Lightweight bag vs quilt

Husky10

Lil-Rokslider
Currently I have a Klymit 20 degree bag. It's great except it comes in at about 2.75lbs. I would like to find a lighter weight bag or quilt. Pretty sure it's between an enlightened equipment enigma quilt and a lighter bag at this point, but I can't find much for lighter bags. Any suggestions?? I would prefer to shave a decent amount of weight off thats why I'm looking at the quilt, but I would like to keep a bag for comfort purposes. I'm just not sure if I'm going to find a lightweight bag that will compete in terms of weight with the enigma for a similar price?? Thanks.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Currently I have a Klymit 20 degree bag. It's great except it comes in at about 2.75lbs. I would like to find a lighter weight bag or quilt. Pretty sure it's between an enlightened equipment enigma quilt and a lighter bag at this point, but I can't find much for lighter bags. Any suggestions?? I would prefer to shave a decent amount of weight off thats why I'm looking at the quilt, but I would like to keep a bag for comfort purposes. I'm just not sure if I'm going to find a lightweight bag that will compete in terms of weight with the enigma for a similar price?? Thanks.
For a similar price, no. But Western Mountaineering makes several bags that fit what you described. 20 deg and much lighter than 2.75 lbs. How tall are you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can drop a pound off, and it will be a legit 20 deg bag if you choose any of the WM bags. They are within a few ounces of my 20deg Revelation quilt, but with a more realistic temp rating and a full bag coverage. I know we all sound like broken records on here talking about WM bags, but they are the real deal.

OP
H

Husky10

Lil-Rokslider
Kinda figured WM would be the answer, but I didn't know if anyone else had a solution that would fit the bill. Thanks for the input

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 5'10"

Last edited:
20 Degrees is cold enough where I'd prefer a full bag with a hood. That said, the EE conundrum is basically a hoodless bag and could be a light and cheaper option. Just know that if you're using it near it's rated temp you're going to want a hooded puffy or other considerations to keep your noggin warm.

WM Alpinlite is my easy button option in a 20 degree bag. Nice and roomy so a guy can layer in it if needed to take it below 20 degrees too,

tlkaetz

WKR
I know fellow Roksliders are partial to WM, but Feathered Friends is a mighty fine bag. The FF Swallow is a great 20 degree bag and is lightweight.

ljalberta

WKR
You could also get an EE Conundrum. That is only a little heavier than the Enigma, but still fully zips up. I will say, I have had 3 EE Revelations, and I would recommend ordering a higher rating (10 or 20F) than you intend and go wide. Their ratings are quite generous compared to WM.

OP
H

Husky10

Lil-Rokslider
I see that REI is coming out with a Magma 15 bag that is rated to 16 degrees and is 28oz... that is lighter that the WM Aplinlite and FF Swallow 20. Am I missing something or is there something that I should be looking at that I'm not? The magma is $100-200 cheaper and FF and WM and is lighter than both with a lower rating. Just wondering if that's too good to be true? The magma 15 comes in at only a handful of ounces heavier than a 10 degree EE quilt too

ljalberta

WKR
No experience with that REI bag. But right off the bat it has 19% less down than the WM one. WM is quite conservative in their ratings compared to most other manufacturers using EN testing. I'd be skeptical that REI bag is warmer than the WM.

bsnedeker

WKR
No experience with that REI bag. But right off the bat it has 19% less down than the WM one. WM is quite conservative in their ratings compared to most other manufacturers using EN testing. I'd be skeptical that REI bag is warmer than the WM.

Also, WM has never taken a stand against the 2nd amendment...just sayin.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I see that REI is coming out with a Magma 15 bag that is rated to 16 degrees and is 28oz... that is lighter that the WM Aplinlite and FF Swallow 20. Am I missing something or is there something that I should be looking at that I'm not? The magma is $100-200 cheaper and FF and WM and is lighter than both with a lower rating. Just wondering if that's too good to be true? The magma 15 comes in at only a handful of ounces heavier than a 10 degree EE quilt too
I'd pay the extra money for the WM just for the no snag zipper

The Magma bags are nice and can be had for cheap. That said, the existing 10 degree model seems to compare pretty close to 20 degree WM bags for warmth. The 15 degree is probably somewhere between the 20 degree and 30 degree WM bags for warmth. They are pretty dang close to WM in warmth/weight.

It's up to you if a couple ounces, made in America, best in class zipper, overall quality, and lack of an anti-gun history is worth the $ premium to you. Magma 10 is an honest 20 degree bag at under 2 lbs and can be had for $260 right now.. That's a lot of bang for your buck.

I have owned several ultralight bags and several quilts. IMO and it may just be me, a quilt is definitely 7-8 ounces lighter, but for me I don’t like the time and fiddling it takes to close down a quilt when it gets really cold. If I were in the market for a ultralight bag I would go with a western mountaineering ultralige or a rei magma. Both come in around 1 pound 13 ounces for a regular length regular width vs 18 ounces for a 20 degree EE quilt, I think the quilt vs bag issue comes down to personal preference. What I do is use my western mountaineering summer lite 32 degree bag the first 2 weeks of season. It weighs 1 pound 4 ounces and is a super solid 32 degree bag. I’ve stayed warm with a base layer well below freezing in this bag. For later in the season and into November I switch to my western mountaineering ultralite bag at 1 pound 13 ounces. With a base layer it will take you easily into the sub 20 degree mark

mrgreen

WKR
Like most everyone here I use WM for my cold weather bag.

I tried a EE 0 quilt, and was upset when I got cold at 30f. Sold it, told the buyer I got cold. I never heard back from him so maybe it was just me.

Now I use a quilt (Nunatak Apex 35f) or a modified Woobie in warmer weather and my WM bag if it'll be near 30f or below. I'm willing to pay the weight/space penalty for synthetic in the warm and or wet.

Re; the Magma
I completely understand the hard feelings toward REI, but if you're a member you get 1 year to try and return anything you buy from them.

The difference between quilt and bag for me is comfort. I move around a lot and a mummy bag is too restrictive, I don’t sleep well. The quilt concept has been a lifesaver for me. That said, a quilt is not capable of being warmer than a bag. I have a down bag that is over 30 years old, they are an investment. I would choose a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends bag over any imported Rei, marmot or north face bag every day and twice on Sunday. EE makes some great stuff and I will likely order a down quilt from them this year as well.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I think the comfort of level of quilt surpasses that of any bag. Bag's are restrictive, with the quilt you can turn from side to side and not worry about twisting yourself into a pretzel. The quilt doesn't move as you turn underneath it. Definitely a tiny amount more work to connect the straps under your pad but that's non-issue in my opinion as it take a whole 10 seconds. My EE Enigma 20 degree quilt weighs 18.1 oz. Hard to beat the weight.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a quilt and a bag, no comparison the bag is warmer than the quilt setup. I's hard to beat the weight of a quilt, but not hard to beat the warmth of a quilt.