Kuiu Kutana

I'll be interested in the forthcoming Rokslide reviews. Looking at the Kuiu comparison guides I don't see exactly where I would fit these pieces in since I've already got Yukon rain gear, Attack pants, and Kenai insulation. I do like the idea of the Kutana Hybrid jacket. That's the piece I'm most interested in. I'll be real interested in how it compares to my Kenai jacket which I love.

Agree with dreamingwest, not sure exactly where it fits in, seems like they already have comparable items (especially the Axis line which is pretty new, seems the Kutana soft shell series is almost the same) and the Kutana saves an ounce here or there. But excited to see some reviews coming in to see about the increased durability.

prm

WKR
I like that Kutana hybrid jacket. In my system I’d see it replacing the Arc’teryx Atom LT hoody.

If worn over a silkweight base and 240 Peleton it appears it would be warm, yet breathable, especially wearing a pack. The benefit over the Atom would be more breathability on the back and presumably a more durable outer layer. If The DWR is quite good it may negate the need for a rain jacket for many western hunts where the need for a rain jacket is marginal.

Or, a better comparison may be the Sitka Kelvin Active. This looks to have a more robust face material though.

Add a nice puffy for glassing and that may be a nice system.

Last edited:
Looks cool. I wonder if this becomes a successor to their guide line. Wish they were making them in brown.

For me, kuiu pants are still the best of the bunch, although the pro pants I bought are a little on the skinny jeans size compared to my attacks. Love their zip off base layer bottoms too.

Top sizing is always hit or miss. I have some XL base layer tops, most of my stuff is XXl but I had to go 3xl on my guide jacket to get room to layer.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
It says on the website that the Kutana pants are suppose to be better for resisting snags. I love my attack pants, but being in WA I get snagged in a lot of blackberry bushes. I will be at there store in Dixon this weekend and look forward to getting some hands on these new pieces.

ericF

WKR
Agree with Ctitus25, this line appears to be more targeted at people busting brush. That is probably their biggest complaint that I have seen on their attack pant is that they will get snags and get torn up in the thick stuff. I don't see the Kutana line replacing any of their other lines, but as more of a separate line for people who want the increased durability.

Benjblt

WKR
Agree with Ctitus25, this line appears to be more targeted at people busting brush. That is probably their biggest complaint that I have seen on their attack pant is that they will get snags and get torn up in the thick stuff. I don't see the Kutana line replacing any of their other lines, but as more of a separate line for people who want the increased durability.

100% what it is. Back when Kuiu had a forum i got on and complained about my Attacks that I just bought getting torn up, literally my first steps out of the truck. I asked why they didn't come out with a something Nylon. I don't take credit for it but shortly thereafter Kuiu dropped its forum (spose they can't take much criticism). It only took them forever but they finally did. Nylon pants (Corrugate Guide) is the initial reason why I went to First Lite for some of my hunting cloths, I need abrasion resistant clothing here in Western Oregon. I don't love the Corrugate. I also see issues with my Prana Zions and the EB Guides. Kuiu may have eliminated my need for these three. I'm super pumped, nylon pants with hip vent! An abrasion resistant insulation layer? What?! But seriously I've been waiting for these things. This is no small thing. First lite has great ideas but the execution isn't always there. Kuiu doesn't always come out with what I want but the execution (other then really tight fitting pants :) ) is better then other companies. I still love first lite. Kuiu may have just pulled out in front though.

It says on the website that the Kutana pants are suppose to be better for resisting snags. I love my attack pants, but being in WA I get snagged in a lot of blackberry bushes. I will be at there store in Dixon this weekend and look forward to getting some hands on these new pieces.

I’ll also be at the event on Saturday. It’ll be nice to check them out.

I don't have any Kuiu but I am very interested in this. I want to see how it compares in the real world to other nylon based jackets like the Sitka Timberline Jacket (2 way stretch, more expensive) and First Lite Corrugate (less expensive, less features, not in stock), or non-hunting brands like OR Ferrosi or Prevail (never tried them). It's several oz heavier (15.5, 18 vs 20.5) which isn't good but not necessarily bad. The fabric stretches from the weave rather than spandex so I'm interested to see how it holds up in brush and how quiet it is

Benjblt

WKR
I don't have any Kuiu but I am very interested in this. I want to see how it compares in the real world to other nylon based jackets like the Sitka Timberline Jacket (2 way stretch, more expensive) and First Lite Corrugate (less expensive, less features, not in stock), or non-hunting brands like OR Ferrosi or Prevail (never tried them). It's several oz heavier (15.5, 18 vs 20.5) which isn't good but not necessarily bad. The fabric stretches from the weave rather than spandex so I'm interested to see how it holds up in brush and how quiet it is
I've had the Corrugate Guide pants for a while and you can see the spandex all balled up and pilled all over the place where it's failing. It hasn't been a functional issue but I'm curious to see how this non-spandex stuff does also.

I'm getting the rain jacket today.
Do you happen to have a chugach to compare it to?

I'm in the market for something to replace my rain jacket and Jetstream for nasty weather rifle hunts wear noise isn't a huge deal.

Been considering chugach or cloudburst, but this new storm shell seems interesting.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

bigharge

WKR
I was going to try a pair of the stretch pants but they are already out of my size. Will be interested to see how they compare with other similar pants like the zions and corrugate lites

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
I’m interested in the fit of the jackets. Their stuff typically has sleeves too narrow to comfortably fit over any layer which I find odd for a soft shell jacket.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Do you happen to have a chugach to compare it to?

I'm in the market for something to replace my rain jacket and Jetstream for nasty weather rifle hunts wear noise isn't a huge deal.

Been considering chugach or cloudburst, but this new storm shell seems interesting.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have the Yukon.

If the pants are like the corrugates it’s gonna be a no from me. I had a pair and they would get stretched out and not fit right until washed. Never had that problem with the attacks and tiburons.

Everyone is different, but I never understood the complaints about Attack pants durability. They are the best pants I've ever owned. Sure I've got some thread pulls over the years. But I've owned the same pair for 7 years and I've worn them nearly every day I've hunted over those years. I've worked out in them, camped in them, fished in them, slid down mountains in them... I was proud to finally rip them by sliding in a scree field on my goat hunt this past year. Now they look even better with some tenacious tape on them.