Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

I have no issues on a 223 tikka w/ UM low rings. About to put another one on a 6 creed tikka, hopefully no issues there.

Wish I knew if maven is working on a rs5.2 with ffp. I’m sure the 1.2 would fit my needs but I like the zoom range on the 5 just a little more

I’m having frequent issues with casings bouncing off the knurling on the windage cap and back into the action. Even with UM high tikka rings. Issue seems to go away with the cap removed. Anyone replaced the cap with something low profile and smooth?
I had that problem with the SWFA scopes but haven't seen it on the RS1.2. When I was having the issue with the SWFA I found that cycling the bolt faster/harder relieved the issue for me. Not going crazy or anything but just being more deliberate about it helped a lot. I also ended up removing the side knob on a couple SWFA scopes and taped over them which completely resolved the issue.

6 creed. My scope is probably mounted further back than most.
Interesting… I’ve got a 6CM Tikka with this scope in low rings and have no issues. Got a pic?

Also… where do your casings eject normally? Mine end up a few feet to the side, probably around the 4 o’clock position

Interesting… I’ve got a 6CM Tikka with this scope in low rings and have no issues. Got a pic?

Not til Friday. Pretty obvious what’s happening though. The knurling is all beat up from brass.

I believe that for sure. I’ve had that with a SWFA 3-15 and a T3X in 223. Just wondering it it was possibly an ejector issue, not flinging the spent shell hard enough.

Or if your scope is pushed back like you said, maybe adjusting LOP would allow you to move the scope a bit to eliminate the issue.

Went out into the desert in the Jeep scouting and to watch the sunrise this morning. Brought both the Tikka/Maven rifles along as always these days. Stopped at a nice clearing on my way out, a few miles from the main road, taped a couple paper targets up on a mesquite tree.

The vast majority of my shots on varmints and predators are 300-600 yard shots in the desert, lots of the time with pretty extreme uphill and downhill shots . If you've ever hunted Arizona foothills/mountains/canyons much you know exactly the type of terrain and shots I'm talking about.

I drove back downhill 300 yards from the targets for a quick cold bore verification shot with both the .260 and .223...

316 Yards
53 Degrees F
1,532' Elevation
Wind 2-4 MPH 7 O'clock
Dialed for elevation and slight hold for wind

.260 shoots Hornady 129 SST's
.223 shoots Sierra 77 TMK's

Both rifles are still ready to kill as expected...

IMG_7133.jpg

IMG_7134.jpg

I drove back downhill 300 yards from the targets for a quick cold bore verification shot with both the .260 and .223...
Nice cold bore shots! That's a good feeling.

I'm surprised you don't have custom orange Maven RS1.2s! Looks like the custom options aren't available right now, but when you upgrade to anodized orange, let me know and I'll buy your gray ones from you.

Went out into the desert in the Jeep scouting and to watch the sunrise this morning. Brought both the Tikka/Maven rifles along as always these days. Stopped at a nice clearing on my way out, a few miles from the main road, taped a couple paper targets up on a mesquite tree.

The vast majority of my shots on varmints and predators are 300-600 yard shots in the desert, lots of the time with pretty extreme uphill and downhill shots . If you've ever hunted Arizona foothills/mountains/canyons much you know exactly the type of terrain and shots I'm talking about.

316 Yards
53 Degrees F
1,532' Elevation
Wind 2-4 MPH 7 O'clock
Dialed for elevation and slight hold for wind

.260 shoots Hornady 129 SST's
.223 shoots Sierra 77 TMK's

Both rifles are still ready to kill as expected...
I just gave you two thumbs up, but had to take off one because my wife nixed the idea of an orange Jeep. (It's okay, though, there are a couple of other colors available ...)

But seriously, nice gear - and, more importantly, nice shooting.

Been another month since I updated... These scopes are still going strong, only change at all so far has been moving the .260 into a Rokstock. 660 rounds through the Rokstock already and the scope still hasn't been adjusted. Another 800ish rounds through the .223 as well and I haven't made a single adjustment to anything on the gun.

Regular field use nothing fancy or super detrimental happening. Obviously bumps and dings taking in and out of vehicles, riding on really rough desert/canyon roads, field carried for hundreds of miles, fore-end placed on all kinds of things for rests, set down directly in dirt/rocks and leaned up against trees/rocks/cactus etc. (the horror).

Two notable "drops" on the .223 and one notable "drop" with the .260 before it went into the Rokstock this month...

.223 Drop 1: My buddy was using my .223 and leaned it up against a barbed wire fence to climb over it. When he climbed over, the wire flexed enough that the rifle slid down the wire and landed on the sandy ground directly onto the windage turret side of the scope/rifle. Zero never moved.

