MeatEater Shooting for $100M in Revenues

Every time you visit this forum you count as a visit which turns into a traffic count which gives rokslide the ability to charge companies to advertise here. You are part of the machine you dislike so much.

Can you tell me one sport or hobby that doesn't have a commercial industry around it with the intent to make money off of the people that participate in that activity? Name one.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Point flew right over your head. Not surprised by some of your other posts, carry on.

Monetizing hunting GEAR is NOT Monetizing hunting public lands in general.

My old man taught me to hunt public land with ZERO interest in gaining financially from teaching me.

But you can make a meme. Not sure how i feel about “growm” men making memes tbh?
Do you use OnX, GoHunt or another public land mapping software? Aren't they monetizing public land hunting?

Monetizing hunting GEAR is NOT Monetizing hunting public lands in general.

My old man taught me to hunt public land with ZERO interest in gaining financially from teaching me.

But you can make a meme. Not sure how i feel about “growm” men making memes tbh?
Okay, you win the internet argument about another man's money.

grfox92

WKR
Nope didn't fly over my head. It's just nonsensical.

I saw where you wrote in another reply to someone challenging your rant "ITS NOT DEBATABLE" that's a pretty ridiculous statement coming from a guy who has only posted his opinionated conspiracies.

Just so you know, your opinion is 100 percent debatable. Because it's an opinion and not facts.

intunegp

WKR
Maybe everyone that's super angry about this should no longer participate in hunting since Steve Rinella single-handedly ruined it for everyone.

How much is Realtree going to make this year? They have social media full of grip-and-grins run by sponsored hunters, hunting shows, tons of products they'd love you to buy...what's the difference? Where's the anti Bill Jordan crowd and why are they so quiet?

News flash...there isn't a company that sells guns, bows, optics, clothes, backpacks, or boots that wouldn't love more people to take up hunting so they can sell more product. This just in...they all do as much as they can to make this happen, again, so they can sell more product.

This phenomenon isn't new and MeatEater isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before. If there are too many people in the woods/mountains/water for you, stay home and do your part to reduce the overcrowding.

Nope didn't fly over my head. It's just nonsensical.

I saw where you wrote in another reply to someone challenging your rant "ITS NOT DEBATABLE" that's a pretty ridiculous statement coming from a guy who has only posted his opinionated conspiracies.

Just so you know, your opinion is 100 percent debatable. Because it's an opinion and not facts.

It was a direct response to his “it’s not debatable” comment. So yeah, flew right over your head bud.

Will_m

WKR
To everybody making the “well don’t use it” argument, surely there is something you either don’t like or disagree with but still use. It’s a pretty quixotic position to take. You would be refusing to use it for moral purposes only.

I also think there’s a sliding scale of monetization. This forum is one end and the hunting videos is on the other end. Talking about it and selling ads based on traffic is different than putting out videos revolving around the actual kill. But yeah, it’s not a black and white thing.

To everybody making the “well don’t use it” argument, surely there is something you either don’t like or disagree with but still use. It’s a pretty quixotic position to take. You would be refusing to use it for moral purposes only.

I also think there’s a sliding scale of monetization. This forum is one end and the hunting videos is on the other end. Talking about it and selling ads based on traffic is different than putting out videos revolving around the actual kill. But yeah, it’s not a black and white thing.
Finally, a rational response. There is clearly a spectrum of monetization as you have pointed out. This forum and its founders utilize many different mediums for said monetization. Books, YouTube, podcasts, IG and this true social site among other things.

Everyone responding on this thread has a different line on that spectrum that they consider someone has crossed from an acceptable level of monetization to exploitation.

However, to make the claim that no level of monetization through social media is acceptable, while actively participating is ironic. Which was my entire point.

I have no desire to shove my sense of morality (only my smug attitude) on other random dudes on the internet but for the record, I believe Rokslide is further to the ‘okay’ side than meat eater but i don’t think they are as far apart as many would like to believe. I can say with full conviction Rokslide sponsors get a lot more of my money than meat eater affiliates. I bet the same is true for many of you.

SDHNTR

WKR
I don’t like monetizing hunting, but imo Rinella is actually far less offensive in that regard than others. Rinella got to where he is by making good entertainment. His stuff is undeniably good. He was the first articulate, well educated tv hunter who came along at the right time and illustrated us in a manner that didn’t make us seem like trailer park bubbas. I appreciate that.

