Kuiu Kutana

Kostrize

WKR
I’m surprised they don’t have 100+ positive reviews posted already lol.

All seriousness, I’d like to try the hybrid and the softshell pants. Have to assume the soft shell jacket is the successor to the guide jacket. Don’t really see the point of the guide jacket anymore, and only 40 bucks cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It says on the website that the Kutana pants are suppose to be better for resisting snags. I love my attack pants, but being in WA I get snagged in a lot of blackberry bushes. I will be at there store in Dixon this weekend and look forward to getting some hands on these new pieces.
Will you please assess the noise factor and report back. Thanks

I agree, I hope noise isn’t an issue. The durability should be there but there’s usually a trade off. I’m going to try the softshell jacket and pants to see for myself.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I talked to KUIU yesterday, the person on the phone told my that the Kutana rain gear was meant for more sedentary/stationary hunting, not high activity level stuff. I was sort of surprised to hear that.

I talked to KUIU yesterday, the person on the phone told my that the Kutana rain gear was meant for more sedentary/stationary hunting, not high activity level stuff. I was sort of surprised to hear that.
Would make sense, given the breathability ratings of the chugach and yukon are way higher than the kutana, assuming the tests are comparable.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Would make sense, given the breathability ratings of the chugach and yukon are way higher than the kutana, assuming the tests are comparable.

Yup looking at the numbers in makes sense, I just thought it was a bit strange, it’s got increased durability so it won’t get shredded when hiking, but it’s not really meant for active hunting. In the end after taking with them for ~ 20 minutes, I decided to give the rain gear a pass and just stick with my Yukon.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider

I have never been disappointed in any of my kuiu gear, but was also surprised when i saw the breathability ratings for the Kutana when it is advertised as a more durable option. The breathability is comparable to the discontinued Teton rain gear, but more waterproof and durable.

Yup looking at the numbers in makes sense, I just thought it was a bit strange, it’s got increased durability so it won’t get shredded when hiking, but it’s not really meant for active hunting. In the end after taking with them for ~ 20 minutes, I decided to give the rain gear a pass and just stick with my Yukon.

I don't find that strange at all, I would find it strange if something durable that would resist getting shredded was breathable and light. But then something being breathable and waterproof is an odd concept too.

Benjblt

WKR
I have never been disappointed in any of my kuiu gear, but was also surprised when i saw the breathability ratings for the Kutana when it is advertised as a more durable option. The breathability is comparable to the discontinued Teton rain gear, but more waterproof and durable.
I kind fill like "breathability" is a misnomer with rain gear. I've sweated out some high end, breathable rain gear before. Of course, every little bit helps and was surprised as well at how they kind of contradict the design and purpose of the Kutana rain gear with its breath-ability. IT's still not a pair of rubber pants though.

The lower breathability rating and new DWR will likely take longer to wet out than the chugach and yukon, even though the "waterproof" rating is the same. I'm assuming thats why they are saying it's meant for more stationary things. Although that seems a little odd to intend it to be for more stationary hunts considering they're touting the increased durability, which would be conducive to active hunting and busting brush. Seems kinda pointless.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The lower breathability rating and new DWR will likely take longer to wet out than the chugach and yukon, even though the "waterproof" rating is the same. I'm assuming thats why they are saying it's meant for more stationary things. Although that seems a little odd to intend it to be for more stationary hunts considering they're touting the increased durability, which would be conducive to active hunting and busting brush. Seems kinda pointless.

That was my thought exactly.

I'd definitely be interested in the pants if they are something durable, me being a Northwest hunter. I tore up some Kuiu Alpines on the first day I used em. Our deer don't live in fields they live in the woods. If anyone gets their hands on them write a review!

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
The rain gear uses whatever fancy membrane that sounds like it would be similar to eVent's direct venting, although the Kutana breath-ability rating is still a lot lower than eVent's, the breathability performance might be better than people are initially thinking. Time will tell...

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of Kutana Rain pants. I'll take less breathability if they don't wet out super fast. I'm the old school dude that keeps going back to impertec/ Peter storm. My sheep rain gear is glacier socks with Peter storm jacket. With a cheap pair of EWACS cut off at the knee to keep my butt dry if sitting a while.