Lightest camp shoe?

slatty

WKR
I have a pair of the skinners size L in granite grey that I will post for sale. PM me if interested. They are like new. The skinners website size guide says they're 10-11 men's shoe.

I'm very happy with the product but I need a smaller size. I had sized up one size as I wanted to put them over my socks for stalking. It turns out that wasn't necessary, they stretch a bit and I will just get true to size for me (I don't have wide feet). I walked around the house in them and used them on one unsuccessful whitetail stalk, and they were great for that.

I have vivobarefoot ultra shoes for camp shoes and crossing water. Little different than crocs but less clunky and heavy and they have a line loc lace and arent slip ons, plus i think they're eco friendly if that matters to anyone. They only weigh 5.8 oz for the pair

I have vivobarefoot ultra shoes for camp shoes and crossing water. Little different than crocs but less clunky and heavy and they have a line loc lace and arent slip ons, plus i think they're eco friendly if that matters to anyone. They only weigh 5.8 oz for the pair

I’ve looked into these and they seem nearly perfect, except they don’t seem to make them anymore and none of the old stock still out there is my size. Otherwise, I’d give them a try.

I’ve looked into these and they seem nearly perfect, except they don’t seem to make them anymore and none of the old stock still out there is my size. Otherwise, I’d give them a try.
Check revivo, its their newer site where they sell refurbished shoes. They got brand new styles and a bunch of old ones too at a discount, thats where i actually got mine. They looked brand new

Nimrod62

FNG
The lightest option other than no-camp-shoes is a pair of grocery produce bags. Put on a pair of dry socks when in camp, cover them with the bags, and then put your shoes/boots back on. Not the most comfortable, but not carrying an extra 1/2-1 pound and bulk of "camp shoes" can add comfort as well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The lightest option other than no-camp-shoes is a pair of grocery produce bags. Put on a pair of dry socks when in camp, cover them with the bags, and then put your shoes/boots back on. Not the most comfortable, but not carrying an extra 1/2-1 pound and bulk of "camp shoes" can add comfort as well.

this is what I do for fast/light trips & adventure races when wearing trail runners; feet are literally soaked all day from snow/fords/water flowing down trails/etc. I try to air my feet out a couple of times per day, including when landing in camp, then don dry sleep socks and if I need to take care of any chores, slip the bags over my dry socks and don my trail shoes

specifically I use Costco meat bags as they are tough!

But I'm planning for an upcoming sheep hunt where there is likely to be at least some fording involved (shallow fords I'll just press on with my boots/gaiters) and I'm going back and forth between lighter trail runners and a Croc type slip on

If I went with Crocs/Amoji, I'd definitely want ones with a back strap to better secure them

I'm guessing these would be in the 12-ish oz range for a pair?

I do like that they are well ventilated for lounging around camp, but it's generally not a problem to air your feet out either with nothing on

trail runners would be much more secure on fords and could simply be left on with multiple fords (I traverse just about any terrain a person could encounter in trail runners year round), but basically double the weight

New shoe enters the chat.

The vans trek slip on is 10oz for a pair and is essentially a tighter fitting lighter croc. Definitely looks interesting...

814301a3e45a12cf59b2c1e5efc58844.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
New shoe enters the chat.

The vans trek slip on is 10oz for a pair and is essentially a tighter fitting lighter croc. Definitely looks interesting...

814301a3e45a12cf59b2c1e5efc58844.png

Gotta love this ad: "Only 4 interest free payments of $13.75". Who would finance a pair of plastic slip on shoes? If a person needs financing for footwear perhaps a pair of "leisure shoes" is not an appropriate purchase?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
on Zappos it says 10 oz/ shoe; if you have a pair could you weigh them?

10 oz a pair sounds pretty good, 10 oz a shoe, I'd bring trail runners

slim9300

WKR
I’m open to ideas and I have tried quite a few options over the years. My New Balance Minimus Trail Shoes are 10.0 ounces (for both) in a size 12 and these appear to be even lighter. The link says 6.6 ounces but I don’t know what size. My pair has been going strong for over 10 years, and they have gotten a ton of use.

