Kifaru Ma Duece review/thoughts?

I finally took my Ma Deuce out for a quick coyote hunt last weekend. I had some concerns that bag this size would simply be too large for day hunts but I think my concerns were unfounded. Here are a few take aways:
-As mentioned above, all of the lid compartments and the top of the bag are full accessible even when the bag is fully compressed.
-I left the 3 side compression straps a little bit loose around my spotting scope so that it was easy to get in/out
-I used the 2 large compression straps that go all the way around the bag to cinch everything up tight and I did need to loosen them to remove the spotter easily but it was only 2 buckles, not 5 that needed to be loosened.
-The lid compartments of the bag were big enough to hold my gloves, hood, toilet paper, fire starter, and some snacks with tons of room to spare
-The top of the bag was roomy enough I stuffed a large coat in there for easy access when I sat down to call.

While I think a 44 mag would be a little easier to manage for most of the hunting that I do, the Ma Deuce will fit the bill nicely and just require a little extra strap management. I look forward to really putting it through it's paces this summer/fall.

pc3

WKR
Good Information,

As far as Kifaru's bigger bags go........which ones the overall winner/most versatile do you think out of;

Fulcrum
Ma deuce
Crater

I just bought a 44 mag due to the sale, and i'll try to make that work for day/weekend trips but will still now buy a bigger bag seeing as I will have a frame for bigger loads/more awkward stuff. I was meant to buy just one bag....the Fulcrum would have been it most likely.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Good Information,

As far as Kifaru's bigger bags go........which ones the overall winner/most versatile do you think out of;

Fulcrum
Ma deuce
Crater

I just bought a 44 mag due to the sale, and i'll try to make that work for day/weekend trips but will still now buy a bigger bag seeing as I will have a frame for bigger loads/more awkward stuff. I was meant to buy just one bag....the Fulcrum would have been it most likely.
The 44 will work for 1-3 day no problem whatsoever no matter what gear you have.

OP
Jake Larsen
The 44 will work for 1-3 day no problem whatsoever no matter what gear you have.
I'd agree with this... The 44 is plenty for any weekend trip unless you're just going nuts over packing...i start needing the big bags at 4 days+ when hunting. If I'm doing backountry fishing/mountaineering, I can do a week+ out of the 44mag no problem. And I'm no Ultralight freak either, I use a Hilleberg shelter a lot of the time, and some other heavier/larger gear.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Jake Larsen
Good Information,

Fulcrum
Ma deuce
Crater

In order to directly answer the question, I think a bit more info is needed. Versatility for what needs exactly? I have a lot of experience with both the fulcrum and crater. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and would be great choices depending on what your specific needs are.

XMP

FNG
As far as the internal PALS, an Organizer pocket works fantastic if you don’t want to go searching for small items rattling around in bigger pouches.

pc3

WKR
In order to directly answer the question, I think a bit more info is needed. Versatility for what needs exactly? I have a lot of experience with both the fulcrum and crater. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and would be great choices depending on what your specific needs are.

Lets say, I get to where I plan to be;

Week + back country hunts pack out meat etc. (knowing myself I wont be a super ultra light guy. I will struggle with that I think so I like to have room.

Awkward objects at times such as fire grill or gas/butane grill, Ar 500 steel target holder, duck decoys etc. Obviously not hiking far with this stuff but I think the fulcrum would handle it.
Spotter/Tripods/15's to store as well the future possibly.

I liked the idea of the fulcrum due to the full opening center zip.....lie flat zip open lay gear in zip back up.

I think if the crater had a second zip up side pocket (surely they could add a second one) and full length zip... it would be perfect, I love those zip up side pockets, the fulcrum gives you two. I am not sure I am a fan of zips that go to the snow collar only, why not just run them all the way up ?

zacattack

WKR
Lets say, I get to where I plan to be;

Week + back country hunts pack out meat etc. (knowing myself I wont be a super ultra light guy. I will struggle with that I think so I like to have room.

Awkward objects at times such as fire grill or gas/butane grill, Ar 500 steel target holder, duck decoys etc. Obviously not hiking far with this stuff but I think the fulcrum would handle it.
Spotter/Tripods/15's to store as well the future possibly.

I liked the idea of the fulcrum due to the full opening center zip.....lie flat zip open lay gear in zip back up.

I think if the crater had a second zip up side pocket (surely they could add a second one) and full length zip... it would be perfect, I love those zip up side pockets, the fulcrum gives you two. I am not sure I am a fan of zips that go to the snow collar only, why not just run them all the way up ?

You should listen to the kifarucast with Bender , they discuss at length about zippers and why something’s cant be done.

I also believe that’s the one when they talk about carrying a person around with just a grab it.

Reactions: pc3
OP
Jake Larsen
You should listen to the kifarucast with Bender , they discuss at length about zippers and why something’s cant be done.

I also believe that’s the one when they talk about carrying a person around with just a grab it.
I'd second this as well...as mentioned, a Grab-it or simply a set of compression straps connected to the frame over the top of any pack is suitable for carrying all sorts of awkward objects. I personally found the fulcrum to be overly strappy and annoying. Switching from big pack to day mode (what I consider to be the primary pack function for me) felt like half an hour of strap management. Also, I can see how it would seem like being able to lay open the pack all the way would be a big deal, but honestly I never used it in that way. For some folks it might be a game changer though. I have always just top loaded a pack. The center zip function for me is useful for nesting a couple items for quick access (a puffy jacket or rain shell). Untill you backpack a bunch and develop your own system the works just how you like it, it's going to be hard to suggest any one above the other. There's not a "best" it's more a matter of personal layout preference and specific use. The good thing is you can try one out, and as you go through the progression, you can switch it up for minimal cost to you by selling it on here lol.

This was meant to be a reply to pc3 BTW. Sorry

I've always felt like the 44 was pushing it on longer outings... Looks like I found my next bag

pc3

WKR

Zac where can I find that one I looked on their website, couldn't seem to locate it is there a link or a episode name ? it sounds interesting. Thanks.

zacattack

WKR
I think it’s episode 208.
Yep that’s the one. It’s really interesting they cover everything from pack design, why they use the hardware they do, how strong the packs and frames really are and why they can’t do somethings.

Last edited:
Reactions: XMP

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a hydration bladder sleeve on the inside of the duece? Specs say hook but nothing about a sleeve.

Something that I haven't seen discussed is even though the Ma Deuce is 3lb-12oz, due to the organization and lare capacity, I most likely wouldn't run any additional pouches or lids. In that case this bag would be just as light or even lighter than say a Cavern, Muskeg 7000, Crater, etc with lid and pouches.

Just something to consider.

OP
Jake Larsen
Something that I haven't seen discussed is even though the Ma Deuce is 3lb-12oz, due to the organization and lare capacity, I most likely wouldn't run any additional pouches or lids. In that case this bag would be just as light or even lighter than say a Cavern, Muskeg 7000, Crater, etc with lid and pouches.

Just something to consider.
Exactly. It's a very clean setup. Also way less strap management, which makes things much faster and less frustrating in the field

zacattack

WKR
Exactly. It's a very clean setup. Also way less strap management, which makes things much faster and less frustrating in the field

yeah, I’m probably just going to run a Sherman on it and that’s it. Don’t see the need for a bunch of pockets in the outside

OP
Jake Larsen
I got mine two days ago... Pretty sweet pack. Its big but not so big it's akward IMHO. I like the larger volume of the two lid pockets as well