcamp for winter trips and for the longer 14ish day trips.

My 7 yr old son has started coming with me year round now also so i need the extra volume to carry the majority of his gear as well.

I’ve only had the 44 for a short time and wasn’t able to get it out hunting yet but I love the style and organization. Once i get the ma duece i may end up selling the 44, not sure yet though. i try to spend at least 100 nights a year in the backcountry.

If you guys are really looking for a big bag that compressed down nicely for day hunts look into the AMR. I was told by the shop it’s bigger than the Ma Deuce and I know from use it compresses flat leaving just the two large back pockets for day gear. It’s been the best large bag for me so far and I’ve tried almost all of them. It’s the one bag that all the others are compared against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XMP

FNG
I've really loved the .44Mag so far. But having just returned from a January hunt, I can say that for me it's really pushing the volume to fit cold weather gear in it.

I think the perfect solution in my mind would be to have both the .44 and the Ma Deuce. The extra volume would be a plus in the cold or for longer trips, but everything could be in the exact same place on each pack.

I think these packs appeal to those of us who tend more toward the organizational freaks end of the spectrum than some of the more big garbage bag style packs.

OP
Jake Larsen
I've really loved the .44Mag so far. But having just returned from a January hunt, I can say that for me it's really pushing the volume to fit cold weather gear in it.

I think the perfect solution in my mind would be to have both the .44 and the Ma Deuce. The extra volume would be a plus in the cold or for longer trips, but everything could be in the exact same place on each pack.

I think these packs appeal to those of us who tend more toward the organizational freaks end of the spectrum than some of the more big garbage bag style packs.
Yep. And like you said, backpacking in cold weather eats up a ridiculous amount of pack volume. Especially for taller guys. Big clothing makes a way bigger difference than you'd think

XMP

FNG
Agreed. I can't do much about my height, but sometimes I'm tempted to give up weightlifting just so I won't have to carry around this extra large sized clothing;)

pc3

WKR
Zacattack have you got your Ma Deuce yet ? if so what are your thoughts ?

zacattack

WKR
Zacattack have you got your Ma Deuce yet ? if so what are your thoughts ?

IT was delivered Tuesday but I’m still out of town. So unfortunately it’s sitting in the box unopened all alone in my basement. Will be back tomorrow so I’ll post some pictures and initial thoughts over the weekend.

You guys that are saying the 44mag isn't large enough for 5-? however many days, I'm curious how much your loaded pack weighs? I thought the 44mag would be plenty for 5-7 days, even with more warmer clothes. I figured I could add an EE or a Sherman if I came up short, but even with those, the 44 is still ~2000 ci smaller than the Ma Duece. I guess in the pics the Ma just looks like a monster pack to me.

Outlaw99

WKR
It’s as big as you need it to be, but it compresses down well imo. I’m not an ounce counter, and I’m sure empty it’s heavier than other options. For me, I like the layout and options. I like the size in that I can fit whatever I need plus meat out no matter the situation, yet I can put as little as I need and strap it down and compress it for those situations as well. This is a one and done pack for me. I know there’s lots of people that want a dedicated pack for a day pack, 3 day hunt, etc etc. To each there own, but empty and strapped down, this pack doesn’t feel any bigger, bulkier, or heavier than my previous Exo 5500 setup.

OP
Jake Larsen
You guys that are saying the 44mag isn't large enough for 5-? however many days, I'm curious how much your loaded pack weighs? I thought the 44mag would be plenty for 5-7 days, even with more warmer clothes. I figured I could add an EE or a Sherman if I came up short, but even with those, the 44 is still ~2000 ci smaller than the Ma Duece. I guess in the pics the Ma just looks like a monster pack to me.
Man it all depends on how/where you're hunting. But for 7-9 days on a backpack mule deer hunt, im 55-60lbs. I hunt country where you need a lot of big glass, so spotters, big binos, and tripod ect. I also eat a metric crap ton a day, so my food isn't light. There's probably enough room in a 44mag if I strapped on every conceivable extra pocket/lid ect, but i hate running packs that way, and there'd still be nowhere to put meat if I want one trip out. I've tried running my full camp in the main bag and 60-70 lbs of meat/head on the load shelf, and ill never do that crap again.

zacattack

WKR
Finally got to open it up. This fricker is huge. It looks as large as the AMR I had on the inside but I don’t think it is. I must say I do appreciate all the pockets and internal storage. As well as the handles on the top and bottom. I think like was already said if you need/want a big pack with built in organization this is it, and it seems very well thought out. Some other things I’ve noticed right off The bat is that it came cinched down for day mode but I still have access to all the storage pockets on the top of the bag, inside and outside. Only thing that might be a pain is the compression straps go across the side pockets. My struggle now is deciding to keep or sell my native.

Attachments

• 1CA9BDFD-0373-4837-8B1C-252ACD464114.jpeg
    1CA9BDFD-0373-4837-8B1C-252ACD464114.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 73C6D8E3-2CEB-4014-8859-1A1EFBE5D3FB.jpeg
    73C6D8E3-2CEB-4014-8859-1A1EFBE5D3FB.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 180

pc3

WKR
Thanks for the update Zac, looks great !. What frame are you putting this on ?

Due to the flash sale on the 44 mag I couldn't resist.....ordered the 44 mag, 26" frame sherman, nalgene and pouch. Now I've committed to the system I can add another bag as needed.

The 44 mag will be my day pack cinched down as required.

Don't be too concerned about the compression running across the side pockets I recall reading that some dont like their expensive optics flopping around any way (assuming you will be running your optics in the side pockets).

The layout of the 44 and Ma Duece is good for those running a lot of optics I think.

zacattack

WKR
Yeah that 44 mag deal is too good to pass on if you need a bag or if you don’t lol

Got one of the 26” lite frames that I’m going to use it with.

Not sure what I’ll do with all the internal PALS though, I’m sure I’ll find something to do with it

Last edited: