Leupold, vortex, nightforce, or Swarovski

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sorry to ask another opinion question. Which would you recommend?
1. Leupold VX-5 HD
2. Vortex Viper PST gen 2
3. NightForce SHV
4. Swarovski Z5

Why do put like your pick? What do dislike about the others?
Want to stay under about $1500

Kurts86

WKR
The Nightforce is the best option if you can live with the weight just due to reliability.

The Z5 has the best glass quality and is the lightest but is rather fragile.

The VX5 has the best turret with the lock and I like the Leupold illumination the best but it doesn’t track or hold zero like the Nightforce.

The PST is just a mid range target scope and not much else. It’s heavy but not reliable.

You can get into demo/blem Nightforce NXS or NX8 models right around $1500 and those are awesome values.

SDHNTR

WKR
Only one choice there. Nightforce. The rest might have good glass, but quite questionable reliability.

Only have experience with NF and leupold, no major issues with either. If you have desire to dial then I’d go with NF.

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
What do you want to do with this scope? So many options in each line.
Hunt. Maybe an elk hunt. Not looking at a true mountain rifle. Don’t want the heaviest I can get but don’t have to have the lightest either.

I actually really like the VX 5hd. I ran the 3-15 for several seasons. I wanted to update glass and went Nightforce. That being said there wasnt anything wrong with the VX-5 and for where I often hunt it was perfect.

SDHNTR

WKR
I actually really like the VX 5hd. I ran the 3-15 for several seasons. I wanted to update glass and went Nightforce. That being said there wasnt anything wrong with the VX-5 and for where I often hunt it was perfect.
I'd argue that probably wasn't actually an upgrade in glass at all. At best, a lateral move WRT glass, assuming you bought NXS or higher. But undoubtedly, that was a big upgrade in durability and reliability, which is much more important overall.

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
I'd argue that probably wasn't actually an upgrade in glass at all. At best, a lateral move WRT glass, assuming you bought NXS or higher. But undoubtedly, that was a big upgrade in durability and reliability, which is much more important overall.
I have vx freedom and vx 3. I am sure any of what I had listed would be an upgrade.

I went to the NX8 4-32. I do think at the end of the day that is better scope all around than the Leupold VX-5. Kinda two completely different beast. I do like zero stops on Leupolds though lol.

The VX5HD is going to be the most forgiving in regards to eye box and eye relief.

Not a fan of the NX8, the eye box is terrible and when hunting that's the last thing I want to worry about.

Can't go wrong with the NXS though, I didn't enjoy the glass much and the dials on the SHV but that's apparent when you look at the price range.

The PSTII is a target scope at the end of the day.

VX5HD 3-15x44 would be my pick given your price is probably more around $1,200 .. don't forget about the Zeiss V4 4-16x44 as well.