Kuiu new $900 coat

Poser

WKR
This jacket has a laminate if I recall correctly plus the down fill. It’s as if the Kutana rain gear was joined to the superdown pro Jacket. So a comparison to another brands straight down jackets is apples and oranges. If I’m correct about the laminate anyway.

Without double checking the prices, it would seem you could buy a Katana jacket + a super down pro for cheaper than this coat. The only downside would be you don’t have immediate access to insulated pockets? If you consider it that way, you’re paying ~$100 per insulated pocket?

CLP

FNG
Just read through all the comments and thought I’d post a quick review since I was one of the suckers who bought this jacket. I had a Marco Polo hunt in Kyrgyzstan in early November and the temps there are crazy and you’re not moving a lot since horses do most of the work.

I ended up pairing this with a set of gale force pants and Stone Glaciers merino and synthetic base layers. I was honestly surprised how warm it was in -5 to -10 temps and it’s very packable which comes in handy when you’re trying to meet your size and weight limitations on international flights.

That said, now that I’m home I don’t know if I’ll ever use it again. As most have said, it’s a very specialty item for a limited set of circumstances.

Rock-o

WKR
...one of the original main selling points was consumer direct and cutting out the huge retail markup ... In the past few years, they've brought their price point up substantially (pre-pandemic and pre inflation) to the point that consumer direct isn't saving the customer a ton of money. Take a Guide jacket for example, currently retailing at $239, and IIRC, it wasn't too long ago those were $150 jackets.

My Guide jacket was 186.15 on Jan 10, 2020. However, I believe that price was discounted 10%. If so, the regular price would have been 206.83. The current $239 retail for me would be 258.71. That's a 25% increase since I bought mine 22 months ago. Now, supposing my price was not discounted... wow.

Last edited:

ToolMann

WKR
I remember when first lite ditched their retailers. Dropped prices on a handful of items briefly to tout direct to consumer savings. It’s really just a way to increase margins and in a world of fast easy shipping and returns /exchanges it works.
This for the win.

Reactions: OMB

ToolMann

WKR
I bought one - love it! It's built like a tank, I'm really impressed at the build quality all around. Very similar in quality to the Gale Force stuff. I'm shocked at how compressible the jacket is and how lofty it is. The details really shine here: The length is perfect when you're sitting, the hood is deep and wraps around your face, the draw cords for the hood are well thought out and pull the hood it real nice, the cuff adj is oversized for use with gloves, draw cord around the waist, deep glove pocket on the inside, and the shell is not as loud as I expected. I will say that when you put this coat on it's instant HOT. I'm excited to have this in the pack during the late season.

Lots of folk on here are shocked at the price, however, this easily compares to the new ArcTeryx Alpha parka. It really is an awesome piece, especially if you don't like being cold. What's mentioned on this thread vs reality is drastically different - M/L/XL SOLD OUT in both solid colors, M/L SOLD OUT in all camo patterns. LOL Are their other companies that produce similar - maybe - but how much have they contributed to the hunting/conservation community. The entire "direct to consumer" model isn't part of KUIU's strategy any longer and hasn't been for years. They don't even mention this on their website anymore. The KUIU brand isn't "new" or in jeopardy of going out of business, hence why they're able to increase pricing to manage demand. They are in business to earn money to continue to bring awesome gear to market. #CAPITALISM I wish manufacturing could happen here in the US but the quality and labor cost is unmatched when compared to overseas offers. That's an American problem that the US created, not a KUIU problem.

Cheers!
Direct to consumer isn't part of their model? Am missing the retail stores they are selling in?

OMB

WKR
Direct to consumer isn't part of their model? Am missing the retail stores they are selling in?
I've seen the slides from their deck from their last round of pitching private equity investment in New York from a few years ago, they are absolutely printing money with zero intentions of going into retail stores.

They make great stuff, but they obviously time product launches to max out sales. I'm going to laugh so hard in 2024 when they introduce a Strong Fleece 260 without a hood when the entire time everyone agrees the hood sucks and should just be a layering piece. I know people who had seamtresses cut the hood off Super Down jackets and then 2 years later magically non-hooded versions hit the market.

Again, the product is generally great, and I like their politics more than Sitka and I don't want to add a dime to Rinella's bank account with First Lite, but gosh, I'm sorry but I don't care about a review on a heavy weight down product from somebody from south carolina that is wearing it to to sit a deer stand in january in 20 degree weather.

