Leica Geovid Pro Technical Resource

HuntQuietly

Not associated with the Hunt Quietly organization
Interesting.

Regarding pro track, I literally don't think I've ever had a single result in all my testing that was even remotely close enough to consider it precise enough to even be moderately useful in the field.

I would be better off pulling out my phone and doing a straight line estimate using sat images than rely on the pro track feature. So weird that it seems to work perfectly for you (and presumably some others)

Leica certainly knows that my issues are not unique as multiple people have reported it (but again not sure if there is a diff between the 42s vs the 32s. )

HuntQuietly

If I was going to try and point out the positives - since I have a LOT of experience with Leica RF Binos having come through all the models up the chain - the rangefinders on these are WAY better than even the 3200.coms.

I was able to spot and then range a prairie dog at 1284 yards and then watch my wife hit it on the first round. If that range is off by as little as a couple yards that bullet doesn’t come close and there is no way the other models were nearly that precise. That’s approaching .gov terrapin-level range capabilities.

Disappointing that I’m essentially beta testing these (although to their credit both Leica and AB have been appreciative and helpful) but the key components I need for daily use is there. It would just be great if the product lived up to the hype.

1692140426211.jpeg

Sorry little off topic,
Hey everyone just got my geovid pro set up and on the app I notice that in the bottom of the screen it says the active profile is “los” but I have set it up under ballistics setting with my info am I missing something ?

Attachments

• IMG_1103.jpeg
    IMG_1103.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 12

HuntQuietly

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking - but I THINK if you connect the binos (make sure the little mini-bluetooth symbol at the bottom is blue) and then go to your gun profiles and pick the gun you want to use - it should go out of LOS mode and should show you the gun you just selected.

Let me know if I've totally misunderstood your question.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking - but I THINK if you connect the binos (make sure the little mini-bluetooth symbol at the bottom is blue) and then go to your gun profiles and pick the gun you want to use - it should go out of LOS mode and should show you the gun you just selected.

Let me know if I've totally misunderstood your question.
Thank you when I took the picture of the app my binos were put away meaning they were not connected

HuntQuietly

Right, be sure to connect them and then hit the gun profiles tab and pick a gun. That should change the active profile to a gun vs. LOS.

bpurtz

WKR
I'm in elk camp right now...

Spotted a shed 500 yards across a drainage - decided to try the Pro Track feature to mark the shed.

Pin drop ended up being a little over 100 yards to the right - did a little geometry - that's 10-11 degrees off.

Decided to do some more testing on various landmarks at 350, 550, and 1000 yards. Every pin drop is 10+ degrees off.

My 8x32 also suggest a recalibrate nearly every time I open the app.

Leica needs to fix this or rename the feature "Ball Park Track"

OP
M

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in elk camp right now...

Spotted a shed 500 yards across a drainage - decided to try the Pro Track feature to mark the shed.

Pin drop ended up being a little over 100 yards to the right - did a little geometry - that's 10-11 degrees off.

Decided to do some more testing on various landmarks at 350, 550, and 1000 yards. Every pin drop is 10+ degrees off.

My 8x32 also suggest a recalibrate nearly every time I open the app.

Leica needs to fix this or rename the feature "Ball Park Track"
“Lost Track”
Comforting feeling isn’t it. 80% of the reason I preordered these with Doug was for this exact feature. Needless to say I’m disappointed. The other 19% has disappointed as well. Hard to read display, slow to wake up, Bluetooth connection issues, poor manual, focus knob, etc. The 1% good is the combo in a small package, however that doesn’t matter if I leave them at home. For reference I have the Geovid 2400, ultravid 10x42, ultravid 7x42, ultravid 8x20, 10x42 Magnus, and APO Televid 82. They are all impressive and examples of quality. The Geovid Pro not so much. Leicas marketing department should be ashamed. They have the ability to make this right but will they? What will the excuses be at the Leica booth on the trade show circuit? Boyd?

bpurtz

WKR
So this is a little puzzling to me...

Not many elk where I'm hunting so I've been messing around with the track feature...

I used the Google Map option to drop several remote pins and they were all very close to the actual landmark.

The Lat-Long coordinates for Google Maps were noticably different then the Basemap or GPS Tracker Coordinate options...

HuntQuietly

I found the lat/Lon to be totally different across all of those platforms and was more focused on the compass direction as compared to my iOS basic compass.

I pretty much gave up on the Pro Track type functionality and figured it was something tied up in the declination between all the various apps and sources. I ended up just focusing on the compass heading because I was using it for DoF inputs on the kestrel.

Got better but far from “solved” with the last update.

HuntQuietly

Made it suck less.

(Sorry, I’m salty today)

Edit: in truth I DID see positive improvement on the line of sight/direction of fire error rates but didn’t see much in terms of the “look there, go there” functionality. That’s still broken af

Last edited:

HuntQuietly

I had an occasion to connect my Geovid pros today and it looked like it did another firmware update.

It happened so fast I may have missed it - did anyone else notice?

I haven’t had a chance to try anything out to see what it did but will be at the range practicing tomorrow (weather permitting) and will try some stuff.

HuntQuietly

Tried the pro track w Google maps briefly today. SSDD

bpurtz

WKR
My 10x42 Geovid Pros had a firmware update today so I tried the Pro Track on a landmark that was 848 yards away.

With the GPS Tracker option, the lat/long pin is 150 yards West of the landmark. arcTan(150/848) = 10.03 degree off.

With the Google Maps option, the lat/long pin is 75 yards West of the landmark. arcTan(75/848) = 5.05 degrees off.

Magnetic Declination where I'm located is 14.7 degrees.

Google claims: According to a Quora user, Google Maps is based on Earth's coordinates, including the North and South poles. The mobile versions of Google Maps and Google Earth automatically correct for magnetic declination and always show True North.

Screenshot_20240105_143744_onX Hunt.jpg

I'd really be curious if somebody in Wisconsin, Illinois, Western Tennessee, or Mississippi (basically near 0 magnetic declination) that has a Geovid Pro could mark a landmark location (like a building) with both the GPS Tracker & Google Maps. Then manually plug the lat/long coordinates to mark and then measure the distance between the pin and the actual landmark (the line ruler on OnX works pretty good)

<><
So I went through a longer calibration procedure and maybe this solved the remote pin error...

I ranged a landmark at 1250 yards - the pin was only off 50 yards which is about 2 degrees. Fingers crossed that the firmware update and calibration improved the ProTrack feature.

Last edited:

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
Need to review this whole thread but my 8x32's arrived today.

I setup a quick profile, and set the bino to providing the Ballistic Curve.

I when I range down the neighborhood it gives me "SPd".

What's that mean?

The documentation really blows...