.223 Drop 2: I was shooting my .223 off of a pack at a coyote that was on an extreme downward angle. I set up kneeling in a position similar to this...
shoot pack.jpg
The pack and rifle ended up sliding off the rock together after I took the shot and stood up to range the other 3 coyotes in the group who took off running. The gun rode the pack most of the way down but did end up hitting barrel first and then landed windage turret side onto rock. Impact wasn't any greater than what I've seen folks doing in "drop tests" here in this thread. Scope and rifle are obviously still zeroed and haven't been touched.

.260 Drop: Shooting off the hood of my truck which has a more rounded hood than my Jeep, I left the rifle sitting there to grab a magazine and make a shot, it tipped over on the short Spartan bipod and landed on the hood of the truck. Luckily it didn't slide down the hood onto the ground. Truck hood was hurt worse than the scope/gun. I checked zero when I probably didn't need to and it was still good to go.

Another month of shooting here in Arizona before I head to Wyoming for a month or so. 4 or 5 rifles will be making the trip up there with me, including these two. My Tikka .243 also has a RS1.2 on it now, but that barrel seems to be near the end of it's life, so I'm thinking about turning it into a 6UM. Once I get that rifle figured out or if that scope moves to another rifle, I'll add it to the updates here as well. Also, hopefully my Rokstock for the .223 gets here before I leave for Wyoming. Planning to use that rifle in some really neat terrain near Hulett for the cold bore challenge this year.

Quick wipe down, cleaning the glass, and checking scope ring witness marks this morning in the gun room. Back out tomorrow morning in the desert for some fun.

maven guns.jpg

Been another month since I updated... These scopes are still going strong, only change at all so far has been moving the .260 into a Rokstock. 660 rounds through the Rokstock already and the scope still hasn't been adjusted. Another 800ish rounds through the .223 as well and I haven't made a single adjustment to anything on the gun.

Regular field use nothing fancy or super detrimental happening. Obviously bumps and dings taking in and out of vehicles, riding on really rough desert/canyon roads, field carried for hundreds of miles, fore-end placed on all kinds of things for rests, set down directly in dirt/rocks and leaned up against trees/rocks/cactus etc. (the horror).

Two notable "drops" on the .223 and one notable "drop" with the .260 before it went into the Rokstock this month...

.223 Drop 1: My buddy was using my .223 and leaned it up against a barbed wire fence to climb over it. When he climbed over, the wire flexed enough that the rifle slid down the wire and landed on the sandy ground directly onto the windage turret side of the scope/rifle. Zero never moved.

.223 Drop 2: I was shooting my .223 off of a pack at a coyote that was on an extreme downward angle. I set up kneeling in a position similar to this...
View attachment 712216
The pack and rifle ended up sliding off the rock together after I took the shot and stood up to range the other 3 coyotes in the group who took off running. The gun rode the pack most of the way down but did end up hitting barrel first and then landed windage turret side onto rock. Impact wasn't any greater than what I've seen folks doing in "drop tests" here in this thread. Scope and rifle are obviously still zeroed and haven't been touched.

.260 Drop: Shooting off the hood of my truck which has a more rounded hood than my Jeep, I left the rifle sitting there to grab a magazine and make a shot, it tipped over on the short Spartan bipod and landed on the hood of the truck. Luckily it didn't slide down the hood onto the ground. Truck hood was hurt worse than the scope/gun. I checked zero when I probably didn't need to and it was still good to go.

Another month of shooting here in Arizona before I head to Wyoming for a month or so. 4 or 5 rifles will be making the trip up there with me, including these two. My Tikka .243 also has a RS1.2 on it now, but that barrel seems to be near the end of it's life, so I'm thinking about turning it into a 6UM. Once I get that rifle figured out or if that scope moves to another rifle, I'll add it to the updates here as well. Also, hopefully my Rokstock for the .223 gets here before I leave for Wyoming. Planning to use that rifle in some really neat terrain near Hulett for the cold bore challenge this year.

Quick wipe down, cleaning the glass, and checking scope ring witness marks this morning in the gun room. Back out tomorrow morning in the desert for some fun.

View attachment 712218
Nice report. The wrapped stocks are kind of like the metal door handles in Phoenix that are covered in foam insulation or vet wrap. It gets hot down there.

I’d be interested in your take on the differences between the RokStok and the VG Hunter in actual use, but this isn’t the thread for that.

Nice report. The wrapped stocks are kind of like the metal door handles in Phoenix that are covered in foam insulation or vet wrap. It gets hot down there.

I’d be interested in your take on the differences between the RokStok and the VG Hunter in actual use, but this isn’t the thread for that.
You nailed it on the vet wrap and why I use it. First 100 degree day of 2024 slated for Saturday if weather reports stay true.

Sure I can provide some feedback on the two stocks. I believe @Formidilosus also has extensive use with both stocks, not sure if he’s posted anywhere on that specifically.

Back