Late season rifle AZ Outfitter recommendations

Rooster46

FNG
Well, I was lucky enough to have drawn an AZ late rifle tag. Unluckily the only year I will be gone the 6 months leading up to the hunt dates. I’m looking for any opinions, recommendations, and experiences with any guides for this type of hunt.

I am looking for a guide that is going to push hard and go the distance. Im in shape and very experienced in the backcountry. I’m looking for an outfitter that will put in the scouting. I’m not looking for a fancy camp or being in a side by side riding around. I just want a hard working guide with experience. I will have a group of friends with me that can pack a bull out from hell and back.

Unit 27 is where I’m looking for reference.

Thank you for any recommendations.

fmyth

WKR
Sonny Tapia of Dream Mountain Outfitters. I havn't hunted with him. I met him while hiking in the unit. He was trying to help an injured hiker off of Mount Baldy. I stopped and used my first aid kit to bandage her ankle up. Sonny and his friend were scouting and had stopped on the trail to help the injured hiker. They offered to take her off the mountain on one of their horses but she was scared of horses. Might be worth checking him out.

OP
R

Rooster46

FNG
Sonny Tapia of Dream Mountain Outfitters. I havn't hunted with him. I met him while hiking in the unit. He was trying to help an injured hiker off of Mount Baldy. I stopped and used my first aid kit to bandage her ankle up. Sonny and his friend were scouting and had stopped on the trail to help the injured hiker. They offered to take her off the mountain on one of their horses but she was scared of horses. Might be worth checking him out.
Thank you, I will be looking them up!

While A3 is well known for their ability to get their clients on awesome game, they are equally well known for less than friendly behavior to other hunters and their gear (including vehicles) in the field.

OP
R

Rooster46

FNG
While A3 is well known for their ability to get their clients on awesome game, they are equally well known for less than friendly behavior to other hunters and their gear (including vehicles) in the field.
Personal experience?

pirogue

WKR
Bingo! Couple years ago, I drew a Strip archery deer tag. The tough to get tag that is in August and you normally hunt water catchments. Hunted the same water for 5 or 6 days, that is in a blind set up about 30 yards from the catchment. EVERY day between 8:00 and 8:15, an A3 guy in a red Dodge pickup would drive right by my truck(1/4mile away), and drive right up to the cameras on the water. TOTAL DISREGARD of ethics and politeness. Some people posts they wouldn’t use A3 if they were free. I know why.

Reactions: WRO

Rmdykeman

FNG
Bingo! Couple years ago, I drew a Strip archery deer tag. The tough to get tag that is in August and you normally hunt water catchments. Hunted the same water for 5 or 6 days, that is in a blind set up about 30 yards from the catchment. EVERY day between 8:00 and 8:15, an A3 guy in a red Dodge pickup would drive right by my truck(1/4mile away), and drive right up to the cameras on the water. TOTAL DISREGARD of ethics and politeness. Some people posts they wouldn’t use A3 if they were free. I know why.
Hey Danny! I remember that week of hunting. I hope you and the family are doing well.

To the OP, would love to chat with ya!! I’ve got some fantastic guides over there.

-Bob Dykeman
Shadow Valley Outfitters

WRO

WKR
27 - Jeff Lester with Hunt Hard outfitters, or Keith williams with arizona pro outfitters.

A3 is a roll of the dice, they hire a lot of unqualified help. I’ve had 2 buddies who’ve had complete shit show hunts with them.

Last edited:

bohntr

WKR
Well, I was lucky enough to have drawn an AZ late rifle tag. Unluckily the only year I will be gone the 6 months leading up to the hunt dates. I’m looking for any opinions, recommendations, and experiences with any guides for this type of hunt.

I am looking for a guide that is going to push hard and go the distance. Im in shape and very experienced in the backcountry. I’m looking for an outfitter that will put in the scouting. I’m not looking for a fancy camp or being in a side by side riding around. I just want a hard working guide with experience. I will have a group of friends with me that can pack a bull out from hell and back.

Unit 27 is where I’m looking for reference.

Thank you for any recommendations.
I live year round in the White Mountains…..if I had to pick a guide for 27 I’d pick one of the Hamblins from Eager. Willie would be my first choice, but all of them know those elk and their habits.

OP
R

Rooster46

FNG
Just when I thought I had it dialed down. I got my work cut out for me. Thank you all for the information.

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Just when I thought I had it dialed down. I got my work cut out for me. Thank you all for the information.
I'm from the area as well and as bohntr said, Willie Hamblin knows his stuff and goes hard, he works for Premium Hunts PM in bound.

WRO

WKR
aa02def4d9622b404eae204d8532d1ca.jpg

81b79c309cb55f0b718ea02a53eb9391.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk