Looking to buy a set of NL-Pures

RussDXT

WKR
So I’m looking to get a set of nl’s. I’m going to sell my razor hd 10-42’s.

I live and hunt in Colorado and Wyoming but also spend a week or so chasing white tails in the southeast. I also will likely be moving to the Carolinas in the next two years (though still coming West to hunt Antelope and Elk).

I’m torn between the 8 and the 10’s.

I have a set of Vortex UHD 18’s and a Cronus 85mm spotter that I will use as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last, I was going to price them through black ovis, S&S, and Camera land ny. Any other places to consider?

I usually like 8’s, but with the increased fov of the NL’s, I think getting those in 8 would just bring more foreground and sky into view. 10’s are never a mistake anyways.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and prefer the 8s for archery and hunting in the Midwest but prefer the 10s rifle hunting and when glassing of a tripod.

Siggy111

FNG
If all you do is bowhunt from a tree, go with 8’s. If heading west occasionally as well, get the 10’s. I had 10 EL’s and used them for everything, I stepped up to 12’s and now use them for everything. Went with 12’s b/c I frequent AK. I have no regrets.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to discuss this with you to assist you in deciding which is the correct option. Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000

Blue72

WKR
8’s!!!

because you already have other optics to fill long distance needs. I think you need an optic to maximize field of view and longer hand holding without shakes. Especially if your moving to the east coast that has more brush then open views

just my opinion

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
I’m second guessing myself and thinking the 8’s may be the way to go. Especially with the 18x uhd’s I have.

Buy 10's in the NL category of binocular for open cou try hunting, then a set of 8x32s for tighter cover hunting, both elk in the timber and whitetails, unless sitting where you have distant views of fields. The smaller 8's are great for hiking too.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
What would you recommend for the 8x32? Would the benefit be there for the premo glass? Or would something a bit less be alright due to the closer distance?

Siggy111

FNG
8’s are great in the woods. I’ve used 10’s for everything for years without a problem.

If all you do is bowhunt from a tree, go with 8’s. If heading west occasionally as well, get the 10’s. I had 10 EL’s and used them for everything, I stepped up to 12’s and now use them for everything. Went with 12’s b/c I frequent AK. I have no regrets.
Please share your experience with the 12's (handheld)?
Too much shake or not an issue?
I have been very interested in the NL 12's and this has been my only concern.
FOV of a 10 in 12 seems like a no brainer.

Siggy111

FNG
12’s can pick up the shakes. I use the headrest if running and gunning. I haven’t had much of a problem….others have. It’s a binoc you should try. I am not parting with mine anytime soon.

CM

WKR
I did this same exercise this spring. I went to the store fully intending to buy the 8s. I looked through both for quite some time at dusk and ended up walking away with 10s. The 8s were phenomenal, but the field of view is so wide with all of the NLs that I felt the 10s have most of the advantages of "regular" 8s, but were still 10s (if that makes any sense). I don't think you can go wrong. I think this is the definition of a "first world problem."

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
Do your 10’s freehand well? I have no issues with my razor 10’s but have never owned 8’s so I may just not know any better.

onetohunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 10's and have no problem with the shakes with them. They hold very well and i feel the balance of the way they fit in my hand helps with holding them a littles steadier.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
Seems like I see more people trying to trade 8x for 10x on the forum, if I didn’t like the 10’s I could probably trade out of them.