Leer Camper Cap Door Shifted

treillw

WKR
I have a camper cap on my old truck. It's worked great for years. Recently, I can't get the main glass door above the tailgate to close properly. The door seems to be shifted towards the driver's side.

I can't find any good videos online to fix it. Seems to be some small screws on the hinge that may be able to be loosened and then the door can be shifted?

I also guess it's possible that the clamps are coming loose and the shell is shifting.

Anyone have this happen and fix it before?

Thanks!

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
the first thing I would check are the clamps that hold the shell to the truck bed. Even If they are tight, they could have shifted forward or back, or side to side Causing the whole shell to be out of line. loosen them all up, measure and realign everything, then tighten back down and see how the door closes

What he said. Loosen it all up, see if you find the spot it likes to close again, and tighten it all up again.

Make sure it's doing it all the time, even when parked on flat and level ground. Mine will bind when parked off angle or uneven ground.

hiker270

WKR
Have had several Leer fiberglass caps and have never had any issues with the rear door. Twice over the years have taken the truck back to Leer because the cap had shifted slightly even though the clamps were tight. Unless you bought the cap used take it back to where you purchased it and have them take a look.

Stalker69

WKR
So if you look at the top hinge, in the center of that hinge there may be a rivet or a screw. Some times those fall out or get sheerd off. Some have them on both ends of the hinge, but those are what keeps the door centered. When they are not there, the door can move right and left. With the door all way up, you should be able to tap the door with your hand and return it to center, and replace the rivet ( normally an 1/8 inch rivet) or a 1/4 inch head 1/2 long sheet metal screw. If it’s in the center, there will be a cut out in the door part of the hing to allow the door to open and close. Let me know if this works, but I am sure that’s your issue.

So if you look at the top hinge, in the center of that hinge there may be a rivet or a screw. Some times those fall out or get sheerd off. Some have them on both ends of the hinge, but those are what keeps the door centered. When they are not there, the door can move right and left. With the door all way up, you should be able to tap the door with your hand and return it to center, and replace the rivet ( normally an 1/8 inch rivet) or a 1/4 inch head 1/2 long sheet metal screw. If it’s in the center, there will be a cut out in the door part of the hing to allow the door to open and close. Let me know if this works, but I am sure that’s your issue.
This

I had a Leer spread out at the base after a decade of use (around 200,000 miles) on a Nissan Titan. Door wouldn’t seal worth a dang. Leer replaced the shell on warranty re-using the windows and rear door.

My 8 year old Leer on the present F-150 looks like it is in early spread mode. Gaps are working widening around the sides of the rear door and frame. Clamps are always keep snug,

Stalker69

WKR
If the shell is spreading apart at the sides ( or one side ) You can take the clamps off, and put one hand up in the radius of the door and push out. While at the same time, pull in on the bottom. It will bend the aluminum frame back into square.

I had a shell put on this year by the sales company, shifted 2x. Once on the way to rokslide bear camp and one was another drive not on pavement. At bear camp I tightened the bolts as tight as I could get them with out snapping more than the 1 I did snap, didn't hold still. The second time I called the company and said you fix it, all they did was drill a hole in the farthest back and on each side and bolted to the bed rail and re tightened clamps.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
That was the issue. Thank you!

Finally a simple fix to an issue that didn't take me a week to remedy!! Had it as good as new in about two minutes, including mistakenly pulling out the Allen wrenches and finding a screw driver!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Cool, glad you got it !
Now I'm feeling right back at home again! After opening the door once or twice, it goes right back to being shifted again. I knew things were going too well!

Seems like one of the screws is stripped and no longer restricting the movement of the door. Guess I need to put a bigger screw in.

Stalker69

WKR
I take it you have a screw at each end of the hinge ? Is the screw you put in, still there ? You can try a " thicker" screw, but if you go longer it could hit the window frame or scratch it.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I take it you have a screw at each end of the hinge ? Is the screw you put in, still there ? You can try a " thicker" screw, but if you go longer it could hit the window frame or scratch it.
My cap has a small screw at each end of the hinge. It's all factory stuff. Somehow the threads failed on it that it started sliding I guess.