I have found nothing better for crossing water, walking on rocks, fishing, stalking, as an emergency shoe, wearing in camp, etc. They are truly like having a functional pair of tennis shoes and they won’t give you blisters if you need to walk a long distance in them. They also dry incredibly quickly and lace up tight. I have walked a few miles in them with a loaded pack in a pinch (I had multiple long water crossings and I didn’t want to swap back and forth). They are not ideal with heavy weight on your back but SO much better than Crocs.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
I’m curious if there’s an option that can double as a camp shoe and stalking shoe that is as light as possible...getting double duty out of a second pair of shoes if you’re packing them all the way in sure would be nice.

See my post above. Crocs are garbage for having a useful pair of UL shoes. I used them for years until I found my Minimus’ in 2010. I will not be going back.

I’m open to ideas and I have tried quite a few options over the years. My New Balance Minimus Trail Shoes are 10.0 ounces (for both) in a size 12 and these appear to be even lighter. The link says 6.6 ounces but I don’t know what size. My pair has been going strong for over 10 years, and they have gotten a ton of use.

I have found nothing better for crossing water, walking on rocks, fishing, stalking, as an emergency shoe, wearing in camp, etc. They are truly like having a functional pair of tennis shoes and they won’t give you blisters if you need to walk a long distance in them. They also dry incredibly quickly and lace up tight. I have walked a few miles in them with a loaded pack in a pinch (I had multiple long water crossings and I didn’t want to swap back and forth). They are not ideal with heavy weight on your back but SO much better than Crocs.

$115/pair?
IDK, the last Croc knock off I bought was made in the USA, cost less than $10, and only weighed 8 oz. They’re easy to slip on in the middle of the night for a quick pee, dry out in a NY second, and are still going strong after 4 years. $115 is a hard pill to swallow for camp shoes...are they made in the USA?

Spence14

WKR
Crocs..... bought my first pair for camp shoes on a backpacking trip. They are now worn at my house and all over town or while on the water too. My wife use to scoff with embarrassment..... she now owns a pair too!

slim9300

WKR
$115/pair?
IDK, the last Croc knock off I bought was made in the USA, cost less than $10, and only weighed 8 oz. They’re easy to slip on in the middle of the night for a quick pee, dry out in a NY second, and are still going strong after 4 years. $115 is a hard pill to swallow for camp shoes...are they made in the USA?

The reason is bought them initially was because I like to backpack into mountain lakes during the summer with my wife, and spend the day walking around fishing the edges but not having to leave the water. I did this in Crocs a handful of times and they shredded my feet (especially my toes). Crocs are simply not designed for walking on rocks/uneven surfaces for a prolonged period of time. If someone is seeking just a camp shoe, they are likely the best bet.

I have a pair of Rimrock Stalkers and after playing with them in 2019, I felt that my NB Minimus were better suited for stalking. When I went to Nevada on an backcountry archery Mule deer hunt that August, they got a TON of use and allowed me to be silent but more importantly place my feet accurately. I did a handful of stalks where I ended up more than 1/4 mile from my pack.

I think someone needs to determine what they are going to do with a UL pair of shoes. If I’m not crossing water, fishing, stalking bedded deer inside of 50 yards, etc., I’m not bringing a camp shoe personally. When I’m hunting I simply don’t have the need.

The picture below is a stalk that I did in Nevada on a good 4x4. I got to 20 yards and sat there waiting for him to stand for over 30 minutes because I could only see his neck and head. Then the wind ****** me and I nearly cried.

slim9300

WKR
I started the stalk (in boots of course) where the photo was taken and it was an 80 degree day. All in all it was a long day.

Attachments

• A2A30A8D-FFC6-4A9B-B01F-21E625EDBE51.jpeg
    A2A30A8D-FFC6-4A9B-B01F-21E625EDBE51.jpeg
    829.6 KB · Views: 149
The only time I bring, or really have a use/need for, camp shoes is on mountain hunts, which is my primary hunting. I rather hunt sheep and goats than anything else, and after wearing mountaineer boots all day, it’s really nice to get them off and slip on a pair of something light wt., and comfortable. I also like to have something in spike camp that’s quick and easy to slip on to go out and pee. Having them for water crossings is also a nice bonus.