Imo, the real offenders are the Newbergs of the world, taking money to promote tags, and blasting the endless how to’s on YT. Imo, they have a bigger negative impact than Rinellas style of entertainment. How to apply here, how to hunt otc, how to draw this tag. That’s the crap I despise. That’s what clogs trailheads, accelerates point creep and directly kills draw odds. No one has to learn the hard way anymore. Newberg and the boys broke down the learning curve. And here we are.

I don’t like monetizing hunting, but imo Rinella is actually far less offensive in that regard than others. Rinella got to where he is by making good entertainment. His stuff is undeniably good. He was the first articulate, well educated tv hunter who came along at the right time and illustrated us in a manner that didn’t make us seem like trailer park bubbas. I appreciate that.

Imo, the real offenders are the Newbergs of the world, taking money to promote tags, and blasting the endless how to’s on YT. Imo, they have a bigger negative impact than Rinellas style of entertainment. How to apply here, how to hunt otc, how to draw this tag. That’s the crap I despise. That’s what clogs trailheads, accelerates point creep and directly kills draw odds. No one has to learn the hard way anymore. Newberg and the boys broke down the learning curve. And here we are.
Curious how you (as in all of you but your post made me think it) feel about this forum allowing sponsors to promote their how to's or the "dont forget to apply here" posts? How about the podcasts this forum sponsors? Because they arent doing all this for free. While it is less its still the same game.

How to apply here, how to hunt otc, how to draw this tag. That’s the crap I despise.
Isnt this forum you support full of this?

A bunch of people have said its not the same but isnt it really all part of the same machine? Someone said non-hunters are not reading this sight. Thats not true. There a re tons of topics on here that a search will pull up. I remember the thread on buying a home and someone said they joined just to comment on that thread because they were searching about buying a home. I think they even said they were not a hunter. If a non-hunter can find this sight someone dipping their toe into hunting surely will.

If we are honest there is a hell of a lot more info on Rokslide to get someone into hunting than there is on a season of Meateater.

SDHNTR

WKR
Curious how you (as in all of you but your post made me think it) feel about this forum allowing sponsors to promote their how to's or the "dont forget to apply here" posts? How about the podcasts this forum sponsors? Because they arent doing all this for free. While it is less its still the same game.

Isnt this forum you support full of this?

A bunch of people have said its not the same but isnt it really all part of the same machine? Someone said non-hunters are not reading this sight. Thats not true. There a re tons of topics on here that a search will pull up. I remember the thread on buying a home and someone said they joined just to comment on that thread because they were searching about buying a home. I think they even said they were not a hunter. If a non-hunter can find this sight someone dipping their toe into hunting surely will.

If we are honest there is a hell of a lot more info on Rokslide to get someone into hunting than there is on a season of Meateater.
Yeah you aren’t wrong, I think guys are pretty cautious here about units and such tho. And this place is a mere drop in the bucket compared to YouTube. I know dozens and dozens of other hunters. They all watch hunting on YT, yet I can count the RS members on one hand.

Yeah you aren’t wrong, I think guys are pretty cautious here about units and such tho. And this place is a mere drop in the bucket compared to YouTube. I know dozens and dozens of other hunters. They all watch hunting on YT, yet I can count the RS members on one hand.
Just to be clear I am not attacking you, or anyone. But just because its a drop in the bucket doesnt mean its not part of the problem so many complain about.

How about Robby's books. "How to kill the best buck of your life", think that gets some Google hits? How did that go over on this site? Does that not fall into the "how to" category? The monetization category? Did you (as in people that complain about Meateater) buy it?

Wife and I ran into Steve at a coffee shop in 2020 between the old stone glacier shop and extreme performance archery/now straight 6. She wasn’t too impressed. I had read all his books and star struck was fading by that point. 2016 I was a big fan! I’ve lost the lust. About gone in 2020!

ODB

WKR
Wife and I ran into Steve at a coffee shop in 2020 between the old stone glacier shop and extreme performance archery/now straight 6. She wasn’t too impressed. I had read all his books and star struck was fading by that point. 2016 I was a big fan! I’ve lost the lust. About gone in 2020!

Funny. A friend of a friend was an assistant to a person Steve had on his podcast once long ago. She also was less than impressed at the interaction.