Kuiu Kutana

The reason KUIU took so long to introduce a Nylon line is because KUIU stay away from Lycra and spandex to achieve their stretch. Time will tell, but apparently they achieved the stretch with nylon without spandex/lycra just as they did with their poly pants such as the Attacks. This to me is game changing because most of the moisture absorption in pants is in the spandex or lcyra. Also, I seem to stink out a pair of poly pants in one day. My prana pants do not stink near as bad as my attacks. So, odor management should be better in these new Nylon KUIU pants.

parshal

WKR
I too was told the Kutana rain gear was for more sedentary wear.

I received the Kutana hybrid jacket today. I have a couple of the Chinooks that I really like and wanted to compare. I wish the Kutana had pit zips. The zipper pockets have mesh that runs up the front of the jacket and looks like it would vent very well with a little headwind, though. It seems a decent compromise to pit zips since they can be a bit finicky opening and closing with pack straps.

It's a bit warmer jacket than the Chinook but not an insulating jacket. It's much closer to the Chinook than the Kenai as far as insulation goes but warmer than the Chinook. The Chinook has tighter fitting wrists and can be difficult to take off without turning the sleeves inside out. This one easily comes off. It has a little stretch the fabric, too.

I think one of the Chinooks will be up for sale.

Last edited:
I picked up the hybrid jacket at the store today. Nice piece, but I had to size up to an XXL. DWR is very effective. Ran the sleeve under the sink for a solid minute and the water just beaded off.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I picked up the hybrid jacket at the store today. Nice piece, but I had to size up to an XXL. DWR is very effective. Ran the sleeve under the sink for a solid minute and the water just beaded off.

I’ve had to size up with other kuiu jackets, both the guide and the Yukon I needed to go to 2xl.

Also I want to say i am not a KUIU fan boy I have a few pieces and have been critical of them for reasons outside of their clothing/gear. Put that aside I have owned and ran all of the major brands and KUIU still is the best for the type of hunting I like to do which is high country mountain hunting. The main reason for this is the fact that KUIU's pants dry much faster than other brands because of the absence of lycra or spandex. If you are on a packpack hunt and only use one pair of pants this is a big benefit.

For those saying they are not sure where this line fits in:
1. The jacket weights 13.5oz and breathes and has odor control. Put this into perspective my First Lite Klamath hoody weights 16oz and I could ditch a the grid fleece, lose a couple ounces and gain much more breathability and insulation in one piece.

Now the rain gear for me is not a win, but it will be a lot more durable. I still would rather run their chugach NX as it more than 3 times more breathable. Again, this is relative to how you hunt. I value breathability over durabilty.

The pants I already mentioned above but besides durability, nylon does not hold odor as poly. Again, not saying it won't stink, but you will be able to get a couple more days before its real bad versus say the attacks. So, a few ounces lighter, more durability and better stink management is a win in my book.

ianpadron

WKR
I'm guessing the pants are going to be awesome, per usual.

What I'd really like to know is how wind proof is the softshell jacket. The Guide is great for cold/active hunts but man alive, wind cuts right through it once you stop moving.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing the pants are going to be awesome, per usual.

What I'd really like to know is how wind proof is the softshell jacket. The Guide is great for cold/active hunts but man alive, wind cuts right through it once you stop moving.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I asked them this question and they said it would be comparable to the guide. I think for more wind resistance you need peloton 240 or the axis.

PHo

WKR
I tried on the Kutana nylon pant yesterday and I really like the pocket layout. Fit was a bit tighter than their attacks, I’m a 32 in the attacks and I actually had to use 34. Definitely not as stretchy as the attacks, but I expected as much since it’s only 2-way stretch. Certainly seemed way more durable though. The only thing I didn’t like was how loud it was, although that’s kind of characteristic of nylon in general. I think it may quiet down some after a few washes.

Wireman07

WKR
Attack Pant or Kutana Stretch Woven Pant? Hard to choose.
Kutana, its going to be more durable. Its a little lighter than the attack, but you can ways put a light base layer on underneath to get same warmth. It would probably be a bit more universal if you ask me.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up the stretch pants and the shell pants at the showroom Saturday. Noise on the shell pants is comparable with the chugach, but they feel like a more durable material.

Firebug93

FNG
The rain jacket is loud and fits tighter then the chugach. The hybrid jacket is super tight on the forearms. Sizing sucks with this lineup.

parshal

WKR
I found the sizing to be the same as the Chinook with the Kutana not being as tight at the wrists.

bhylton

WKR
the pants look very interesting. would the FL Guide Lite pant be a direct comparison? its also a light weight 100% nylon

Anyone have or seen the katana stretch pants in loden? What do you think of the color?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My180sx

FNG
I too was told the Kutana rain gear was for more sedentary wear.

I received the Kutana hybrid jacket today. I have a couple of the Chinooks that I really like and wanted to compare. I wish the Kutana had pit zips. The zipper pockets have mesh that runs up the front of the jacket and looks like it would vent very well with a little headwind, though. It seems a decent compromise to pit zips since they can be a bit finicky opening and closing with pack straps.

It's a bit warmer jacket than the Chinook but not an insulating jacket. It's much closer to the Chinook than the Kenai as far as insulation goes but warmer than the Chinook. The Chinook has tighter fitting wrists and can be difficult to take off without turning the sleeves inside out. This one easily comes off. It has a little stretch the fabric, too.

I think one of the Chinooks will be up for sale.

How is the sizing of the kutana hybrid? Is it like all other kuiu gear where you have to size up? I wear large in all their base and mid layers and XL in the outter layers ie. Softshells and rain gear

parshal

WKR
The hybrid medium fits like the chinook medium although from the elbow the wrists it's a little more roomy. With the chinook, I have to basically turn the sleeves inside out to get it off easily. The kutana simply comes off like a normal jacket.

My180sx

FNG
The hybrid medium fits like the chinook medium although from the elbow the wrists it's a little more roomy. With the chinook, I have to basically turn the sleeves inside out to get it off easily. The kutana simply comes off like a normal jacket.
Thanks for the reply! However I dont have the chinook and have never tried it on how would it compare to the guide jacket or peloton 240? If you have had those pieces of course. Thanks!

parshal

WKR
I had a guide at one time. If I remember correctly, it's of similar fit. The guide could be sized ever so slightly larger to put more layers underneath.