Meateater - Benchmade Boning Knife Meatcrafter

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I have the Doizer

What are your thoughts on the Dozier? I've got a skinning knife of his I really enjoy.

Really impressed this thread staid mostly on the knife itself.

I used to think anything over $50 for a knife was to much and then spent sometime on the blade forum to realize I don't know very much about the knife world.

I'm not rushing out to buy one but if I saw one on the used market I would grab it to test it out.

It wasn’t long ago that $25 Havalons and $15 Vics got the job done. There’s a lot of really nice $300 custom knives out there, this sure as shit isn’t one of them.
I guarantee a $300 custom knife is not going to have this high of a quality steel.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Agree, I like s30 just fine. But this steel has some really nice qualities. Especially the corrosion resistance when your wife leaves if in the sink!

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
There’s not a lot of info on the actual steel besides it’s made in America and it’s stainless. How do you think it compares to some of the higher end Japanese or German steel, like Shun and Messermeister?

WCB

WKR
I don't get it. I've boned hundreds of animals with knives in the $50 or less range and never once said "man wish I would have spent $250 dollars more". But...I also value a good fleshing knife for for furs or a Beaver knife for clean skinning animals. I see more value for those applications than getting meat off of the bone.

Not sayin it is not a quality knife but there are probably handfuls of knifes for half or less that will give you identical performance. But there are always guys with 100% custom rifles and couple thousand dollar optics that hunt for a couple weekends a year and never shoot over 100 yards. To each their own.

Most Benchmade knifes are already in the $200-250 range. So for the additional features I don't really think it's all that expensive. Cool blade shape, good steal, astetically pleasing and a nice sheeth.

That being said I won't be getting on anytime soon, because I'll be using my cheap fillet knife. But I think it'd make a great gift for someone who processes themselves and does lots of cooking.

R_burg

WKR
There’s not a lot of info on the actual steel besides it’s made in America and it’s stainless. How do you think it compares to some of the higher end Japanese or German steel, like Shun and Messermeister?
What do you mean? It says it's S45VN.

This is way better steel than in cheap German knives.

Shun is overpriced unless it's on a big sale. VG-Max is pretty much VG-10. FWIW, it's not high end Japanese steel.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
What do you mean? It says it's S45VN.

This is way better steel than in cheap German knives.

Shun is overpriced unless it's on a big sale. VG-Max is pretty much VG-10. FWIW, it's not high end Japanese steel.

thanks for the clarification and info. I’m not a metallurgical engineer or a chef, just asking about what I had experience with that’s above the quality of Farberware, so shun is high end to me.

2rocky

WKR
When a commercial meat processing people start paying that kind of money for a boning knife I'll know it is worth it.

What was the term someone used "Brand Tax"?

I won't begrudge someone for buying one though. It looks good. And really a hunting knife spends more time being displayed on a belt than in your hand. Same goes for fancy pistol grips, or checkering on gun stocks and engraved receivers. Dress them up as you like.

R_burg

WKR
thanks for the clarification and info. I’m not a metallurgical engineer or a chef, just asking about what I had experience with that’s above the quality of Farberware, so shun is high end to me.
Its all good, sorry if I came off wrong. Most high end Japanese knives are made from a high carbon steel or a powdered steel. Most japenese knife guys prefer high carbon steel, but the powdered steels have a very high HRC with more corrosion resistance and they are used in some knives. Your lower end Japansese knives will be VG-10 or the like.

This stuff is always changing and its not my main hobby or anything, but I have some nice kitchen knives.

R_burg

WKR
I agree with those that said the price is a little high, but not anything crazy. This isnt a knife you bring in the field, its a boning knife you use once the animal is back at home. I have similar knives so I wont be buying it, but I like the design and SV45 is a nice steel.

KSP277

WKR
I find it strange that people on this site draw the line for high end gear at knives. Ultra expensive clothes are cool but knives are stupid? If the handle was in a KUIU/Shitka/firstlite camo pattern maybe Itd be cooler. Before anybody’s panties get bunched up... it’s a joke calm down. No offense meant to anybody and all that Jazz.

It’s funny that I thought this knife was expensive. I then started thinking of how expensive the gear I have beside me right now is ( Swaro BTX, Swaro ELs, CA Ridgeline, Leupold MK5, Kifaru setup, WM Bag) and man, that price ain’t too bad!

I’ll take that ridgeline off your hands if you wanted to downsize your goods...

rcb2000

WKR
I’m happy to spend a lot for performance, and Benchmade is a very good company with a solid heat treat on S30V, that being said $300 is high IMO.
For all you knife nuts, I’d rather get a Carothers with the Delta heat treated 3V for $240, but your mileage may vary.