Lumbar pain/bruising

Lately I've made a few hikes with my pack (DT1) carrying somewhat heavy loads (115 lbs.) and not so heavy loads (50 lbs.) and have been coming home with a sore back. The area that is bothering me is in my lumbar region, but not over the spine, rather on both sides of my spine. When I carried the 115 lb load I actually had, what felt like, bruising in that area, and definitely red marks on either side of my spine. Prior to the last month of making some backpacking trips and having these issues, the last time I used the pack was last Oct. goat hunting. I didn't have these problems last year. I don't really know what's changed. My wt. hasn't changed, I believe that I'm loading the pack correctly (heaviest stuff right down the middle of my back, close to my back, and up high, so I'm only carrying lighter stuff in the bottom of the pack ie., quilt, pad, and 26 oz. shelter. Does anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, or what I can change to alleviate the problem?

what kind of stays? if they are aluminum you can bend them. Could just have to adjust torso length. All the issues with lumbar pain has mostly been related to the lumbar pad NOT SITTING FLUSH/SQUARED UP ON YOUR BACK. Either the top part is hitting or the bottom is hitting more than the other. Where as the pad need to put EVEN PRESSURE across the whole pad when against your back. The carbon stays are nice as far a weight goes. But I have come to realize I will take a few more ounces for a custom fit any day.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You probably want to call and get a new piece of foam for your lumbar pad.

It swaps out quickly and I bet that's the issue.

MattB

WKR
I had that same issue and the new foam fixed it. Think of the lumbar foam as a "wear part".

Ridgetop

FNG
Another thing you might check is if the belt loops on your pants aline with the sore spots, I have experienced this in the past with the doubled over part of the loops creating a pressure point.