lightweight canvas hot tents

I see the snow trekker tents
look like a solid tent
no idea about their stoves

I have red cliff and u turn,, but just not big enough for me and want the lightweight canvas and short side walls like a snow trekker,, for colder climates...just looking to see what else is out their I may not have seen
tent and poles under 30lbs is ideal

any ideas or thoughts appreciated

llamas will be packing so lighter the better but stove tent combined weight can be around 50

Give the folks at Airframes Alaska a call. They're coming out with an updated Nunatak model, but may have some old styles in stock at a steep discount. The 10x10 is about 25 lbs for everything and sounds like the new model will be even lighter. Add a lightweight stove and you're still under 30 lbs. I can't say enough good about these tents for cold camping. I've used mine in January with temps -10 to 0 with a Mr Buddy rolling on low and it stayed 40-50 in the tent. Not a drop of condensation ever. My hunting partner that was up hunting moose a couple of weeks ago and stayed in mine bought one before he left to replace his wall tent. My hunting partner that was up two years ago did the same.

Davis Tent

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Check out our Go Tent. @Jordan Budd reviewed it last summer as well!

Rockchuck

WKR
I see the snow trekker tents
look like a solid tent
no idea about their stoves

I have red cliff and u turn,, but just not big enough for me and want the lightweight canvas and short side walls like a snow trekker,, for colder climates...just looking to see what else is out their I may not have seen
tent and poles under 30lbs is ideal

any ideas or thoughts appreciated

llamas will be packing so lighter the better but stove tent combined weight can be around 50
Wasatchcomm,

I went down this same rabbit hole a couple years ago and ended up with one of the larger snowtrekker models, a 10x15 outfitter. I couldn't find a lighter canvas tent with size/space they offer.

I recently sold mine as the new models they have done in collaboration with Wilderness Ridge Trail llamas are lighter still and the biggest thing in my mind is the move to a vertical stove pipe. The angled pipe was a bit fussy and was the only thing I didnt like.

The tie in floor is nice and reminds me of the shackleton tent floor option though slightly different. Those are cool tents too, but heavier than the snowtrekker options.

I plan to buy the 11.5x11.5 bundok model when available to replace the one I just sold.

One mod I am considering to appease the Mrs. Is to sew a stip of velcro in around the base of floor to fully seal out creepy crawlies for summer camping with the family.

Good luck in your search!

I would love to hear of anything lighter in canvas as well.

bmart2622

WKR
Wasatchcomm,

I went down this same rabbit hole a couple years ago and ended up with one of the larger snowtrekker models, a 10x15 outfitter. I couldn't find a lighter canvas tent with size/space they offer.

I recently sold mine as the new models they have done in collaboration with Wilderness Ridge Trail llamas are lighter still and the biggest thing in my mind is the move to a vertical stove pipe. The angled pipe was a bit fussy and was the only thing I didnt like.

The tie in floor is nice and reminds me of the shackleton tent floor option though slightly different. Those are cool tents too, but heavier than the snowtrekker options.

I plan to buy the 11.5x11.5 bundok model when available to replace the one I just sold.

One mod I am considering to appease the Mrs. Is to sew a stip of velcro in around the base of floor to fully seal out creepy crawlies for summer camping with the family.

Good luck in your search!

I would love to hear of anything lighter in canvas as well.
Do you have one of the Divide series tents?

Rockchuck

WKR
I don't own one yet, but have seen them in person and I am going to buy the bundok 11.5×11.5' once available. I felt that my 10x15' outfitter we had was larger than needed most of the time but the 9.5x9.5' divide series tent currently available will be too small for us. This line fixes the few gripes I had with my outfitter.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
I don't own one yet, but have seen them in person and I am going to buy the bundok 11.5×11.5' once available. I felt that my 10x15' outfitter we had was larger than needed most of the time but the 9.5x9.5' divide series tent currently available will be too small for us. This line fixes the few gripes I had with my outfitter.
Have you seen the biggest one in person, the Continental?

Rockchuck

WKR
Yes, I have. The continnential is a very large tent. Tons of headroom and all usable space. Also, It is actually lighter than my outfitter was. If you were always going to have a need for a big tent it will certainly do the trick.

