Lapua announces new brass 300wm, PRC and. 284

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
Now if they'd just produce powder and primers, I'd be all set!

OP
T

tdot

WKR
I thought they already made 300wm, crazy if they didn’t being how popular it is. Wish they would jump on the 300wsm band wagon.
They made 300wm brass years ago, but I havent seen any in close to 10 years. I agree about the 300wsm, brass availability is the number 1 reason I've hesitated on that cartridge. If the ADG supply stays solid in Canada, I'll reconsider.

They previously spec’d win mag brass that was made for them by Norma but it was a long time ago.

This is good news!

Harvey_NW

WKR
No 300wsm but hey, 284win!!! So glad they're drop brass for caliber that hasn't been chambered in a factory rifle since I've been alive.. :rolleyes:

BigPrince

FNG
No 300wsm but hey, 284win!!! So glad they're drop brass for caliber that hasn't been chambered in a factory rifle since I've been alive.. :rolleyes:
I would like 300wsm also. 284win is #1 used F-class cartridge and heavily used there.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Lapua made 300WM brass in the past and then dropped the cartridge. Not really sure why, I have a lot of stories but, that's all they are.

BBob

WKR
Lapua made 300WM brass in the past and then dropped the cartridge. Not really sure why, I have a lot of stories but, that's all they are.
Way back it was a fairly common notion that the Lapua 300WM was actually subcontracted by Norma to Lapua specs. At the time Lapua did not make any of their own belted cases. 20 or so years ago there was a list of Lapua factory made and subcontracted brass. The 223 was supposedly subbed by IMI and was terrible as far as consistency. There were quite a few others that were subbed out as I recall.

Well, it's a pretty easy add for them when they've already been making 6.5x284 for a long time. I don't reckon there are many 6br or 6.5x47 factory rifles either but they sell a bunch of brass for both.

I'm not aware of any 0.540" rebated rim magnum bolt head cases they make so maybe that would be significantly more work to develop WSM cases?

300 WSM and 6 Dasher would be on my Lapua wish list..

So has anyone heard updates on 300 WM arrival dates? I had backordered some from grafs when this announcement was made. Would be nice to break in a new barrel while fire forming rather than break it in with old Norma brass and then fire form lapua after.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would like 300wsm also. 284win is #1 used F-class cartridge and heavily used there.
And that's a small sample size compared to the rest of the sport. Making brass for a few hundred shooters and ignoring thousands of other shooters is ridiculous. I don't think I've ever seen a rifle chambered in .284 for sale. Talk about Lapua catering to a niche market. The PRCs absolutely make sense considering their popularity.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So has anyone heard updates on 300 WM arrival dates? I had backordered some from grafs when this announcement was made. Would be nice to break in a new barrel while fire forming rather than break it in with old Norma brass and then fire form lapua after.
Don't hold your breath. When Lapua announced 300 Norma brass it took them almost two years before it became available for purchase.

Don't hold your breath. When Lapua announced 300 Norma brass it took them almost two years before it became available for purchase.

Yeah, i'm not letting it hold me up that's for sure. Barrel break-in is about done with some fresh nosler brass.

And that's a small sample size compared to the rest of the sport. Making brass for a few hundred shooters and ignoring thousands of other shooters is ridiculous. I don't think I've ever seen a rifle chambered in .284 for sale. Talk about Lapua catering to a niche market. The PRCs absolutely make sense considering their popularity.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm sure they know the market demand and associated costs of each better than us. They already make 6.5x284 so it should be an easy evolution. On the other hand, they make nothing based upon a rebated rim 404 Jeffrey case (WSM, SAUM, RUM, 26/28/30/33 nosler) so it would probably take some more doing to get off the ground. Peterson and ADG make a pile of different cases and for some reason they haven't found 300 WSM to be a priority.

I think you're underscoring the F-Class participation. 1 active F-Class shooter goes through more brass in a year than most 300wsm shooting hunters will probably use in a lifetime. I get that WSM is still very popular in competitions as well but i've never seen a bench rest 300 WSM rifle for sale either.

I would be happy to see lapua release WSM brass too!

B23

WKR
I would be happy to see lapua release WSM brass too!
I would love to see Lapua make WSM brass and I think there are MANY others that would too! Hopefully, with any luck at all Lapua will hear the cry for WSM brass and start making it as well.

So, anyone tested the 300wm brass yet? I have some at home but don’t think I’ll get to it this year. I wasn’t terribly impressed with neck thickness consistency. It’s not bad by any means but not as good as other lapua cases I’ve used.