Larry Gougerfield

I have plenty of primers and have powder. What I am floored at......is the complete lack of BULLETS. I've never seen a shortage of bullets. It's always been primers. Then powder. Never seen loaded ammo (other than .22LR) be scarce. Really never envision bullets being impossible to find. Even "odd" stuff.....338" 200 Accubonds. Who is heading out the range for an afternoon plinking with their 338 Win Mag? That diameter bullet should be on every shelf. Followed by .257....who shoots a 25-06 anymore? Those are gone too.
I've got a .340 Weatherby that I'm taking on a moose hunt this fall. I worked up a great load with 225 grain TTSXs. My buddy that is going with me just traded his .300 for a .340 thinking that it would be cool to share ammo in a pinch.

I went to Sportsman's thinking the same way, that nobody would be hoarding .338 projectiles, to get a box or two for my hunting partner to sight in and practice with. There were 3 boxes on the shelf and some .375 diameter stuff. I watched a guy pick them all up and casually chuckle to his pal about reselling them for a profit.

I went a couple of miles away to Scheel's and that same pecker head was snatching up everything on the shelves but the A-Tips. I wanted to choke him.

Nosler 7saum brass was in stock and $62 for 25 pieces 2 weeks ago. Now it’s in stock and $85 for 25 pieces.
I guess if ones goal is to keep product on shelves $3.40 each for Nosler brass should do it.

Granted if they were 300prc they’d likely still sell at that price.
Interesting times we’re in.

OP
J
But a handful of the posters on the prior pages cite increased production costs....those batches of brass were two different lots...produced just hours apart and China tripled the prices of tin and copper in those few hours right?

sorry Bro

CorbLand

WKR
But a handful of the posters on the prior pages cite increased production costs....those batches of brass were two different lots...produced just hours apart and China tripled the prices of tin and copper in those few hours right?

sorry Bro
A lot of places will average the price out over a time period and adjust pricing once or twice a year. Could you imagine if they changed pricing everyday based on the hundreds of factors that went into cost of production?

And honestly, yes prices could have tripled in that short period of time. Contracts for materials are written years in advance. If I ordered 100 pounds of powder in January 2019, delivered January 2020 the prices are generally agreed upon in advance. If I sold all 100 pounds in March 2020 and ordered more, the pricing could and probably would see a major increase.

Call it what you want...this is what happens in a free market. This happens in every facet of a market. Are people price gouging on housing? **** me, you think that pricing has increased on ammo.

Is it price gouging when I fuel increases because a tanker blew up? Fuel prices went up 10% the day Biden announced the stay on drilling on Federal lands. Hell, nearly a year ago, Refineries were getting paid to take oil.

Last edited:
It has NOTHING to do with production costs. Sure their may be a 3-5% increase due to production cost inflation, that I wont deny nor disagree with. But not 10, 20-50% increases. Heck both my local gun stores, Academy, and Wal-Mart still sale everything thing they get in for MSRP-pre-COVID pricing. So, there is no way they are getting a better deal than the Big Box Stores or Midway. Or even my little gun stores whose purchase orders are in quantities 10-1000x's less in dollar figures/amounts to these bigger retailers. They still are able to sale at normal pre-covid prices. Once again........fooled by the media.

This is simply, price gouging comparable to gas stations jacking up the price of fuel when a hurricane is inbound to the coastal states.

CorbLand

WKR
It has NOTHING to do with production costs. Sure their may be a 3-5% increase due to production cost inflation, that I wont deny nor disagree with. But not 10, 20-50% increases. Heck both my local gun stores, Academy, and Wal-Mart still sale everything thing they get in for MSRP-pre-COVID pricing. So, there is no way they are getting a better deal than the Big Box Stores or Midway. Or even my little gun stores whose purchase orders are in quantities 10-1000x's less in dollar figures/amounts to these bigger retailers. They still are able to sale at normal pre-covid prices. Once again........fooled by the media.

This is simply, price gouging comparable to gas stations jacking up the price of fuel when a hurricane is inbound to the coastal states.
When in doubt, blame the media.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Some of you are getting a lesson in market dynamics. Housing is up, double in some places in the past ten years. Are they gouging? Nope. Supply and demand. Raw materials are up. You think ammo and components are bad, you should see lumber prices over the past year. Truck prices have quadrupled in the past 30 years, you gonna bitch about that too? Literally EVERYTHING has gone up in price. No one is making you buy anything, no one. You don't like the fact that other people are spending their money and paying those prices? Oh well. You need to find a support group. Supply and demand... maybe one day it'll sink in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jodorouse

FNG
I think we should just put a price cap on everything. That will solve it!