When I think about the times that I was actually and completely freezing cold (and usually wet) knowing that I still was going to spend at least a few more days in the backcountry, I would have paid just about anything for a super warm and packable parka. Had the “ah, I don’t need that thing” moment every time during prep/ pack time and came back to bite me a few times.

Is it a must? Not at all. Would it be REALLY nice to have in some situations. Oh yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
I needed a new winter coat and ( on a slightly drunken whim) decided to throw an extra $200 down and try this out.

the coat is legit and if it lasts 10yrs will be well worth it.

Obviously there are cheaper options for a similar warmth level. I doubt any of them compress as well as this does or offer waterproofing (necessary or not)

I am sure I look like a sucker to some (maybe I am…) but I think we have all spent more money on items less useful than a warm coat.

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen the slides from their deck from their last round of pitching private equity investment in New York from a few years ago, they are absolutely printing money with zero intentions of going into retail stores.

They make great stuff, but they obviously time product launches to max out sales. I'm going to laugh so hard in 2024 when they introduce a Strong Fleece 260 without a hood when the entire time everyone agrees the hood sucks and should just be a layering piece. I know people who had seamtresses cut the hood off Super Down jackets and then 2 years later magically non-hooded versions hit the market.

Again, the product is generally great, and I like their politics more than Sitka and I don't want to add a dime to Rinella's bank account with First Lite, but gosh, I'm sorry but I don't care about a review on a heavy weight down product from somebody from south Carolina that is wearing it to to sit a deer stand in January in 20 degree wea
I should edit that:
The point I was trying to make is the "removing the middle man" pitch was a great way for them to gain market share in the beginning. That "middle man savings" has now become additional margin, solid business concept if you ask me. I think you'd agree that it's safe to say that most business are built to make money.

As far as my "review" your assumption would be SPOT ON! DON'T TAKE ANYTHING I SAID AS A REVIEW! I just got it how could I have possibly provide a SOLID review from actual use...it literally just came out...LOL!!!! More of first observations. Fortunately, our property here in SC utilizes HUNTERS COMFORT blinds (@20 of them spread over 2k acers) with little buddy heaters - I NEVER sit in 20* weather lol. I could drive up and hunt in PJ's dude, I'm spoiled when it comes to whitetails. Believe it or not we have airports, both private and public, and they allow you to fly anywhere you want...even other states/countries to hunt! CRAZY right!

BUT if I do ever decide to bust this out here in SC I'll let you know how 20* feels here in SC vs your the 20* in your neck of the woods...lol

I'm just a gear junkie dude and of all the pieces I've seen/owned/used from KUIU, Arcteryx, Sitka, FL, SG, FF, countless others this puffy is pretty badass - who doesn't want overkill. As far as the price - step up or move on. I'm sure if COSTCO made one it'd be just as warm but your pictures won't look as good....hahahah

Cheers!

Last edited:

2531usmc

WKR
For those of you that bought the Kuiu jacket, did you look at the comparably priced Sitka Blizzard Aerolite jacket?
Was there any one particular thing that drove you to choose Kuiu and not the Sitka jacket?

Or vice versa if you bought the Blizzard Aerolite instead of the Burner?

Should be an interesting trade off. Probably the premier products from the top companies in the hunting clothing business space.

Skeeter

FNG
I needed a new winter coat and ( on a slightly drunken whim) decided to throw an extra $200 down and try this out.

the coat is legit and if it lasts 10yrs will be well worth it.

Obviously there are cheaper options for a similar warmth level. I doubt any of them compress as well as this does or offer waterproofing (necessary or not)

I am sure I look like a sucker to some (maybe I am…) but I think we have all spent more money on items less useful than a warm coat.
I’m curious how this jacket fits in size. Did you go up one size like a lot of Kuiu jackets, or is it cut big?

Buffalo0922

Lil-Rokslider
I had originally bought the super down pro in XL. The fit was just a little tight, and that’s when I sent a return request and fell for the burner in XXL.

I USUALLY WEAR XL - The burner in XXL fits like my XL in any other brand usually fit

Bo2103

FNG
I bought one. Hands down a must if you have a Kuiu collection already. Warmest item I ever wore and durability is there. Coat will last a life time if you’re not beating brush! Great investment.

The ILG guys are giving one away in 3 days. I'll happily take it if its free haha