Masculinity and Caliber Choice

As a newish hunter, I’ve been talking to many folks regarding calibers, rifles, etc. It seems there is a pretty substantial amount of hunters who make fun of people who use “wimpy” calibers and try to justify using a 338 Win Mag on southern white tails.

Shouldn’t a person use the strongest caliber they can shoot the best? A .243 in the right spot is miles better than a 300WM in the dirt ya know?

I’ve even been told the .270, .308, and even the .30-06 isn’t good enough and a magnum is needed 🤣. Doesn’t make sense.

Thoughts on why some people seem to think their masculinity coincides with their caliber choice?

As a newish hunter, I’ve been talking to many folks regarding calibers, rifles, etc. It seems there is a pretty substantial amount of hunters who make fun of people who use “wimpy” calibers and try to justify using a 338 Win Mag on southern white tails.

Shouldn’t a person use the strongest caliber they can shoot the best? A .243 in the right spot is miles better than a 300WM in the dirt ya know?

I’ve even been told the .270, .308, and even the .30-06 isn’t good enough and a magnum is needed 🤣. Doesn’t make sense.

Thoughts on why some people seem to think their masculinity coincides with their caliber choice?
It’s the same in Alaska. It’s the same with a .380 vs anything else for EDC. Yet, I’ve never found anyone willing to let me shoot them with my “girl” gun at 30yds.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think most hunters realize how much more accurately they would shoot a lighter cartridge. That may not apply to very consistent shooters, but average hunters are not consistent enough with recoil management shot to shot. I'm realizing that even going from a .308 to 6.5. makes me want to go even lower. And I actually feel the opposite. I feel manly trusting my marksmanship enough to carry a smaller caliber and knowing that I have practiced enough to know what shots I can make. I feel like whitetail hunters that carry a 300 win mag are assuming they won't hit where they are aiming.

Buzby

WKR
Wait til “those guys” read the .223 thread! Lots of “wimps” stacking bodies over there.

Best thing to do with those guys is out hunt them and show them up!

I’ve never understood the “need” magnums for deer. Or people tying their masculinity to them. A good portion of those guys I’ve met weren’t great hunters. Some were.

If someone is highly experienced, proficient, and shots a magnum well, why not? The best shooter I know shots a 28 Nosler and the second best shooter I know shots a 300 RUM. Is it ego that they shot those cartridges? Absolutely not. I’d trust my life to either of them having to make a 500-800 yard shot under pressure with those “magnums”. They’ve perfected their shooting sequence on those rifles and prefer the added insurance “if” something goes wrong (e.g. wrong wind call).

Macintosh

WKR
99% of deer hunters dont need to make wind calls AT ALL. Regardless of whether using a big magnum to reduce wind error actually works, remember that MOST deer hunters are hunting whitetailed deer with 100% of shots less than 300 yards, yet magnumitis is still a common disease.

Tmac

WKR
Ignorance and lack of proficiency.

Most hunters do not understand terminal ballistics. Then even fewer practice enough to place shots accurately to their max range in the field.

So Billybob hits that deer in the “boiler room” with a 243 or 270 and it runs off never to be seen again. Blames the tool, and up guns to a 300 Mag. Promptly shoots an elk “right in the lungs”, it runs off, never recovered. Shops for a 338 Mag and denigrates any other hunter shooting a smaller cartridge. That the guy you are talking about?

To shut him up, set up a pie plate at 100 and see if he can hit it 3x3 off hand, then another at 300, 3x3 again any way he wants. If he claims he is good to 500 or what ever, let him try a couple there. But be prepared to bang those targets yourself with a puny 270 or 6mm or whatever.

But please don’t tell the box cars full of elk we've killed with 243’s, 25-06’s, 260’s and 270’s (223 not legal for elk here) they should not have died. Most with one shot. But mostly don’t tell my grandson his first buck he killed with one shot from 223 last season should not have died. The crazy kid plans to use it again this season. Must be using magic bullets…

You are on the right path. Select any reasonable bullet, employ it within its designed velocity window, place it properly, and stuff dies fast.

For some reason people have to attach their identity to their things these days. Maybe its because they have to post about it on social media so they need to look cool. People have lifted diesels that you could take the tow hitch off of and they would never even know. Built out Jeeps that never leave the pavement. Guys in tacticool gear. Same with rifles. Oh, and shiny new Toyotas with snorkels are my favorite. Yeah man, Im sure your going to cross a river with that thing you cant even handle getting dirty.

This thread is a joke, and I’m one who totally buys into the 223 on elk moose deer thread. As long as someone is making ethical decisions in the field, and putting in the time to fine tune their shooting, who cares what they shoot. Magnum shooters have no business throwing shade at the 223 guys and vice versa.