Kimber Montana or Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5CM or 7mm-08

ecsn7d

FNG
Curious to hear thoughts on these two rifle and which one somebody would choose based on experience with one or both rifles. Trying to decide between the two. Thanks.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Factory 6.5 cm shoots bullets almost as heavy as most factory 7/08 loads. Because they are longer, they have a higher BC, which means less drift and drop. Can also have higher velocity.

If you hand load it can become more of a toss up. But, at long range the 6.5 wins at precision for the most part. You can't hand load the high bc 7mm bullets unless you have an 8 or 8.5 twist barrel.

Truth is they are so close as to be indistinguishable inside 500 yards. You won't lose a deer because you chose one over the other.

You get into minor or absurd differences like man-bun factor, store availability of ammo, or barrel life. That's what it really comes down to most of the time in these discussions, personal preference.

If you want to shoot long range, factory 6.5 cm ammo is better, cause of the bullets.

MThuntr

WKR
flip a coin...I think bullet construction comes into play. I'd do what I can to pick a bonded or copper bullet over one that was designed for targets. Others will argue differently and that's ok...we each have our own reasons for how we hunt and what we choose for ammo.

If you reload the choices are nearly endless for bullet choices...assuming you can get what you need to reload.

Right now I'd say pick one you can find ammo for more readily. I saw quite a bit of 7-08 ammo yesterday and very little 6.5 creedmoor.

OP
E

ecsn7d

FNG
Thanks for sharing. I’m more so divided on a which of the two rifles to go with? Similar price points. Anybody with experience with either? Build quality? Ergonomics? Accuracy?

I've owned several Montana's and they've all been great shooters, but none in the calibers that you're interested in. I've also owned a Mesa in 6.5 CM that I purchased around the same time that I purchased a Fieldcraft, also in 6.5 CM. The Fieldcraft was much more accurate and lighter than the CA, so the Mesa went down the road.

Side note. I really liked the look and feel of the Mesa, I just couldn't get it to group for shit, and that was with about 5-6 different factory ammo.

Last edited:

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Both are light but there's still a big difference. Montana (5lb,2oz) is over a pound lighter then the Mesa(6lbs,8oz) according to specs. I love to carry my kimber but a extra pound would make a big difference if you are shooting it a lot. I carry my kimber more then I shoot it