Kodiak Canvas tents - yes please

OP
Newtosavage
I like the set up. Do you cook In the tent? Or just boil water and make coffee?
I have to be super careful about food. The grizzly population is quite healthy here and it seems every year a couple guys get chewed up.
I boil water for coffee and oatmeal in the morning and heat up my canned suppers (beef stew and the like with pull-top lids). I probably never have the stove on for more than 10 minutes at a time. But I never keep food in the tent. I have a plastic tub for all my food that stays locked up in the back seat of my pickup at night. I don't even keep wrappers in the tent. I sweep for trash (although I'm very particular about trash in my camp) every evening before I go to sleep. Plenty of bear sign where I was camped this past year, but so far so good.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
my AZ 2020 base camp at trailhead. 65deg-F during day, 22deg at night, early morning.
fold out my Xterra tire carrier as there is a fold up table attached. Fits nicely under the front awning for cooking or other prep stuff.
used propane heater at dinner & eve relax time, before bed at night and start up in the morning for 5 min before getting out of the sleeping bag to ready for the day's hunt.

as much as I like my Kodiak 10x10, that Arctic Oven 10 tent has peaked my interest big time. The option of heating with a wood stove is super appealing. I use a 12x10 Wall canvas Rainer tent in WA State hunts. Wood stove, hot water tank, warm shelf for pots food is very nice.

Attachments

• 2020.AZ Trailhead camp 1.jpg
    2020.AZ Trailhead camp 1.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 67

Ozz08

WKR
I have a 10x14. I agree with the other posts on the ease of set up. Fast and simple for one person. I’ve had mine for 4 years and have really enjoyed it for basecamp during archery backpack hunts and my main shelter during November rifle hunts. However it has not held up perfectly for me.

The floor started deteriorating a year ago (still doesn’t leak though), grommets on the awning blew out over time, and this past season the canvas and stitching had some failures during Colorado’s 3rd season. We had some decent wind pretty much the entire week. The canvas ripped right above the vent on one side. This is an area that gets very taught during set up and I think the combo of high over night wind, a few inches of snow, and very tight canvas just caused it to give. I lost two stake out loops (wind side) during the course of the week as well. Stitching along one side of the tent (Wind side) gave out also. I’m sure this was mostly due to wind. We had a lot of 20 mph sustained winds with gusts to mid 40’s throughout the week along with some snow loading a couple nights.

I’ve always made sure to clean, dry out, and store the tent properly. I think the stitching and fabric just met it’s match for weather abuse which I definitely wouldn’t call extreme but the wind was “abusive”. Kind of a bummer but I’ll repair it and continue to use it.

NB7

WKR
I've been following this thread while researching buying a new tent. Just happened to come across a used one in great condition on Marketplace for a decent price, and picked it up today. It's a 10x14. Haven't used it yet but I did set it up and found it very easy to do even by myself. Initially, I'm planning on using a Mr Buddy heater on 20# tank but eventually will also get it set up for a wood stove. I plan to have a local boat canvas guy I know make the necessary mods by adding a stove jack. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a size and/or brand of traditional wood stove they would recommend for this size tent. I would be leaning more toward the heavier style such as the Yukon from Wall tent shop or something similar.