'Magic bus' removed.

mwebs

WKR
Seems stupid to me, I am sure people will still try to hike to the same spot.. Also idiots are injured or die hiking to all sorts of places, guess we should remove those waterfalls, mountains, etc. I get there was a different demographic trying to get to the bus, but still...

Seems stupid to me

You’re clearly not up to speed on this disaster. It’s not that simple of a comparison. The type of person that makes a 40 mile round trip in an area with extremely fickle weather and a glacier-influenced river crossing to a waterfall or mountain is WAY different than the typical city-slicker hippie with no rain gear and a blue tarp for shelter that frequents this place. I doubt you can find a single feature in the US that has 10% of the emergency calls the stampede trail gets annually.

It’s pretty clear the troopers and National Guard along with their emergency response personnel finally reached a breaking point of putting their people in unnecessary danger.

It seems more stupid to me to tie up our wilderness rescue resources in a state that has a frequent and legit need for them on something this silly that can be removed. It’s unfortunate but necessary.

You’re clearly not up to speed on this disaster. It’s not that simple of a comparison. The type of person that makes a 40 mile round trip in an area with extremely fickle weather and a glacier-influenced river crossing to a waterfall or mountain is WAY different than the typical city-slicker hippie with no rain gear and a blue tarp for shelter that frequents this place. I doubt you can find a single feature in the US that has 10% of the emergency calls the stampede trail gets annually.

It’s pretty clear the troopers and National Guard along with their emergency response personnel finally reached a breaking point of putting their people in unnecessary danger.
Let alone the costs to rescue these people.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Glad I did the hike before the bus was taken away. It’s a bummer though, my wife wanted to do the hike and get her picture by the bus.

mwebs

WKR

It seems more stupid to me to tie up our wilderness rescue resources in a state that has a frequent and legit need for them on something this silly that can be removed. It’s unfortunate but necessary.

Yup I acknowledge there is a different kind of person hiking to the bus.

Htm84

WKR
Should of left it and stopped rescuing people. Get 2 birds stoned at once.
How did it get there?

in the 60s they were building a road (stampede trail) to a mine out in kantishna. The bus broke down and they used it as a shelter for the workers. When they stopped with the road construction they pulled all the bus/shelters out but this one had a broken axle so it was left behind. At least that’s what I recall anyway.

Was just in Denali a couple days ago....homeless people all over Anchorage, shit everywhere, nobody bats an eye...coupla white people die hiking to a bus, they call out the national guard... :ROFLMAO:

Lingling

FNG
Homeless schmoemless...if you really want to see Alaska get a hotel room in Anchorage or Fairbanks after dividends.

AZmark

WKR
Homeless schmoemless...if you really want to see Alaska get a hotel room in Anchorage or Fairbanks after dividends.

I've never been to the bus but I have spent many a night at the Best Western in Anchorage. Used to always go the the Alaskan Bush Co. much better than a broken down bus that some idiot died it and then got glorified in a movie.

Poser

WKR
Should of left it and stopped rescuing people. Get 2 birds stoned at once.

in the 60s they were building a road (stampede trail) to a mine out in kantishna. The bus broke down and they used it as a shelter for the workers. When they stopped with the road construction they pulled all the bus/shelters out but this one had a broken axle so it was left behind. At least that’s what I recall anyway.

That sounds right. From what I recall from Krackhauer’s book (been 25+ years), he tells the backstory of how it got there.

Speaking of which, I’m assuming the movie was actually filmed on location at the bus?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I find the stories our society chooses to canonize to be reflective of it's disconnect with functional life. The contrast between Dick Proenneke and Chris McCandless, and which one made it into pop culture, is a prime example.

Little would be lost if Chris was forgotten, so the only down side I see to removing the bus is now it will probably end up on display somewhere every yuppie can easily visit and pay homage to one of their own.