Kifaru vs muskeg?

Robnewf

FNG
Interested to hear from people who have owned both. Leaning toward muskeg because of water repelency as I live in Newfoundland, Canada. But realistic wet packs have never been a big concern of mine . I always keep my sleep gear in separate waterproof , the rest can get damp. Still I like the idea of the muskeg

Reading between the lines....I’m guessing he’s asking about regular cordura Kifaru bags vs the muskeg xpac material bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Robnewf

FNG
Sorry guys my mistake. Title suppused to be muskeg vs reckoning. I'm an idiot

Sent from my 9024O using Tapatalk

OP
R

Robnewf

FNG
Not a rain cover guy and never used one never felt the need. Reckoning is a little bigger but 5000 cu is all I need. I've had bigger packs but just end up taking things I don't need to fill it,

Well, I’m biased to the Reckoning. I’ve tried to replace it but have given up as I just keep going back to it. The full center zip and side pockets make it very convenient, as well as the option to add pockets for organization. I pack pretty light/small and it still compressed great.

I haven’t owned a muskeg, but I would say these two may come down to if you want waterproof or not and side pockets or not. Looks like the main difference to me

RyanCmns

WKR
I was dead set on a muskegon for my next pack for the waterproof benefits then the 44mag dropped. I'm running the xpac pockets and a guide lid that should keep alot of the moisture out I haven't had any weather hit while using it yet but it has to be better than just plain cordura. Only draw back of the xpac material I can see is the noise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I have been very happy with my muskeg 5000. I have a guide kid and a few pouches in the xpac also. I will say it’s water resistant not waterproof. Snow is the enemy of all things water resistant.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
@Muleyslayer14 Do you think the 5000 is enough for trips up to 7 days? But I feel the 7000 is to much especailly if I add a lid.
For whats its worth i had a highcamp 7000 for a number of years. Solo 3 season trip i could do 10-14 days. Winter trip about 5. Trip with my son carrying the majority of the gear and all of the food 3 season 8 days, winter 3 days.

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
@Muleyslayer14 Do you think the 5000 is enough for trips up to 7 days? But I feel the 7000 is to much especailly if I add a lid.

I would say it depends on your gear load out and what season your hunting. I know most guys would say it’s enough but I’m planning on getting a ma’ duece this year. I found that I consistently was stretching the space with just gear and didn’t have enough room to fit an animal. I really dislike the meat shelf.

OP
R

Robnewf

FNG
I ended up buying the muskeg 5000. Have since carried 16 loads of boned out moose in it weighing up to 100 lbs as I spent the fall guiding moose hunters. Best purchase I've made in a long time and worth the price. It ain't a dry bag but it keeps everything dry for my purposes. Super tough fabric. Made the right choice for Newfoundland weather

I’ve had a Reckoning, Fulcrum, Argali, and one more I can’t remember. I’ve got a Muskeg 7,000 and 5,000 now. So you can see where my vote is.