I was temped by the continental since I can get one now, but am waiting for that mid-side bundok.

Another thing I forgot to mention that I see as an improvement is the poles/stays along the side. On my outfitter, I was setting up 3 different guylines and pole/stay combos on each of the side walls, while the divide series of all sizes reduces that to a single larger pole/stay/guyout per side. Saves some time and weight there too.

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
Yes, I have. The continnential is a very large tent. Tons of headroom and all usable space. Also, It is actually lighter than my outfitter was. If you were always going to have a need for a big tent it will certainly do the trick.

I was temped by the continental since I can get one now, but am waiting for that mid-side bundok.

Another thing I forgot to mention that I see as an improvement is the poles/stays along the side. On my putfitter, I was setting up 3 different guylines and pole/stay combos on each of the side walls, while the divide series of all sizes reduces that to a single larger pole/stay/guyout per side. Saves some time and weight there too.
Headroom wasnt an issue with the way the walls are? Could you fit 3 with a stove and cots and still cook inside?

Rockchuck

WKR
That should be easy to do in the continental, especially with low cots like alps readylite or other lower height offerings.

I have the 9.5x9.5 divide series tent and a Riley little amigo stove. It performed excellent in Montana this year. I went through a ton of tent stove combos before this and I truly feel that this fits all my needs for a hot tent setup. I pack it with llamas too.
Is it comfortable for two people with the Riley stove ?

nickstone

WKR
Wilderness Ridge tents appear to be well made. I was inquiring about the 9.5x9.5 tent until I found out it’s 2.5x the cost of the Davis Go tent.
I looked at the Go Tent too and really liked a lot of stuff about it especially the price, but the poles alone weigh almost as much as the entire Mountain Den setup. The poles for the Mountain Den are specifically made shorter to fit into panniers instead of having to top pack them. The longest pole is only 20" vs 3'5" on the Davis. I'm cheap and was steering away from the Mountain Den for a while because of the price, but this spring I went to an event and saw the Divide tents set up along with ton of other styles and manufactures tents. There was no rain or snow, but I felt the Divide tents performed the best in the winds. I purchased one at that time.
Is it comfortable for two people with the Riley stove ?
I was only solo in it, but I think you would be totally fine with 2 people. I'm at home this weekend waiting for a baby llama to show up, but if make it out next weekend to hunt I'll take pics for you of the interior with gear in it. If there's anything else specific you'd like to see on it just let me know.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I've done cold camps in winter, but the only heated tent I ever used was a 10X12 canvas wall tent. Very bulky and heavy, even cutting your own poles from spruce trees as I've done. Add steel poles, and you're talking some serious weight. Then you've got the weight of the stove to throw in.

Nylon tent material is pretty much out because of the risk of fire. Yeah, canvas isn't fireproof either, but it won't burst into flames like a petroleum-based material will do.

There are the Arctic Oven tents, which can be bought with a propane heater. Again, they're bulky and heavy, and propane raises the humidity in the tent.

Unless you're talking pack horses, or a football team of husky players, you might want to reconsider the "pack" part of your plans. Me, I'd stick with the canvas wall tent, and haul it in by snowmachine or ATV.

I don’t have pack horses or Lammas yet so I can’t justify the cost since I can throw my Davis Go tent on my UTV. Would love to see some pictures as there isn’t much first hand reviews out there.

OP
wasatchcomm
just to update I purchased a snow trekker made Wilderness trail ridge llamas designed tent 11x11.
I picked it up yesterday
paired it with a little amigo stove
I can honestly say having it in my hands one of my llamas can carry the tent and stove set up.
for what it is its very light,, I haven't set it up yet but will this morning and get the stove burned in as well
il update with some pics as well
Nickstone and Rockchuck and Beau made this a easy choice for me ,,,
thank you!

bhylton

WKR
I see you found a solution, but for anyone else who might search this thread in the future, give "reliable" tents a look. They are out of billings MT I think. I have a 10x10 canvas with 30in walls. It takes 2 poles.. one at the door and one in the center. Then it uses 4 small corner poles. I think the whole setup with poles is around 38lbs. They make an 8x8 as well