Looking to buy my first pistol...

NDGuy

WKR
I know one was a fairly compact glock and it was very difficult to shoot accurately
I would have told you a Glock but if you didn't like shooting it I would look at Smith and Wesson M&P, Sig Sauer P320/226, or a CZ SP-01 or their polymer series.

Don't mess with .40 go with a 9mm.

Revolvers are nice but you pay about double the price for ammo.

I'm paying $22/50 rounds for 10mm ammo right now, and it's on the shelf. It's a little more recoil than a 9mm but still fun to shoot, and you can take it into grizz country with more confidence.

These aren't normal times...

I bought my first pistol this year as well, a glock 19. I like the gun but I'll be adding something similar in 22lr to practice with.

fwafwow

WKR
I'm paying $22/50 rounds for 10mm ammo right now, and it's on the shelf. It's a little more recoil than a 9mm but still fun to shoot, and you can take it into grizz country with more confidence.

These aren't normal times...
Wow - that's a great price! I just did a quick online search and can't find anything for less than $0.70 per round.

OP
180splitg3
Thanks again guys - I'm going to a range tomorrow and am planning to rent and shoot a glock 17 (and or 19) and a sig p320. Anything specific I should be looking for when I shoot these? Is the sight picture completely different between different brands? It's been a few years since I shot a pistol. How about the safety - do the glocks not have a safety?

Thanks again guys - I'm going to a range tomorrow and am planning to rent and shoot a glock 17 (and or 19) and a sig p320. Anything specific I should be looking for when I shoot these? Is the sight picture completely different between different brands? It's been a few years since I shot a pistol. How about the safety - do the glocks not have a safety?

Biggest difference you will notice is the grip and grip angle between the two. Both are good guns. One will probably “point” better for you, meaning the natural point of aim will better align with your intended target without significant adjustment. I would say go with that one. Apart from feeling better, the difference between those two platforms are going to be negligible for a new shooter.

If your heart isn’t set on a semi auto then there is a lot to be said for a good quality revolver to learn with. Less mechanical complexity and a more simple manual of arms. Semis aren’t impossible to learn on but they require a bit more care and feeding IMO.

FWIW I have bounced between beretta, SiG, S&W and Glock in 30 years of pistol shooting. All have their advantages and issues. If I only owned one handgun, it would be a Glock 19. If I could have a second it would be a 22 lr. Either a ruger Mark 4 or a S&W 617 in 10-shot.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider

Glock doesn’t have an external safety, they do have a trigger safety though. It’s just the little tab that sticks out in the middle of the trigger, might as well not even be there. As for what you should look for. See which is more comfortable in your hands, what feels better to shoot, how you shoot it. Sig sights should be nicer, but I’d recommend upgrading to nite sights on the Glock anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
There is a good selection of quality striker fired semi autos on the market. Just get a gun that makes sense for what you want it to do. Bigger guns tend to shoot easier than compacts, but can cause issues if you want to conceal them. I own a bunch, but find myself carrying a Glock 48 everyday

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I have a browning buckmark in 22lr, an m&p shield in 9mm, and a Glock 20 in 10mm. You could buy all three of those guns for less than 1k all in and be set up for everything from squirrels to bears.

OP
180splitg3
So - I have not made it to the range yet but I did go to Cabelas to look around today. I asked to check out a Glock 17 or 19 and they pretty much laughed at me - said they haven't seen a Glock 17 since February. They only had a couple really small, concealable 9 mm guns - can't remember what models they were. They did have a S&W - m & p 40 cal that seemed nice but I would guess ammo is tougher to find - is this true? Any big differences between a 9mm and 40 cal other than the 40 being a slightly larger round? I'm guessing it kicks a bit more but I don't know. They said I could order a 9 mm but that there was a very slim chance of getting one anytime soon if I wanted one of the 9 mm glocks. I had no idea that it was so difficult to find a Glock 9mm! I generally hate Cabelas so maybe I just need to go elsewhere to look...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
So - I have not made it to the range yet but I did go to Cabelas to look around today. I asked to check out a Glock 17 or 19 and they pretty much laughed at me - said they haven't seen a Glock 17 since February. They only had a couple really small, concealable 9 mm guns - can't remember what models they were. They did have a S&W - m & p 40 cal that seemed nice but I would guess ammo is tougher to find - is this true? Any big differences between a 9mm and 40 cal other than the 40 being a slightly larger round? I'm guessing it kicks a bit more but I don't know. They said I could order a 9 mm but that there was a very slim chance of getting one anytime soon if I wanted one of the 9 mm glocks. I had no idea that it was so difficult to find a Glock 9mm! I generally hate Cabelas so maybe I just need to go elsewhere to look...

I’d hold off then, I thought there was a g19 in the classified adds here. I personally don’t like 40 caliber pistols, there’s a reason you can find them even during a shortage. Not that there’s anything inherently wrong with the 40 if that’s what you like, I enjoy the variety (during normal times) of available 9mm Ammo. I was just digging through Ammo boxes earlier today and I have at least 12 different types of hollow points and 3000 rounds of ~ 5 different types of ball Ammo.

My first pistol was a g17, still have it, a fish hill rtf2, sort of rare, I have 2 g19s, a standard gen 3 and a fish hill rtf2 which it fairly rare. I really want a gen5 or that g19x. I also have a g26 which is a great CC piece as well as a g43x and my wife has a g43. We like 9mm glocks, I wouldnt even consider buying anything but a Glock when it comes to plastic 9mms.

If I was going to get something other than a Glock, I’d get a sig 229 or 226.

Other than glocks and sigs, I personally have no interest in other 9mm platforms.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I forgot, I have that in my bugout bag as well, I guess I have 3 g19s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 15

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Here’s a g19/26 size comparison since I got up and started messing around with pistols, also a g20 for size reference.

Also just realized, what’s in that picture is going to cost me like 3500.00 in taxes if ******* Joe Biden gets his way...

.....good thing I lost them in a boating accident and that’s an old photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 19
OP
180splitg3
They did have a Glock p80 Gen 1 9mm - it was $680 - the guy told me it is similar to the Glock 17 but with zero extra features...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They did have a Glock p80 Gen 1 9mm - it was $680 - the guy told me it is similar to the Glock 17 but with zero extra features...

I wouldn’t buy a p80, at least not from a shop. The only advantage to those is that they have no serial# since they are sold as an 80% lower, I’m guessing if it’s in a shop, they have scribed a serial # into it so that defeats the purpose of having one. IMO, the p80 grip/frame is not as good as a stock Glock frame in any way.

OP
180splitg3
I did find a Glock 17 & 19 online for around $500 - I'm confused as to how they sell these online. Do they ship them to a point of sale or something and then have you fill out the documents? There are Gen 3, 4 & 5 - are there drastic differences between the different generations?