Kuiu new $900 coat

OMB

WKR
But you know, that company “Canadian Goose” has a whole range of insulated coats and jackets that range from $700 to $1300. Kids coats costing that much also.

so I guess more people than you would think can drop that kind of coin on a coat. either that or they want you to think they have that kind of money.

i think we just had a similar thread on the cost of houses

Wife's parents got me a Canada Goose parka for Christmas last year after I moved up back north and needed a more proper winter jacket, and honestly they're great. Extremely warm, waterproof, very well built, and probably worth the money if you live up north.

That being said, outside of maybe the Kutana Gale Force, I wouldn't call Kuiu stuff exactly bomb proof, and I'd have a hard time shelling out the money for this one. Also, it's presumably not made in the US or Canada, so I have no idea how they can justify $800, unless they think there's a lot of guys that will pay it.

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
For that price it better have life time warranty. Realistically you could get an arcteryx product in an earth tone and have it for life plus a good warranty.
There was a guy I read about that tore a sleeve on a 20 year old 600-700 dollar Arcteryx jacket and they still replaced it. If Kuiu can do that awesome if not , not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A FF khumbu is 150 less, sewn in Seattle and will be a lot warmer. Isn't even the warmest coat they make. No camo. Or any of the other mtn brands.

On the wpb layer, I have a couple of big puffies one with and one without. It is surprisingly nice to just get definitively warm even if it is pounding snow and not particularly cold. And for true deep cold that might be your entire outer layer system (ie no shell) in which case the wpb is there more for its wind blocking than waterproofing. Not a lot of people are really going to hunt when it is -40 though.

An almost wasted feature is waterproof shell. If your wearing this it’s well below feeezing. Just my 2 cents.
More for windblocking, it's essentially dual purpose. The WPB laminate also adds insulation value It's really not overly price for what it is IMO. I have zero use for it but like I said looks to be on par with similar offers for less

This piece is inline with the arcteryx alpha parka that's $999

Lowg08

WKR
Well the email introducing it about got me in trouble once I clicked the link. I made a comment something like WHOOO!!! during a management training class. Hey someone may need it or want it. Good for them. I’m sure it’s definitely warm and checks allot of boxes. Warm, wind proof, waterproof and packable

For that price it better have life time warranty. Realistically you could get an arcteryx product in an earth tone and have it for life plus a good warranty.
There was a guy I read about that tore a sleeve on a 20 year old 600-700 dollar Arcteryx jacket and they still replaced it. If Kuiu can do that awesome if not , not worth it.

Too bad Arc’teryx doesn’t do that kind of thing any more. Their new Limited Warranty doesn’t cover rips and tears at all, although they will send you instructions for patching them yourself.

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
Too bad Arc’teryx doesn’t do that kind of thing any more. Their new Limited Warranty doesn’t cover rips and tears at all, although they will send you instructions for patching them yourself.

I’ve had three jackets replaced. One was burnt ,one was torn and the other I broke the zipper. All were replaced for free besides the burnt one. They replaced it for $60 and the jacket was $250.

EastMT

WKR
I have a KUIU puffer. I also have a swisstech $30 camo puffer. It’s not as quiet, but just as warm. I think I’ll keep up the cheap way, it’s getting out of hand

I’ve had three jackets replaced. One was burnt ,one was torn and the other I broke the zipper. All were replaced for free besides the burnt one. They replaced it for $60 and the jacket was $250.

Must not have been recent? If you got that service since 2020 (2019?) when they changed the policies, you are lucky.

After a couple of months of light use, the Beta AR I purchased new early this year was revealed to have a small tear that showed up in the first extended heavy rain I was in. Likely was there when it was sent. From their customer care:
“.After reviewing the information you’ve sent, it appears that due to the nature of the damage on this product, it is unfortunately beyond our Limited Warranty. Our Limited Warranty does not cover rips and tears. Additionally, we are not able to re-panel jackets at this time.”

Luckily I bought it through REI, and they fully refunded me.

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
Must not have been recent? If you got that service since 2020 (2019?) when they changed the policies, you are lucky.

After a couple of months of light use, the Beta AR I purchased new early this year was revealed to have a small tear that showed up in the first extended heavy rain I was in. Likely was there when it was sent. From their customer care:
“.After reviewing the information you’ve sent, it appears that due to the nature of the damage on this product, it is unfortunately beyond our Limited Warranty. Our Limited Warranty does not cover rips and tears. Additionally, we are not able to re-panel jackets at this time.”

Luckily I bought it through REI, and they fully refunded me.

Yea it was before 2019. That’s unfortunate though.