Looking for good cartridge and budget rifle for 14 y/o

xsn10s

WKR
I love the 7-08 idea. More umph than the 243, lower recoil than 308, 270, 0r 6.5prc, and it's not a gaymoor haha.
I'm somewhat biased against the 6.5 CM also. Not because it's a bad cartridge, just some of the zealots turned me off. But the reality is it mimics the 6.5 Swede ballistics, which are very good. My fire forming loads for my 260 AI mimic 6.5 Swede/ 6.5 CM ballistics. I just took that load out to 1356 yards this weekend with no issues.

xsn10s

WKR
This… seems too complicated for a 300yd deer rifle/cartridge for a 14year old.
Yup this has become way too complicated. And it wasn't necessary to be this difficult. I suggested just getting some reduced recoil 30-06 ammo,125 gr bullet going 2700 fps. And put on a Sims recoil pad, about 40 bucks. The recoil would be the same or less than many of the cartridges suggested on here. And it would kill whitetails out to 300 yards. But whatever, I'm done here.

Yup this has become way too complicated. And it wasn't necessary to be this difficult. I suggested just getting some reduced recoil 30-06 ammo,125 gr bullet going 2700 fps. And put on a Sims recoil pad, about 40 bucks. The recoil would be the same or less than many of the cartridges suggested on here. And it would kill whitetails out to 300 yards. But whatever, I'm done here.
🤔. That’s honestly not a bad suggestion. Then they can switch to heavier/hotter load as they grow. 30-06 is a very common cartridge and rifle on the shelf. Plus here in northern MN my go to deer rifle is a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 which shoots 123grs at 2300fps.

Your 30-06 suggestion will kill just fine. My only concern would be regularly finding the low recoil ammo.

xsn10s

WKR
🤔. That’s honestly not a bad suggestion. Then they can switch to heavier/hotter load as they grow. 30-06 is a very common cartridge and rifle on the shelf. Plus here in northern MN my go to deer rifle is a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 which shoots 123grs at 2300fps.

Your 30-06 suggestion will kill just fine. My only concern would be regularly finding the low recoil ammo.
It's available right now from midway.I honestly don't think he'll be shooting the reduced recoil ammo for long. This is because the "kid" is already hunting ducks with a 12GA 870. I'd start the training with a lot of dry firing to learn how to properly hold the rifle. Then from reduced recoil ammo move on to 150 gr soft points. Soft point 150 gr ammo is around 30 bucks on the cheap end and isn't that much hotter than 308 win ammo.

xsn10s

WKR
I'll also add for whitetails or deer there is nothing wrong with the 6mm cm, 6.5 cm. 7-08, or 308. For elk I'd probably want a 6.5 and up with biased toward the 7mm or 308. And though I've been impressed with the .223/5.56 threads on terminal ballistics with big game I'd still lean towards the heavier cartridge. Easy access to ammo? That goes to the 308 Win and 6.5 CM, in that order during the pandemic.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

For a 14 year-old? Nothing under a 30-06 has enough oomphy knock-down KE power to kill anything.

And you definitely need to put it in a Ruger American (because 'Murica) with a Lee-opold on top (because the gold ring is a sign of quality). Don't worry about which rings to get; they're all the same.

Reducing recoil is what has made kids these days soft.

And spotting shots is just for people who can't shoot half an MOA, all day long, if they do their part.
What about the finger of god 270? Will that work?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H

HappyHuntr

I mean, I have the best book blacktail property in the western hemisphere of the galaxy and i planted 38,000 old growth doug firs with my feet so any old rifle just wont cut it. Unless it is a 65 y/o m70 .270 win with a Lee-opold on top.

6.5 cm or 308, I went from 300 wsm to 308 a few years back and it has done everything I’ve needed it to do. Biggest reason I went to 308 was the fact that you could still get ammo even through the shortage.

Ruger American 6.5 Creed Model #16953. Weighs in at about 6 1/2 with the scope. It's the Predator model and comes with the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 for $600.00. I bought this for my son's first antelope hunt from Family Firearms online. It shot under 1 moa consistently with factory hunting ammo. He was super confident shooting this gun because it shoots super flat. If you sight it at 200yds and have him aim dead on for anything out to 300 he's going to hit the kill zone on a deer. The ammo assortment and availability for the 6.5 Creed is better than any of the calibers in the same recoil range. I hope this helps your young man!

Attachments

• Ruger American.jpeg
    Ruger American.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 8

Axel1939

FNG
Tough to beat a Ruger American I have a few of them. I’d wait for the gen 2 in 6mm creedmoor just because I think that cartridge is so cool and is readily available now. 243 6.5 creed 7mm-08 or 308 will all do what you’re asking.

Heavier bullet options.
A 270 has the worst bullet selection of anything mentioned in this thread. I do like the way you think wanting heavier bullets, but that still leaves the 270 lacking. And having a 14 year old kid, that’s fairly inexperienced shooting, I wouldn’t start him on neither a 270, nor a heavy 308 load. My biggest gripe with the 243 is the twist, and the 6creed addressed that. But the OP has a creed phobia so that’s out.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

But the OP has a creed phobia so that’s out.
How man times have we talked about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
H

HappyHuntr

You wanna hear about all the other things I don't like?! Personally i think 28 gauges are no very great choices. Does that make me a sub-gauge hater?

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Might be useful to the discussion on this topic- can someone educate the ignorant among us (me)?

6mm ARC vs 6.5cm vs. 6mm cm. Big picture pro/cons

Heck no. I'm getting so peer pressured I think I might actually buy a 6.5 creed.
Honest I reload and love the 7mm08, BUT the 6.5 is very similar and has way way more options for bullets in the shelf. If I was buying ammo the 6.5 is the route I would go. Plus there’s 10 6.5 rifle to 1 7mm08 on the rack. So I’d go 6.5.

The 270 is a great cartridge. It’s been around for 101 years and has been killing deer the whole time. In fact it was so popular because it was flat shooting. It just wasn’t designed for today’s heavy weight bullets. Which has stopped all that’s used it since 1923.

Rambling again.

Last edited: