Kuiu Kutana

My180sx

FNG
I had a guide at one time. If I remember correctly, it's of similar fit. The guide could be sized ever so slightly larger to put more layers underneath.
Perfect i will probably go with a large then, and here is my last question how is the face fabric does it appear to be as advertised as a durable brush busting midlayer?

Trekker

FNG
Can anyone comment on the kutana softshell pants. Is there a micro fleece liner like the attack? How does the material feel next to skin?

Can anyone comment on the kutana softshell pants. Is there a micro fleece liner like the attack? How does the material feel next to skin?

i definitely wouldn't call them a softshell pant. there isnt any micro fleece liner or anything like that like in most softshell type pants like the guides or something. its just a single layer of the nylon inside and out, but feels like a tighter weave and a bit more substantial fabric than regular outdoor companies nylon pants (ie rei, eddie bauer etc). comfortable so far, havent had a chance to take them out yet though

Trekker

FNG
i definitely wouldn't call them a softshell pant. there isnt any micro fleece liner or anything like that like in most softshell type pants like the guides or something. its just a single layer of the nylon inside and out, but feels like a tighter weave and a bit more substantial fabric than regular outdoor companies nylon pants (ie rei, eddie bauer etc). comfortable so far, havent had a chance to take them out yet though

Thanks for the response. I might have to check these out.

My180sx

FNG
I picked up the hybrid jacket at the store today. Nice piece, but I had to size up to an XXL. DWR is very effective. Ran the sleeve under the sink for a solid minute and the water just beaded off.
I picked up the hybrid jacket at the store today. Nice piece, but I had to size up to an XXL. DWR is very effective. Ran the sleeve under the sink for a solid minute and the water just beaded off.
Would you say its cut for layering under a softshell and would get the same size as your a soft shell? or size down for a more fitted fit?

Would you say its cut for layering under a softshell and would get the same size as your a soft shell? or size down for a more fitted fit?

I didn’t try on the soft shell so I’m not sure how it fits. I’m 6’2” and a lean 200 pounds, the XL was too tight across the shoulders. With the 2XL I have room to layer underneath. I’d say you could probably get the same size as the soft shell and layer under that.

As Kuiu has never made a size Small in their rain gear, I have stuck with the Sitka Dewpoint line for mountain hunting. It is however a bit light when busting through lots of wet alders. I decided to order both the Kutana rain jacket and pants to try Kuiu again to see if this line may work for my size, 5'6 145 lbs. Some have mentioned that this line is a bit trimmer than the Chugach and Yukon. Also on order are the new redesigned Cloudburst jacket and pants. I'll be able to report back on both within a couple weeks after comparing.

Benjblt

WKR

How do you like the pockets and zippers? I tried on the pants and the zipper pulls didn't work perfect and smooth for me. I had to use both hands some.

How do you like the pockets and zippers? I tried on the pants and the zipper pulls didn't work perfect and smooth for me. I had to use both hands some.

the zippers have worked fine for me so far. the front pockets do seem to be a little small for me and kinda tight getting my hands in and out though.

Wore the Kutana hybrid jacket for 6 days in Idaho this last week at 5000ish feet. Was perfect for glassing in the cool, windy mornings and evenings. DWR coating kept me dry in the rain and it was super comfortable. Wind resistance was better than the peloton 240. Perfect early season piece as a stand-alone, would layer well with a light puffy or fleece midlayer for later season stuff. It packs down nice as well. It’s a winner in my book.

My180sx

FNG
Wore the Kutana hybrid jacket for 6 days in Idaho this last week at 5000ish feet. Was perfect for glassing in the cool, windy mornings and evenings. DWR coating kept me dry in the rain and it was super comfortable. Wind resistance was better than the peloton 240. Perfect early season piece as a stand-alone, would layer well with a light puffy or fleece midlayer for later season stuff. It packs down nice as well. It’s a winner in my book.
how was the breathabillity when moving around/hiking with the jacket?

how was the breathabillity when moving around/hiking with the jacket?

Not bad at all. I typically run pretty warm, temps were in the 40s-50s. I wouldn’t go on a long steep hike with it on but in cooler temps I’m sure it would do quite well for active insulation.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for an insulation piece to go over my peloton. I was eyeing up the kenai however the katana hybrid is attractive as a durable outer layer as well.

Does anyone have both and can speak to the warmth of the Kutana as well as the durability of the Kenai?

My180sx

FNG
Looking for an insulation piece to go over my peloton. I was eyeing up the kenai however the katana hybrid is attractive as a durable outer layer as well.

Does anyone have both and can speak to the warmth of the Kutana as well as the durability of the Kenai?
I own the kenai and durability is one of the last words that comes to mind I just ordered the kutana hybrid as the kenai just doesnt have a durable enough face fabric to deal with any bushwacking and on its own over mid layers or base layers just isnt very warm due to its high breathability (it is a active insulation peice). It is warm under rain gear or a softshell but thats about it in my experience

How quiet is the jacket? Using it for spot and stalk prairie mulies

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

As Kuiu has never made a size Small in their rain gear, I have stuck with the Sitka Dewpoint line for mountain hunting. It is however a bit light when busting through lots of wet alders. I decided to order both the Kutana rain jacket and pants to try Kuiu again to see if this line may work for my size, 5'6 145 lbs. Some have mentioned that this line is a bit trimmer than the Chugach and Yukon. Also on order are the new redesigned Cloudburst jacket and pants. I'll be able to report back on both within a couple weeks after comparing.

Really interested in hearing your comparison on this, sent you a message too

Well, here I sit trying to decide what to keep and what to return. I tend to run a bit cool once I settle in for a glassing session. When hiking, I can get pretty warm so I seem to run the spectrum.

I have a chinook jacket which I really like. I also have an axis jacket and pants for my late season set up.
I have a Skre down puffy for my puffy layer and an assortment of FL merino and Kuiu peloton base/mid layers. I have chugach rain gear and Yukon pants for truly wet days.

Sitting in my closet and returnable are:
Kutana soft shell - bought as an alternative to the chinook since it has a hood. Not sure if I should return it. go with it and sell the chinook, or keep both, alternating hooded vs hoodless based on potential moisture.

Kutana hybrid - bought it to check out. I like it, and it would be easier to put on that a peloton 200 zip but it is also heavier. I'm not a big fan of peloton, but it's lightweight makes it great as packable second layers.

Kenai Hooded - bought to wear under my outer layer if we are expecting rain and cold vs snow and cold. Figured the synthetic insulation would work better if it gets wet.

I don't need this many coats and need to narrow it down. I wish Kuiu would do a continuum for some of their measurements or a comparative review. I know they have the guides, which help some, but there is so much overlap in their product lines.