Modding home gym dumbells for heavy pressing

Mitchb

FNG
Due to living in a pretty rural area and having a super busy schedule I train mostly at home.

Attachments

• IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
OP
M

Mitchb

FNG
I used 6" black pipe 1" Id nipple for the grips. Wrapped them in my kid's hockey tape.
View attachment 44385
They work great and have room for eight ten pound plates if you use the same ones that I did. They are also really inexpensive at Walmart.

GKPrice

Banned
I used 6" black pipe 1" Id nipple for the grips. Wrapped them in my kid's hockey tape.
View attachment 44385
They work great and have room for eight ten pound plates if you use the same ones that I did. They are also really inexpensive at Walmart.

been a "gym rat" since I was 14 y/o - when alone I always use dumbells for benches but unlike the meatheads who think it cool to drop them when finished with a set, I've looked at it as part of the process of lifting - at one stretch of time I benched and incline pressed up to 120#'s regularly and never had trouble with starting seated on the bench with them on my knees then kicking them to position and reversing that when finished - sort of the same as putting plates away when done, it's part of the exercise process and you'll be stronger because of it - Just REMEMBER ALWAYS to use strict form, it's not the weight ... it's the form in doing the exercise that keeps you strong and HEALTHY (I have 2x bilateral rotator cuff scars and upcoming bilateral knees to speak to that) RULE # 1) GOOD FORM RULE #2) ALWAYS OBEY RULE #1

GKPrice

Banned
Due to living in a pretty rural area and having a super busy schedule I train mostly at home. I definitely have limited space and a small budget so I use plate loadable dumbells to meet those needs. As you know trying to "kick up" one of these for shoulder or chest pressing is pretty awkward and not comfortable. Here is my solution, I am posting the finished product first so you don't have to waste your time scrolling if not interested. Attempt at you own risk. Tools and heavy objects are dangerous!
View attachment 44377

The process starts out with some "golds gym" dumbells Handles from Walmart. I cut the rubber grip off.
View attachment 44378
View attachment 44379
I then cut out 2- 8" circles for some scrap 11 ga steel. I used a torchmate but an oxy torch or jigsaw is an option.
View attachment 44380
Clean them up with a wire cup
View attachment 44381
Cont.

BEWARE of those coarse thread bars, they come lose too easy - there are 2 or 3 dumb bell sets that are quick change and affordable, I've used them in times when I had no gym or opportunity to get to one and they work really really well (and they're safe) IF you're "power lifting" you'll get better results and better longevity for your body by only doing max weights once a week, reps with mid weight give just as good of results IME