Lightweight rear rifle rest

BGnight

FNG
Couldn't one just use a gamebag pouch? I mean, it's got to be better than nothing. I want a rear support but can't justify the extra weight. And spending $125 on one seems ridiculous.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
A Gamechanger has infinitely more uses and is more stable than an old bag or sock with fill or beans in it.

Might not seem like it at first glance, but the bag is totally worth it.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I run weibad bags in comps and in the field. I use a mini fortune cookie with light fill for a field bag, works great and packable.

Couldn't one just use a gamebag pouch? I mean, it's got to be better than nothing. I want a rear support but can't justify the extra weight. And spending $125 on one seems ridiculous.
Not when you want to shoot consistently at long distance. Might seem stable through the scope but during recoil impulse it can/will squish down, squish to the side, etc etc causing a miss or wound. If you are serious about shooting well at, say, 500 and beyond from a bipod then a good rear bag is absolutely necessary for any kind of consistency.

BGnight

FNG
Not when you want to shoot consistently at long distance. Might seem stable through the scope but during recoil impulse it can/will squish down, squish to the side, etc etc causing a miss or wound. If you are serious about shooting well at, say, 500 and beyond from a bipod then a good rear bag is absolutely necessary for any kind of consistency.
I'm looking at shooting 500 max at range and 400 max in the field. Probably 300 in most cases. 400 if I have perfect set up and have practiced for it.
I was just playing with my game bag pouch in prone. Seems perfectly fine. I can rotate it for different heights too.
Any squish or twist in your rest would come well after the bullet is gone. At least that's what I would think would happen logically. I also think the earth is flat so maybe my physics are off. I don't see how it could possibly affect the shot. Most situations aren't going to allow for a perfect set up using a special bag anyway. Any rear rest is light years better than none and I would think with the difference in quality being negligible for the majority of shots.

Lawnboi

WKR
Go test the game bags or foam pad or bino harness on paper back to back with a shooting bag. That will tell you if it’s good enough for a 400 yard shot, which is way easier to mess up than is alluded to on the internet. 100 yards is all that’s needed. 10 shots breaking position each shot, every shot counts.

That’s what hunters should be doing, shooting their equipment that they will be carrying, in positions they will potentially be shooting in.

Hunters don’t generally do that though.

My game bags are always tucked away, on the bottom of my pack. I won’t use it if I have to dig.

Everything I’m carrying to hunt is extra weight, if I can carry a pound that makes a shot that much easier, it’s a no brainer to me.

I'm looking at shooting 500 max at range and 400 max in the field. Probably 300 in most cases. 400 if I have perfect set up and have practiced for it.
I was just playing with my game bag pouch in prone. Seems perfectly fine. I can rotate it for different heights too.
Any squish or twist in your rest would come well after the bullet is gone. At least that's what I would think would happen logically. I also think the earth is flat so maybe my physics are off. I don't see how it could possibly affect the shot. Most situations aren't going to allow for a perfect set up using a special bag anyway. Any rear rest is light years better than none and I would think with the difference in quality being negligible for the majority of shots.
You wouldn’t think it’s an issue but I can tell you for a fact a squishy bag will often cause a high miss. Recoil control is critical for repeatable accuracy. Definitely practice at 400 and see if it will work.

kickemall

WKR
I've got a mini wedge that's a little over 15 oz. and it has worked really well. Over on Snipers Hide they're selling a, "Taylor was here rear bag". I got one and like it a little better with my chasis gun so far but a little more use will tell. $52 bucks and mine weighed right at 18 oz.

Lawnboi

WKR
If tried multiple dedicated rear bags favorite as of now being a PURG rx. They work good when matched with the rifle on a flat range.

I’ll take the pint sized all day from field positions. For matches I stopped carrying a rear bag and just use half my schmedium.

woods89

WKR
I'm carrying a Pint sized Git lite gamechanger pretty much any time I'm going to shoot over 100 yds. Backpack hunt or not. They are very versatile, can be used as a rear bag, over a branch, over a tripod, and more. I almost always use it when practicing so it's kind of part of my system.
I do not use a bipod so I figure what weight I save not having one takes care of the bag.

Last edited:
Homies that need a particular rear bag, would generally be better to spend time on learning to shoot rather than purchasing a special bag.
Some of us homies need a good crutch while we’re learning! If a fancy bag helps cover up my mistakes then I’m all for it

Ucsdryder

WKR
I can't be the only one using my bino harness as a rear rest?
I’ve done the bino but I like access to them. I prefer my pack if I don’t have anything else, but I use the game bag method. I hike too far and too deep to carry around a bag just for shooting.

It’d take ten minutes to correct that.
Sign me up!

Still gonna be hard for me to give up my long range only mini. I shoot better and it’s very fast compared to fumbling with my binos harness, game bags, sweatshirt, etc (which have worked on a few deer, I’ll admit)