Or we could have a draw system where everyone puts in money. If you draw you pay your money and you get your ammo or components. If you don’t, a small portion gets kept by the ammo company and you get a point for the next round...

What do you think? It works like a charm for big game tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
Meh... I have shooting bow to fall back on. When was the last time you saw a run on arrow shafts and field tips. Plus I don’t need to invest $5-$10k in reloading inventory and capital investments.

I like all the things.

47E732EF-ECD0-49B3-BB8F-85030A757E74.jpeg9259937C-4FCE-4853-895B-55CF67278B1E.jpeg

Rob5589

WKR

sorry Bro
Look at it this way; if you need to sell 20 items a month to pay bills and turn a profit but, can only obtain 10 items, you either raise prices or lose money. No business it going to take a loss just to be nice.

Pro953

WKR
For those saying operating costs are not going up. We pulled containers into the port at about 2600 each two months ago. This week we were quoted 9500. Think that is not going to be passed along to wholesalers which will mark it up followed by retail that will mark it up yet again.

Trucking is tight and going up. Hell boxes are very hard to get right now as major company’s like Amazon are chewing up so much of the corrugated supply which means we are paying more for boxes.

I know it’s fun to point fingers, and I get that it sucks to pay more, but it does not always mean the retailer is trying to screw you.

JRMiller

WKR
I dont see any of this as gouging. Its their business, and they need to take in money to pay the bills.
When what they sell is scarce to non-exsistant, they must raise prices to stay in business.
When you get some yokel on gunbroker selling 223 for a $ a piece, that i dont like, though they have that right.
The only two shops in my entire county that carry reloading supplies are hurting bad, they are not reaping profits form this crunch.
One has just boarded up, the other i can tell will be shortly.
And like Harry,m theyre good people just trying to stay in business.
If the ONLY box of primers in a week comes in, they simply have to mark it up to make up for the 20 boxes they would have needed to sell to stay in business that they didn't get.
I will keep supporting Larry, he has done a lot for us.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
I bought from midway 2 boxes of 308 brass 50pcs ea, I ordered while they allowed backorder for overdue in stock. Shortly after I ordered my 2 boxes they stopped the back order and the price jumped about 30 bucks for the next batch. Before my brass even came in or shipped the same order would be $60 more the next time.

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
I think the market should be fixed. The government should set prices on raw material, labor, transportation, per product and put limits on what we can buy that way everything stays constant, that way we can all have the same prices! Enough of this free market crap. Eh comrades!?

WCB

WKR
I have plenty of primers and have powder. What I am floored at......is the complete lack of BULLETS. I've never seen a shortage of bullets. It's always been primers. Then powder. Never seen loaded ammo (other than .22LR) be scarce. Really never envision bullets being impossible to find. Even "odd" stuff.....338" 200 Accubonds. Who is heading out the range for an afternoon plinking with their 338 Win Mag? That diameter bullet should be on every shelf. Followed by .257....who shoots a 25-06 anymore? Those are gone too.
Bullets are the same as the primer issues. They are going into loaded ammunition or lower volume products like .338 cal bullets are being pushed aside on the production line to get .30 cal bullets out....etc. Some of those projectiles or diameters all together may be only built once or twice a year. Some of these items in normal times could take months to get back in inventory if bought up...you just never noticed because they aren't bought in high volume.

CorbLand

WKR
I bought from midway 2 boxes of 308 brass 50pcs ea, I ordered while they allowed backorder for overdue in stock. Shortly after I ordered my 2 boxes they stopped the back order and the price jumped about 30 bucks for the next batch. Before my brass even came in or shipped the same order would be $60 more the next time.
So you essentially signed a contract to purchase the brass at an agreed upon price. After that market forces have caused an increase in price but because a price was agreed upon in advance, it was honored. Its almost as if you did what business do but they do it years in advance.

Such an odd concept.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
So you essentially signed a contract to purchase the brass at an agreed upon price. After that market forces have caused an increase in price but because a price was agreed upon in advance, it was honored. Its almost as if you did what business do but they do it years in advance.

Such an odd concept.
I was just relaying the facts relevant to the discussion. The brass i purchased increased by 30 bucks the day after I bought it. Not sure what your getting at.