Max Effective Range for Elk: 7-08, 6.5C, and 308

OP
B

BCD

WKR
All three are essentially the same within most hunters maximum effective range. And if you are asking this question, all three are likely beyond your effective range. Stop with the analysis paralysis and pick one.
I'm waiting to see if I can find a deal on an Xbolt Speed in 7-08 as they will no longer be making them. Otherwise I will probably buy an Xbolt 2 in 308. Nothing wrong with doing my homework and analysis. I don't buy a new rifle every day.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
I'm waiting to see if I can find a deal on an Xbolt Speed in 7-08 as they will no longer be making them. Otherwise I will probably buy and Xbolt 2 in 308. Nothing wrong with doing my homework and analysis. I don't buy a new rifle every day.
One thing to consider OP, is ammo availability, in that category the 6.5cm and .308 win by a mile. Between those two it’s pretty fairly close with the edge going to .308, but you can find 6.5 everywhere and it’s pretty reasonable maybe a hair more expensive than .308 in comparable loads

OP
B

BCD

WKR
One thing to consider OP, is ammo availability, in that category the 6.5cm and .308 win by a mile. Between those two it’s pretty fairly close with the edge going to .308, but you can find 6.5 everywhere and it’s pretty reasonable maybe a hair more expensive than .308 in comparable loads
Yes this is a very good point! I wish 7-08 ammo was more readily available.

ianpadron

WKR
6k feet elevation, 6.5 CM with 147s...waaayyy farther than I'll ever shoot at a critter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240229_094357.jpg
    Screenshot_20240229_094357.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 111

ianpadron

WKR
The shorter barrel life is a significant consideration for me with the 6.5C.
That argument makes no sense for anyone actually looking to be proficient at long range. You can swap a barrel yourself for $300 and 30 min.

@Article 4

Was it 3,400 ft-lbs of energy, or 340 ft-lbs of energy that created this wound in this elk?
View attachment 680449

What about this one?
View attachment 680451

What about this one- 3,400ft-lbs or 340ft-lbs?
View attachment 680455

2,600 ft-lbs, or 400ft-lbs?
View attachment 680456

2,600ft-lbs or 400ft-lbs?
View attachment 680457

Nearly 4,000ft-lbs? Or under 400?
View attachment 680458

View attachment 680459

The same- almost 4,000ft-lbs or under 400?
View attachment 680460

View attachment 680461
What bullet if you don't mind sharing?

Another consideration with 7/08 - the bullets that would maximize effective range in it aren't commonly loaded in factory ammo.

The shorter barrel life is a significant consideration for me with the 6.5C.
How long do you figure it will take you to shoot over 2500 rounds through it? If you're a factory ammo guy that's realistically pushing $4k in ammo and possibly considerably more.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Another consideration with 7/08 - the bullets that would maximize effective range in it aren't commonly loaded in factory ammo.

How long do you figure it will take you to shoot over 2500 rounds through it? If you're a factory ammo guy that's realistically pushing $4k in ammo and possibly considerably more.
I shot about 500 rounds prior to my last trip out west (not counting a handful of rounds in the woods for whitetails).

nobody

WKR
That is not my understanding with an Xbolt. Am I missing something?
On an Xbolt? I have been told otherwise
It’s not as simple/straightforward as something like a Tikka, but it’s possible to re-barrel any action essentially unless it’s a press fit barreled action assembly. The x bolt is a threaded assembly, so it can be rebarreled. It’s more difficult because it has a finer thread pitch than other rifles, but totally doable. You can order a stainless replacement barrel for your x bolt from McGowan up in Montana for $377, I just checked. Then you’d pay a smith to spin your old one off and torque the replacement on, probably $100-ish is my guess, whatever an hour of labor is. So no, a rebarrel isn’t a huge deal on an x bolt. It’s a bigger deal than something like a Tikka or a Savage, but not a huge deal by any means.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
It’s not as simple/straightforward as something like a Tikka, but it’s possible to re-barrel any action essentially unless it’s a press fit barreled action assembly. The x bolt is a threaded assembly, so it can be rebarreled. It’s more difficult because it has a finer thread pitch than other rifles, but totally doable. You can order a stainless replacement barrel for your x bolt from McGowan up in Montana for $377, I just checked. Then you’d pay a smith to spin your old one off and torque the replacement on, probably $100-ish is my guess, whatever an hour of labor is. So no, a rebarrel isn’t a huge deal on an x bolt. It’s a bigger deal than something like a Tikka or a Savage, but not a huge deal by any means.
Good to know and thank you! I really appreciate the info!!

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
There is not a black and white answer.

The maximum effective range is more of a function of bullet construction and impact velocity than the cartridge or caliber alone.

Impact velocity and bullet construction are the key functions. Without knowing the bullet you want to shoot out of each, any answer would be a disservice to your question.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’ll give you a couple explanations.

One includes many experts who are misinterpreting newtons law talking about equal and opposite reactions. They’ll tell you it matters not in animals however when we look at jell targets, the internal wound channel of fast and energetic projectiles is massive because of the energy displacing the jell. That energy ruptures blood vessels, and blows organs open or what hunters call “a pile of mush”. A single bullet hole that does not contain any energy would not do more than poking a single hole in something. Does the hole cause death, sometimes. Take an APDST round from a tank.

We know from military testing that high speed rounds that do not expand penetrate armor very effectively and make a hole. That in itself does not kill a tank. The kinetic ENERGY it produces causes massive shrapnel and internal damage. Killing the people and causing everything in the tank to melt down and sometimes ignite. Testing was done in 113’s filled with sheep. Human and animals bodies are 70% water, the internal shock wave carrying the kinetic energy from the round caused massive damage without the bullet making a hole in each of the sheep. Dead sheep

Energy matters.
That's a ridiculous analogy. APCs full of sheep don't tell a damn thing about how a hunting bullet kills. We aren't shooting supersonic sabots if depleted uranium at animals. Ask any guide in the West, and they'll tell you of elk walking off and never being found from 300WM shots under 50 yards. Plenty of energy, poor bullet choices most likely. Energy isn't killing anything unless it's from a blast overpressure. A properly placed, properly designed bullet delivered within the recommended minimum fps needed for proper upset is what kills animals.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk