Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

Little inside, I know.

There's a member on another forum who often posts scope score sheets from that same gunsmith. I was curious if he is one and the same as "The Loon".

Gotcha. There was a different restaurant owner in town that got flack for posting black olives matter so I was confused...

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This Maven has been bouncing around and climbing up steep rough roads in the Jeep for the last 4 days. It’s also spent a lot of hours a day running around the mountains chasing deer. I’ve been hand carrying it or strapping to the outside of my pack. I have a mountain lion tag plus it’s being used as a backup rifle so it’s going everywhere I go while guiding.

It’s definitely seen some bumps along the way nothing too terrible other than last night… We were leaving a glassing spot after dark and my buddies nephew accidentally bumped the rifle and tipped it over off the long bipod onto rocky sand. The scope seemed fine, no damage to glass, just a scuff mark on the windage turret cap.

After hunting this morning I got down off the mountain and checked zero before heading home for Christmas stuff. It still shot a full magazine 3 round group dead center at 200 yards. No issues. Makes me feel really good about the delivery system as a whole.

IMG_6757.jpeg

We’ve located 6 bucks so far two of which he wanted to go after. I put him onto a really cool 3x3 this morning which didn’t work out. He also missed an absolute dandy 4x4 at 363 yards yesterday. A really cool buck with a bloodied up face and missing an eye, he was chasing a doe which kept him nice and distracted.

I got him set up onto my rifle for a follow up shot with the deer moving away. He had moved out to 571 before the kid was ready and I told him to not take the shot. The deer never really quit moving and I don’t trust him to make that shot.

17 degree downhill angle, a bit tricky, kneeling position but with solid front and rear rests. Practice your different field positions folks!

IMG_6204.jpeg

We will be back out on the 26th until the 31st if needed. The Maven will be along for some more field trials. Likely will be used to kill at this point if we kill a deer, as I don’t trust this kids rifle and scope.

This Maven has been bouncing around and climbing up steep rough roads in the Jeep for the last 4 days. It’s also spent a lot of hours a day running around the mountains chasing deer. I’ve been hand carrying it or strapping to the outside of my pack. I have a mountain lion tag plus it’s being used as a backup rifle so it’s going everywhere I go while guiding.

It’s definitely seen some bumps along the way nothing too terrible other than last night… We were leaving a glassing spot after dark and my buddies nephew accidentally bumped the rifle and tipped it over off the long bipod onto rocky sand. The scope seemed fine, no damage to glass, just a scuff mark on the windage turret cap.

After hunting this morning I got down off the mountain and checked zero before heading home for Christmas stuff. It still shot a full magazine 3 round group dead center at 200 yards. No issues. Makes me feel really good about the delivery system as a whole.

View attachment 646707

We’ve located 6 bucks so far two of which he wanted to go after. I put him onto a really cool 3x3 this morning which didn’t work out. He also missed an absolute dandy 4x4 at 363 yards yesterday. A really cool buck with a bloodied up face and missing an eye, he was chasing a doe which kept him nice and distracted.

I got him set up onto my rifle for a follow up shot with the deer moving away. He had moved out to 571 before the kid was ready and I told him to not take the shot. The deer never really quit moving and I don’t trust him to make that shot.

17 degree downhill angle, a bit tricky, kneeling position but with solid front and rear rests. Practice your different field positions folks!

View attachment 646706

We will be back out on the 26th until the 31st if needed. The Maven will be along for some more field trials. Likely will be used to kill at this point if we kill a deer, as I don’t trust this kids rifle and scope.
Curious what the kid's rifle/scope/cartridge is. ?

2y2c

FNG
So what kind of confidence does this guy have in his savage/vortex delivery system? Hopefully your experience and will motivate him to both practice more and be sure his system is as reliable as yours. Did he check his 200yd zero afterwards like you did?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
So what kind of confidence does this guy have in his savage/vortex delivery system? Hopefully your experience and will motivate him to both practice more and be sure his system is as reliable as yours. Did he check his 200yd zero afterwards like you did?
He’s learning. He’s young and was taught “old school” thinking. Hence the 30.06 for desert coues deer.

Not trying to “brag” but he’s learned more in 4 days with me than he would in a lifetime with his uncle and his hunting buddies. He’s a good kid who wants to learn.

We had to adjust his zero at 100 yards. It was not on an 8” paper plate. His rings were also loose and the scope reticle wasn’t level in the rings. His uncle who is a mutual buddy of mine got a few looks/words from me.

I’m surprising the kid with Tikka .223 and SWFA fixed 6 setup for him to keep after the hunt.

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
So went back 10 pages, could not find info, but what is the size the center dot of the mil reticle? It's oddly not on the subtension chart provided by maven.
Screenshot_20231226_030021_Chrome.jpg

TxLite

WKR
Really hoping the bundle is back in stock before the 31st so I can make use of the discount.

sndmn11

WKR

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know if you can add more than 1 gift card code to the checkout for online purchase?

It says somewhere on the website that you have to call to use more than one. That's what I did. Got it today!
The total 30mm tube length is roughly 6 5/16” according to my field tape. I’m out in the field with it mounted right now. Somebody else who has one unmounted at home could probably answer but this should be really close.

I measure overall length with included scope covers on at 14 and 7/16". The length of the 30mm clamping surface including turrets I get 6 5/16" as well.

My order came with a note that they don't have the neoprene scope covers right now and will send them by March 1, as well as a $30 gift card for their branded gear which I used to get a cool new hat. Everything looks great so far!

It says somewhere on the website that you have to call to use more than one. That's what I did. Got it today!
You ordered the bundle today over the phone? I called to ask about it but their machine said they weren't open again until the 27th.