Light waterproof hiker

Starting to look for some fall hiking boots. I don't think I need anything like kenetrek hardscrabbles. I'm looking for more of a Waterproof uninsulated mid hiker shoe. The terrain I'll be in has said to be not very extreme like some of the places you fellas get into. It's pretty open land like prairie.

The boots I'm Considering are listed below. If like some input on them. I've read reviews on them and the kenetrek bridger is seemingly hit and miss but the asolo and lowa seems pretty legit. Input please.

Lowa renegades
Asolo tpx
Kenetrek bridger ridge

LaHunter

WKR
I've got a pair of Lowa Renegades that I use for training hikes with my pack loaded to 70-75#. They have held up well. When these wear out, I will probably get another pair. Based on your intended use, I would think the Renegades would work well for you

Good Luck

OP
B
I've got a pair of Lowa Renegades that I use for training hikes with my pack loaded to 70-75#. They have held up well. When these wear out, I will probably get another pair. Based on your intended use, I would think the Renegades would work well for you

Good Luck

Waterproof? I know they are supposed to be but some advertise that and the leak like mad. Fit true to size? Break in well?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Zamberlan 230 Crossers. I put a couple hundred miles (at least) on mine last year and they've held up surprisingly well. You can get them for under a hundred bucks if you look around a little. If you aren't hitting tough country you'll be fine, that being said, I hunted the mtns of Utah and Idaho in mine and they did the job. My .02

wapitibob

WKR
Fit and felt great, no breakin required.
Used an entire bottle of Nikwax waterproof on them with no evidence it did a thing. They were soaked thru in minutes.
Failed the confirming water test when I got home. Took them to REI and got another pair, those leaked as well.
As with any boot, your mileage may vary..

for a lightweight hiker id suggest looking into the 8inch irish setter vaprtreks. they feel like im hunting in tennis shoes. ive had mine almost 2 years now and they are still going strong and im hunting hot dry conditions with lots of nasty lava rock that can be rough on boots. still waterproof as ever too i got caught in a storm last month riding back to camp on my quad an hour in the pouring rain with my boots exposed and my feet stayed dry. they have both solid colors and camo too and great reviews on amazon.

OP
B
Fit and felt great, no breakin required.
Used an entire bottle of Nikwax waterproof on them with no evidence it did a thing. They were soaked thru in minutes.
Failed the confirming water test when I got home. Took them to REI and got another pair, those leaked as well.
As with any boot, your mileage may vary..

Which shoe

LaHunter

WKR
Can't really comment on the Renegades being waterproof. I have never been in water with them. The sole of the Renegades has some stiffness to them, but nothing like the Tibets. I think mine fit pretty true to size and there isn't much break in with them.

Hope this helps.

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
I Know you didn't mention the Meindl Perfekt Hiker, but they are very similar in design.. The reason I like the Meindl over the lowa's was that they don't have as many seams or stitches. To me it was just less places for water to get in. I've been very happy with them. I'm on my 4th pair. First pair I just wore out. 2nd pair are just about wore out, 3rd pair still good. they are 3 years old now and I just got a new pair this week that have not touched dirt yet.. The main thing is to get a boot that fits "YOUR" foot good.. Heres a link to them. http://www.cabelas.com/product/foot...g-boots/_/N-1101188/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104104980

I bought a pair of the lowa renegades in August. The waterproofing lasted about 3 weeks, the rand started to peel back around the toe shortly after, and more recently the side stitching is giving out. They are soft leather and soft soled. I won't be buying another pair. I tried the vaportreks also that were mentioned above. My girlfriend works at a redwing boot store so I could get a good deal on them. They felt like cheap POS boots, I couldn't make myself lime them. She confirmed that a number of buyers were disappointed in them. I tried the danner high grounds last season and while they fit/felt great, they too fell apart of in short order.

OP
B
I Know you didn't mention the Meindl Perfekt Hiker, but they are very similar in design.. The reason I like the Meindl over the lowa's was that they don't have as many seams or stitches. To me it was just less places for water to get in. I've been very happy with them. I'm on my 4th pair. First pair I just wore out. 2nd pair are just about wore out, 3rd pair still good. they are 3 years old now and I just got a new pair this week that have not touched dirt yet.. The main thing is to get a boot that fits "YOUR" foot good.. Heres a link to them. http://www.cabelas.com/product/foot...g-boots/_/N-1101188/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104104980

I actually forgot to list these in the original list. Ive tried them on at local cabelas. I liked them but they do need some break in

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Starting to look for some fall hiking boots. I don't think I need anything like kenetrek hardscrabbles. I'm looking for more of a Waterproof uninsulated mid hiker shoe. The terrain I'll be in has said to be not very extreme like some of the places you fellas get into. It's pretty open land like prairie.

The boots I'm Considering are listed below. If like some input on them. I've read reviews on them and the kenetrek bridger is seemingly hit and miss but the asolo and lowa seems pretty legit. Input please.

Lowa renegades
Asolo tpx
Kenetrek bridger ridge

Our beartooth mid's are definitely worth a look and would fit your needs. Also our bridger boot would be great. I have a pair of each as a well as some black lowa renegades. Its really hard to go wrong with any of them. Below is a picture of our Bridger boot

Matt

SCW-805_Brown.jpg

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
I tried the Lowa Renegades on and didn't like the way they fit my feet or how much stitching they had showing. I went with some Lowa Zephyrs and have been pretty happy with them for the type of boot you are looking at. I've heard a lot of good things about the Salomon Quest 4D boots as well.